Returning to the Craft

After a hiatus of over 25 years, I find myself longing for the peaceful tranquility and emotional satisfaction I once enjoyed in the craft of ship modeling. There is most certainly truth in the words "A time for every purpose under heaven."

I'd been fascinated with the craft at a relatively early age. At the Maritime Museum in Beaufort, NC, I met the man who would introduce me to ship modeling - the late Frank Gaskill. To refer to Frank as a "Master" at the craft of ship modeling would be to belittle his extraordinary skill, knowledge, and artistry. He guided me in my first project, Harold Hahn's "Hannah," with a level of patience and sharing of his vast knowledge underlain by his often spoken desire, "...to teach the next generation..."

During my "apprenticeship" years, I was blessed to earn the friendship of many of the "Old Guard." There was the late Charlie Files, producer of the Preac Table saw - the tool many spoke of with a degree of reverence. Clay Feldman, publisher of "Ships in Scale" magazine whose issues were read over and over until the paper was yellowed and brittle. There were so many others. Scottie Dayton of Manitowoc, WI, for example, as well as the great Portia Takajian.

Next to Frank was another man, revered by all, who I would often drive 12 hours to visit for the simple pleasure of hearing his many stories, the late Abe Taubman. At the time, everyone's greatest fear was that with Abe's passing would also come the demise of what was considered the ship modeler's "Library of Alexandria" - Taubman Plans Service. Few knew that this vast storehouse of knowledge was little more than a small cubbyhole in the Jersey City, NJ apartment he and his wife raised their two daughters. I will be forever happy that I was able to play a part in finding a new owner of the plans service to meet the financial burden of Abe's care as his health deteriorated and he was ultimately able to rejoined his beloved wife.

So perhaps it is now my time to reawaken my skills in this extraordinary craft and, the Lord willing, be a mentor for the next generation. Perhaps I feel no small obligation but to pass on the knowledge so generously given to me by those "Masters of the Craft" who are no longer with us.

After I've dusted off my collection of tools from their long slumber and arranged a proper workstation (altar?), I'm certain to once again enjoy the wonderful obsession of ship modeling. My first project, you ask? Harold Hahn's "Hannah," of course.

Sincerely,

Hank Reardon

Well, I guess you've established your bona fides! :D 

Welcome back! You're contributions promise to be of great value to us all. That said, from one whose experience overlaps your own, let me caution you not to be daunted by the masterpieces of today's digitally-sophisticated "micro-engineers" who are producing models we never dreamed possible twenty-five years ago! Our Preac saws and Unimat lathes that were state-of-the-art back in the day, are now but collectable reminders of times past, but we old practitioners of the manual arts still soldier on nontheless. 

48 minutes ago, Jim Lad said:

Hello hank, and a warm welcome to the forum from 'Down Under'.

John

John,

"Down Under" is perhaps one of my favorite places on planet.  I have very dear friends I visit ever couple of years over in Moonee Ponds.  What a wonderful country with some of the most friendly and welcoming people I've ever met.

My "Aussie" friend and I have a running joke that the United States and Australia could trade politicians and nobody would notice.

Regards,

Hank

Hank, welcome to MSW.  I too will be looking forward to seeing your work so hopefully you will start a build log.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

42 minutes ago, Bob Cleek said:

Well, I guess you've established your bona fides! :D 

Welcome back! You're contributions promise to be of great value to us all. That said, from one whose experience overlaps your own, let me caution you not to be daunted by the masterpieces of today's digitally-sophisticated "micro-engineers" who are producing models we never dreamed possible twenty-five years ago! Our Preac saws and Unimat lathes that were state-of-the-art back in the day, are now but collectable reminders of times past, but we old practitioners of the manual arts still soldier on nontheless. 

Bob,

I have nothing against the "digital natives" in this wonderful craft.  I will continue to take pleasure in hand-carving figureheads and decorative cherubs for my ship models.  Far more satisfying that using a 3D Printer...LOL

Regards,

Hank

23 minutes ago, HReardon said:

I have nothing against the "digital natives" in this wonderful craft. 

Neither do I, but catching up to them is challenging! I've come to accept that I haven't enough time left on this mortal coil to justify the time and energy investment in the steep learning curve CAD demands. I'm reconciled to dying at my drawing board, I'm afraid. :D 

Welcome back to the fold Hank.  Looking forward to a your build!!!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi Hank and welcome to Model Ship World.  It is great to have known the "Masters of the Craft" that you spoke of.  I had one also, Frank Mastini.  I enjoyed the time I spent with Frank.  He would take no compensation for his time, telling me to always pass on my knowledge to other ship modelers, especially the new ship modelers.  You will learn that we have a new generation of "Masters of the Craft" on MSW and you will learn things from them that will expand your knowledge.  We also have members here who will be future "Masters of the Craft".  I look forward to your contributions to this site.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Welcome Hank!

That's quite a circle of people you've known, pretty much the same people I've spent a ship modeling age admiring, though I've only met one of them, Clay Feldman. But, I did have a nice phone conversation with Henry Bridenbecker WAY back when, who was extremely gracious and helpful to me. Also had the honor of meeting Ed Marple, who's carving work and ship modeling skills were phenomenal and on display at the Channel Islands Maritime Museum, where our ever-rescheduled NRG conference will someday, hopefully, take place!

I look forward to swapping ship modeling ideas with you here! 

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome aboard Hank. Wow....what great mentors. I'm sure the learning will be a two way street...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways