HMS Victory by Bill97 - FINISHED - Heller - 1/100 - PLASTIC

Thanks Ian. Still can’t figure out where the end of the line you have wrapped around the end of the anchor goes. Does it just tie to the channel? I looked back to #1419 and remember now you explained the chain there. I really must apologize for repeating my question. 

Edited by Bill97

Ian after reading #1419 over and over again I think I finally understand 😊

That anchor buoy is what the lashing on the anchor is. When the anchor is pulled up the rope is coiled and hung on the shrouds. So am I correct to understand that when the anchor was dropped the buoy was dropped with it and floated on top the water to show where the anchor was?  If so I understand now after studying your pictures and text. I definitely apologize for being so dense. 😀

So I would not add that lashing on the anchor unless I plan to add the buoy as well?

You've got it. Even if you add the buoys you don't necessarily have to add the coils. At sea the buoys would not be rigged, just hanging on the shrouds out of the way. I just connected one to show what it was. Rather like the way they hang each anchor on the real ship differently, to show the different stages of catting and fishing.

On 9/29/2022 at 10:21 PM, Ian_Grant said:

Yes, although it is terrible what we are seeing in the news from Florida, it's amusing to keep hearing how powerful "Ian " is, especially after hearing the same thing last week about "Fiona".  My daughter's name is Fiona; it's odd that both our names came up as hurricanes in consecutive weeks.

Do you share the same Zodiac sign?

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Thanks my friend. I just could not get my head around anchor buoys. I had never heard that term or seen such a thing.  When I looked at your anchor rigging picture I was seeing three different rigging features used to hold the anchor up horizontal. The “cat stoopper”, shank painter chain, and this unnamed white rope seized and wrapped around the end. It looked as if it lead up to the channel and tied there maybe to help support that end of the anchor. Even though you had described it earlier it just was not clicking in my old brain that line was not helping to support the anchor. It was simply running up to and attached to the anchor buoy. Appreciate your patience. 

I now have the four anchors attached and rigged. Ian on your recommendation I removed the anchor ring and repositioned it to better reflect a more natural hang. With the attachment of the anchors the construction and rigging of my HMS Victory is, do I dare say, complete!  Now to add life to the ship with a working crew. I have a handful of crewmen that deserted my USS Constitution. Not sure they came aboard the Victory voluntarily but once I get them in their new uniforms and show them around the ship, I am sure the will adjust nicely or find themselves in a he brig😀.

I have a couple characters that I can select from to make my one armed Nelson wearing his hat the way he preferred. 

C3EA7704-DF5A-4E5E-B1FC-A67048438726.jpeg

535C6997-7103-446B-B9DD-44802766D50F.jpeg

2A59055E-F0CA-4901-A74C-C91F162FD57A.jpeg

05CC3478-1998-4EF1-869E-EF2F4DE06879.jpeg

She looks Great Bill....but not quite so fast....😁....the bower anchor shank should be above the middle gun deck ports - see the pic of actual ship in #1419. You may find it difficult to hang the anchor in the shoe while having it this high, I know I did because the tip of the fluke caroms off the hull before its fat end sits in the shoe. Something wrong there! I think I trimmed a little off the fluke's tip to get it to hang.

Once you lift the bowers up a little, you truly are done....😃👍🤙

Looking forward to following your SR build!

It's been great fun.

Regards, Ian

Thanks Ian. I see what you are talking about. Will get to shipyard early to make this correction!  Still dealing with disgruntled USS Constitution crew that will need newly painted clothing and looking for my Admiral Nelson. 

it has been great fun Ian. Could not have done it without you. 

By the way my wife and I watch this series on TV called House Hunter International. Last night’s episode was about a couple looking for the perfect home in Ottawa. The parts of your city in the episode are beautiful!  I always enjoy our visits to Canada. 

Yes, Ottawa is beautiful. Thank God I was hired here straight out of the University of Toronto and so was able to kiss goodbye to traffic-choked "T.O." forever. Wonder which parts you saw on the show? Rockcliffe Park perhaps? (A wealthy enclave). (I don't live there). 😃Although I did once work on a job adding walk-in closets in the basement of a tech-megamillionaire's house in there (he flies a WW II Spitfire, amongst others in his collection!).

Have you visited here at all Bill?  If you like the outdoors it's a great place to live. Bicycle paths along the rivers and the canal, as well as through various neighbourhoods; great swimming in lakes 1/2 hour across the river, fantastic x-country skiing just across the Ottawa River in Gatineau Park (about 200km of well-groomed trails which can be hiked in the summer); several local ski hills plus Mont Tremblant 3 hours away; a plethora of skating rinks (I can think of eight surfaces within 10 minutes of my house) plus, even better, outdoor skating on the frozen canal (8 km one way) in the winter, also groomed, weather permitting. And this town is  just not that big so it's easy to get out into the country.

Maybe I could get a gig with Ottawa Tourism? 😄

Ian the anchors are fixed!

In and he episode we watched the couple and realtor were looking at old Queen Anne style grand houses. Very grand in size. We have been to Toronto and then east toward Lake Ontario. Beautiful little town we stayed in was Niagara by the Sea, I think that was the name.  Several times we have ventured up to Halifax and other parts of NS. 

3530981B-13AE-4500-B541-A01C953ABD59.jpeg

Edited by Bill97

Always love a good porter 🍺😀

Got my one arm Admiral Nelson. His head is turned to the right and looking up. Trying to decide where to position him. Have him near the back looking up at the rigging and up near the bowsprit looking over things up there. Other places could be good as well 😊

823CB481-7E4E-4703-80E7-367040EE55EA.jpeg

45FFC036-269B-48A9-AB84-6F4FA2B08A4C.jpeg

Edited by Bill97

As I a tinkering around with my crew I decided to make some barrels being loaded on the ship by the crew. A 1/4” wood rod is almost perfect at 1/100 scale for the diameter of a barrel. Cut to length, painted, and wrapped with thin pieces of black tape makes a great barrel. Did not try to taper top and bottom as a real barrel is. 

8202F0A0-DEBC-4F18-8ACF-14C1F6453652.jpeg

Wonderfully done!

XXXDAn

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Kentucky bourbon Ian!  🥃 

Legend has it that Admiral Nelson and Lady Hamilton secretly visited Kentucky before this sailing. While here they tasted bourbon for the first time and liked it better than rum!  He requested enough barrels for the two of them and the crew. 😀

Or so the story goes. I am not sure if it is true. 

11 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Kentucky bourbon Ian!  🥃 

Legend has it that Admiral Nelson and Lady Hamilton secretly visited Kentucky before this sailing. While here they tasted bourbon for the first time and liked it better than rum!  He requested enough barrels for the two of them and the crew. 😀

Or so the story goes. I am not sure if it is true. 

Well, Nelson did chase Villeneuve across the Atlantic and back a little while before Trafalgar (Victory's only trans-Atlantic voyage, memorably painted by Geoff Hunt); maybe he bought some Bourbon in the Caribbean somewhere....😄

Gentlemen it is FINISHED!!  Thanks so much to all of you who joined me in this adventure. I learned so much that I will definitely use on my future builds. This was an absolute pleasure and memories I will treasure for you ever. Hopefully as I venture into my next build, the Heller Soleli Royal, you guys will still be here for advice and guidance. Thanks again so much. Not to the wood shop to build her case. 

45DBE5E2-DF65-4DF5-9BE7-62A5C644AB18.jpeg

C399E6F9-4A33-4B96-90AA-0FE7C021300F.jpeg

AB3451C0-632F-45D6-86CF-20DC3A5CF294.jpeg

607CDF1F-BAA9-4C4F-93C9-09BCCDEC71B5.jpeg

83F7E67D-A541-471D-9C80-4376825D8B8A.jpeg

0BECB0C8-9A58-485D-A62F-04D6074395DF.jpeg

4A6FED98-00E8-4F7F-B20D-BDFD5E9991B8.jpeg

57368A3C-FD98-4252-957E-8456C6C497C5.jpeg

2FB29205-36AC-4965-9E65-B8FD11E00822.jpeg

637CF2DC-D6A1-4E83-943F-782E0F823A47.jpeg

35FD44C8-AF92-471B-8D7B-C6F5D104E359.jpeg

E3EA24CF-1752-4D01-A3CF-0A048863C8F0.jpeg

60D7E21A-6D8E-4AB3-AA66-3DCE1BFB4AF5.jpeg

83BC94BE-1D15-4D55-B9B5-242377F41EA1.jpeg

4009BBBC-F550-4D3C-8E11-093B94CB65AF.jpeg

869228D4-6436-4DB0-B80B-3D216261DBC6.jpeg

2D76C72B-4136-4065-8B9D-DED3F7781ECC.jpeg

Mexspur I will be starting my Soleli Royal soon and will start a new build blog. Hopefully you will join in with your thoughts and comments. And, of course, I very much hope my other friends and followers will continue to join in and offer advice. The number of current and past builders of the Soleli Royal is a fraction of the builders of the Victory. I am a little concerned about not having as much shared first hand experience. We will see out this new adventure goes. Please come along!

She’s a remarkable achievement, Bill!  I hope you’ve cracked into a bottle of Papi Van Winkel, or something similarly rarified to celebrate the occasion.

I’ll be looking for your SR log.  The main thing on that build will be to take your time.  My recommendation would be to sand away all of the raised grain with 50 grit paper;  the resulting scratches in the surface of the plastic will give you a much better sense of grain structure that shows well with wash coats.

I’ll see you there in a beat or two!

We are all works in progress, all of the time.