HMS Victory by Bill97 - FINISHED - Heller - 1/100 - PLASTIC

Bill, I just did a good catch up on your build, it’s looking fabulous with all that rigging. You must be quite close to finishing now?

Current builds:

1) HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller)

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23247-hms-victory-by-kevin-the-lubber-heller-1100-plastic-with-3d-printed-additions/

2) Bluenose II 1:100 (Billing) - paused, not in the mood

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30694-billing-bluenose-ii-1100-no600-by-kevin-the-lubber/

3) Cutty Sark 1:96 Revell

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30964-cutty-sark-by-kevin-the-lubber-revell-196

Stash:

Revell Cutty Sark 1/96 (a spare for later)

Revell Beagle 1/96 (unlikely to ever get built!)

Revell Kearsage 1/96 (can't wait to get started on this)

Revell Constitution 1/96

If at first you don't succeed, buy some more tools.

Kevin I am almost done with the rigging!  A little bit here and there, trim off excess thread at belay points, and add all the rope coils. After that i got to paint 😳and attach the lanterns, put on the anchors, and lastly the davits and boats. I am heading to the finish line!  

Ok gentlemen now that I completed the rigging I am moving on to some additional parts of the ship. As usual I already have a question and confusion.

1. Figure 180 page 255 of Longridge shows a 7” block for the ensign signal haliards at the end of the driver gaff.  Where is the other end of this haliard connected?  

2. The Heller kit came with a flag pole of sorts that is mounted on the back. You see the bottom of it in Longridge’s Plan No 2.  This makes me wonder do the driver gaff and driver boom on an actual ship rotate left or right around the mizzenmast, or are they designed to just move up and down the mast?  I can’t see how the boom could move left or right with this flagpole plan n the way. 

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

Ok gentlemen now that I completed the rigging I am moving on to some additional parts of the ship. As usual I already have a question and confusion.

1. Figure 180 page 255 of Longridge shows a 7” block for the ensign signal halyards at the end of the driver gaff.  Where is the other end of this haliard connected?  

2. The Heller kit came with a flag pole of sorts that is mounted on the back. You see the bottom of it in Longridge’s Plan No 2.  This makes me wonder do the driver gaff and driver boom on an actual ship rotate left or right around the mizzenmast, or are they designed to just move up and down the mast?  I can’t see how the boom could move left or right with this flagpole plan n the way. 

1.     The ensign is flown from the aftermost gaff peak when a ship is under sail. The halyard is lead down to a convenient cleat on the boom inboard (or sometimes at the mast) so that the halyard belaying point is easily accessible from the deck. In this fashion, the halyard moves with the gaff sail as it moves across the centerline of the vessel.

2.     The ensign is flown from a staff on the centerline at the stern when the vessel is not under sail. When not under sail, the aftermost boom is secured slightly to port or starboard of the ensign staff. The ensign staff is struck and and stowed on deck when the ship is sailing. If your model will not have sails set, the ensign should be flown from the ensign staff. If the model has sails, the ensign should be flown from the aftermost gaff peak and the ensign staff should be stowed on deck. When the ensign is flown from the ensign staff, the ensign halyard and its block remain rigged at the gaff peak with the halyard belayed at its cleat. 

At present, photos indicate that Victory secures her aftermost boom to port of her ensign staff. I can't discern the ensign gaff peak halyard in the below picture. It may be that because she is in a dry dock and never sails, they haven't bothered to rig a gaff peak ensign halyard at all. (I don't see the boom topping lifts, either, perhaps for the same reason. The ensign in the photo is much smaller than the ensigns flown in earlier times, which were much larger for better visibility at sea.)

5958469142_abef5534c7_b.jpg

On the other hand.... I expect the duty signalman found himself on report the day this photo was taken! :D 

cb1c6f3e932916808279a8729aebf302.jpg

Large ensign flying from the ensign staff while the ship is anchored. A spectrum of various sized ensigns were carried for various occasions.

victory.jpg?fit=400%2C294

Your are right Ian on painting those lanterns! I have started them but not at the part of the tiny frame work of the “glass”.  I also have Daniel’s brass etched support for them I need to study. 

Bob Cleek was very helpful with his explanation of the ensign staff. So I can accomplish that. I need to come up with an ensign to fly. 

I also still need to hang the four anchors. Way back when I started this as a young man 😊 I followed Daniel’s advise and moved the shoe that the anchor hangs on a bit further back from where Heller had it molded. Now I guess I just refer to pictures to see how all four anchors are hung. 

I also still need to connect the other ends of the chains that are currently attached to the rudder. It looks as if they attach somewhere in and around the mizzenmast channel.  The studsails yards that are hung on the mainmast channel are on the to do list as well. 

Then I have a handful of crewman to paint. They are 1/96 scale from a previous Revell model. I forget which one. The scale is slightly different but I don’t think enough to be glaringly obvious. Most of them are crew looking. None of them are molded in a way I could simulate Admiral Nelson in full dress gear, especially the head gear. 

Then lastly a general cleanup and painting touch up. After that she should be ready for the display case I still need to build. I will need to decide which direction to have her face in the display case so I can decide which side of the base to put the name plate on. 

So so still a bit of work to go. 😊

Bill, you can get an ensign and a union jack, period correct, from BECC. They make several sizes. I never did add a commission pennant; couldn't find a period accurate the right size. Maybe someday I can add one.

P1010140.thumb.JPG.b2c2fbe0dbaa4a1cffe9a7af6469bc1e.JPG

The rudder chains become rope; they pass through a hole in the channel just in front of the gunport with the double lids and end in a knot.

Blue Ensign converted a Revell figure to Nelson, and another to Captain Hardy. I copied him. We used the figure standing with arms akimbo. Cut off Nelson's arm and use a sliver of evergreen to fashion the pinned-up sleeve. Cut his legs at the knee and remove a bit then reattach since he was shorter than Hardy. Shave down the lower pant legs to simulate stockings. Add uniform coat tails with evergreen. Fashion the bicorn hat from evergreen with a drilled hole to glue onto his head. Add a sword from brass tube. I even added a queue to Nelson but it cannot be seen behind him. Remember, Nelson wore his hat in the older style, across his head, while Hardy wore his in the new style, fore and aft.

Here are my Nelson and Hardy. My "flesh" paint was a bit thick and went on as a bit of a blob unfortunately. They look awful close up, but at viewing range they look good. Hardy's "stockings" didn't go well, or maybe I just gave up after Nelson.

Nelson_Hardy_1.thumb.JPG.5438f7c38ba89249c23668bb4737ae25.JPG

Nelson_Hardy_2.jpg.6edfaf8c19fc5f1aaa74daf25f670088.jpg

4 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Thanks Ian. I also forgot to list a big job I still have on the To Do list. I have to attach the davits with Daniel’s etched connection pieces, then rig them, and then put on the three boats. 

The provided boats themselves are lacking, both in numbers and details. Victory carried six. I seem to recall that you added some ribs or floorboards to yours, but do you have any extra Revell boats in your parts box from earlier builds? They could be pressed into service.

Blue Ensign went to much trouble over his boats, especially the pinnace, which inspired me to do the same.

P1010135.thumb.JPG.62fc1555cae59b3cdb35cb5d935dadac.JPG

P1010136.thumb.JPG.b8e999653861458c96b722677e577f2e.JPG

Got the Ensign staff installed to include a pulley and haliard for raising and lowering. Also have the block and haliard on the gaff and boom even though not being used. Heller provided a satisfactory high quality paper ensign so I used it on the staff and rolled a bit of curl in it to represent a little wind. 

No Ian I unfortunately only have the three boats Heller provided. I suppose I will put one on each davit and decide what to do with the third. If I stumble on additional boats in the future I may add more. 

I included the assortment of 1/96 Revell crewmen I am going to use. A couple have in uniforms not of the period and will require some modifications. 

I am studying the operation of the davits. I think I understand (maybe) the rigging but I am curious about the haliard that reeves through the end and down to the double block with the hook. Does it just belay to a cleat or something at the bottom of the davit?  Did the crewmen climb out on it to raise the boats?

A8AAFC1A-857B-415E-90B2-0E626E36FBF2.jpeg

14B8B3EF-70C7-4F37-B99A-635BE59DBDE7.jpeg

3F4BA870-5E10-48E3-BC6E-D851D8A345E4.jpeg

E1211FED-4F63-4ED5-9EDB-FF96A68EF3DD.jpeg

8 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Heller provided a satisfactory high quality paper ensign so I used it on the staff and rolled a bit of curl in it to represent a little wind. 

Don't afraid to roll the ensign a bit more. Just think of the weight of the canvas, a breeze wouldn't blow that so far. Practice on a single sheet of paper if you want.
I did this technique on my Vasa some 30+ years ago, and despite the model was greatly demolished by curious little hands (4 year old), the flags still looks pretty good. Will send a picture if i will near the ship.

Worked on the davits today. I have the brass etched hinges from Daniel. To make a better fit with Daniel’s hinges I drilled out the end of the davit and inserted a strong wire the right gauge to fit the hole in the hinge. I then used a bit of CA glue to hold the wire in the drilled out hole. I bent the little brass hinges and glued them to the hull in the appropriate spots. After spending 30-45 minutes on my hands and knees looking for one of the tiny brass hinges that decided to go airborne I glued it in place along with the others. I sandwiched the davits between pairs of hinges with the wire in the hole of the little hinge making a perfect little hinge.  Before I put the davits in place I added a cleat at the base of each to later accept the haliard.  I rigged the davits in accordance with Longridge.  I will later add the haliard that reeves through the end of each davit and include a block and hook to accept the boats. 
One thing I noticed during the rigging is the back part triangle shape jackstay topping lift runs very close to the main yard brace, almost touching it.  I could not find anything I was doing wrong so I can only assume this is correct. 

5ED5E736-F162-4DC9-B072-E9C33C02F126.jpeg

4FB6753B-2B78-438E-8E17-8BF6777CA995.jpeg

E72975CA-3ABE-43F6-B52B-B7E04F18A87D.jpeg

79636E95-3DB6-4DE9-8B9D-B0624DE8BAF1.jpeg

863A98BC-FB80-4D9B-8522-B694603A6DCE.jpeg

33C1F497-8F03-4A6E-9DAB-4CEB73011B5C.jpeg

FBAFB3E2-A93E-4C0C-ABC7-75C1131CE807.jpeg

Edited by Bill97

Very well done Bill, you’ve got that done far more quickly than I expected. Everyone talks of it taking years! Boats…. they’re my current preoccupation too.

Current builds:

1) HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller)

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23247-hms-victory-by-kevin-the-lubber-heller-1100-plastic-with-3d-printed-additions/

2) Bluenose II 1:100 (Billing) - paused, not in the mood

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30694-billing-bluenose-ii-1100-no600-by-kevin-the-lubber/

3) Cutty Sark 1:96 Revell

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30964-cutty-sark-by-kevin-the-lubber-revell-196

Stash:

Revell Cutty Sark 1/96 (a spare for later)

Revell Beagle 1/96 (unlikely to ever get built!)

Revell Kearsage 1/96 (can't wait to get started on this)

Revell Constitution 1/96

If at first you don't succeed, buy some more tools.

Thank you Kevin. I think part of the reason has been that I am retired an able to work as much or as little as I want. My wife says she is happy for me that I have a hobby that I am so passionate about and does not mind if some days I spend hours in the shipyard. 😀

I am also quite sure I have gained time immeasurably from you, and my many other friends here on MSW, who have done the vast time consuming research and willingly passed it on. It is easy for me to just ask a question when I am stuck or confused about something and usually have my answer in a day or two. Those going before me probably spent many days researching the answer. And of course I can’t forget get Ian who has the Longridge book memorized! 😊

But back to my ship. After reading a number of recent post I am thinking of doing something that I don’t know if it is a ship building sin or not! 😳

I am thinking about raiding a previous built ship from years ago for some of its crew and a boat or two!  My Revell 1/96 USS Constitution is in a display case high on a wall where the deck is above eye level. The only person that knows there are crewmen standing on the deck is me. Also I am the only person that knows there are several boats on that deck as well. My Victory display case will be below eye level so if I was to raid those items they would be very much on display in my Victory case. Is it considered forbidden to raid a previous build? 😊

I guess you are right Dave. I think I will pretend Admiral Nelson offered the crew better paying jobs and they jumped ship! 😊

Got to think about my excuse for the stolen boat or two. My honesty always comes out 😀

Next I am going to hang boats on the davit haliards and then move to the anchors. Got to look for some good pictures that show how the anchors are rigged. Then I finally have to get back to painting the lanterns and my crew.