Half Moon by Anja - Corel - Wood - 1:50 - (d'Halve Maen)

progress.........pictures.    you've whet our appetites........more eye candy please  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Prachtig Anja.

But are there really two different ways you did the port and starboard? I can see the difference, but only you will remember when she is finished, right?

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Anja,

A very nice build.

If you're worried about one plank, I am never going to post any of my builds here. Yikes!

Now I know what I'll be getting my father-in-law for Christmas. I got him the MS Bluenose a couple of years ago to get his feet wet in the hobby, and the darn guy has done a better job on it than I did on my first build. He also concurrently built the MS Bounty launch and it seems like he's about done with both.

The Half Moon is perfect for him because he's something like the great-great to the 39th power grandchild of Cornelius Mey, the Dutch explorer who gave his name to our Cape May down here. While I don't think Mey ever sailed with Hudson (though my wife told me early in our relationship the family story is he was the navigator for Henry's first trip to the New World) I think a Dutch jacht would be something he'd enjoy building and now  I can steer him to your fine build for help and advice.

I can't wait to see how the rest of your build progresses.

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

Hello Stevinne,

Welcome to my buildlog.

Thank you very much for your kind words and the compliment. It is most appreciated.

We are our own worst critics. We always think someone else is doing better.

But most important is to enjoy and have fun with the build.

You are building the Le Renard at the moment?

I encourage you to start a buildlog here.

There are a lot people here who are willing to help and advise. And we all learn from eachother.

You are a descendant of Cornelis Mey! Dutch explorer, captain, trader and the first governor of the New-netherlands. Impressive. Not only Cape May was named after Cornelius Mey, but I believe also the city of Cape May and Cape May County, both in New Jersey. I know he sailed the Hudson river, but I have never read he was a navigator with Henry Hudson.

I'm sure your father will enjoy building building the Half Moon. She is a beautiful little ship and fun to build.

Thanks again and take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hi Anja,

Between you both you have made a wonderful fix, she is looking absolutely superb. Now you have your MoJo back there'll be no stopping you. :cheers:

Very well done :)  :)

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

progress.........pictures. you've whet our appetites........more eye candy please :)

Hello Popeye,

More eye candy by the end of the week.

Prachtig Anja.

But are there really two different ways you did the port and starboard? I can see the difference, but only you will remember when she is finished, right?

Hello Jay,

Dank je wel. Sorry, I missed your post.

Yes, two different ways because I wasn't paying attention and made a mistake. And yes, you are right.

Hi Anja,

Between you both you have made a wonderful fix, she is looking absolutely superb. Now you have your MoJo back there'll be no stopping you. :cheers:

Very well done :):)

mobbsie

Hello Mobbsie,

Yes, now that she is sanded, I'm happy. She looks good.

Thank you all looking in, the kind words and the compliment. It is most appreciated,

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

Hello Harlequin,

Welcome to my buildlog and thank you for the kind words and compliment. It is appreciated.

Yes, I agree. When you start planking, that's when she's beginning to take shape and look like a real ship.

After that the fun begins. Dressing her up with the deck fittings, mastst, the rigging etc.

Looking forward to that.

Anja

Anja,

It appears that someone deleted all the recent pictures of your build?????  I looked back three pages and couldn't find any.... :o :o :o

Oh,  back from your trip and just catching up....okay..... :D :D :D

:cheers:

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Hello Jim,

Yes, I know. But I do have to thank everyone who has looked in at my build.

Thank you too for looking in. Next time I will post BIGGER pictures, so you can spot them better.

Take care,

Anja

STOP EVERYTHING !!!!!!!!!!!

What is this new 'next build' I see in your signature?????  Yes, I understand 'schooner'....and Hannah.  But what on earth is this POF Hahn Style scratchbuild???   Are we losing still ANOTHER  builder to the dark side ??????????????

Does Sjors know about this ??????????  Will he lend you his new tools :D  :D  :P  :D  :D 

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

animaatjes-lachen-05163.gif

Hello Augie,

I know, I'm letting you down 0252.gif and I'm sorry. But I'll be just one forum away. And I already reserved you a first class seat in the front. animaatjes-bank-74274.gif Feel better now?

I keep telling myself over and over again that scratchbuilding is much better for me than a kit build. I think for me, it is much more enjoyable than building from a kit. And my ultimate dream is to scratchbuild the VOC ship 'Prins Willem'. So, that is why I start with the Hannah. Not just yet though. I just placed the order yesterday, so it will be some time before I can start.

First I finish the Half Moon. Make sure she is ready for her maiden voyage.

Take care,

Anja

PS - Yes, Sjors know about this. And I may borrow his tools animaatjes-blij-17449.gif

i ll be following too :)  not sure when i l be ready for scratch building but its what i am aiming for too

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

How sad  !!! :(  :( ..... we're going to miss you !!!

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hip, hip hurray for Anja :dancetl6:

Welcome to the dark side and reserve another rocking chair for this old Dutchman  ;)

And now hurry up with that Half Moon ship and finish it, soon, please  :)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

i ll be following too :)  not sure when i l be ready for scratch building but its what i am aiming for too

Hello Adrieke,

You are welcome to follow. And when you're ready, you will know.

How sad  !!! :(  :( ..... we're going to miss you !!!

Hello Frank,

It's not sad! Like I said, it is just one forum away. And the door is always open.

Hip, hip hurray for Anja :dancetl6:

Welcome to the dark side and reserve another rocking chair for this old Dutchman  ;)

And now hurry up with that Half Moon ship and finish it, soon, please  :)

Cheers,

Hello Piet,

Thank you for the welcome. Your seat has been reserved.

More progress on the Half Moon is coming this weekend.

Your seats have been reserved graphics-kawaii-furniture-978209.gif

Thank you all for the kind words and support. It is appreciated.

Take care,

Anja

The half moon looks great!!!

And an upcoming scratch build!!  Egads - just the thought of scratchbuilding a boat gives me shivers;  kudos to you for dabbling in the darkside!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Hello Adam,

Nice of you to stop by.

Thank you very much for your kind words and the compliment. It is appreciated.

The Hannah will have some laser cut parts, so it won't be a complete scratchbuild.

I also feel a bit like animaatjes-bang-00097.gif It will be a big challenge. But I'm looking forward to it.

Anja

Anja - let me join with the others - based on the work you have done on d'Halve Maen, I think you are, indeed, up to the task of scratch building.  I will enjoy watching your artistry - I brought my own seat, though, as I know it is getting crowded!

croisiere.gif

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Hello Wayne,

Thank you very much. Your kind words and compliment are much appreciated.

Your own seat! Okay then, if you insist. But drinks and popcorn are on the house.

Thanks again and take care.

Please give my regards to the family.

Anja

m'lady.......laser cut parts?   I'm in awe.......do you have someone doing that for you?  ......or do you have a broken kit?  I've been using the parts panel punchouts as templates for some of my scratch work.  I still have to cut them out though.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Milord Popeye,

That's what it says:

'Laser cut parts are keel, keelson, transom, rudder, stern knees, deck beams and framing jig. Milled stock is framing material, ledges, carlings, channels, hatch coamings, windless barrel and bracket bracket, deck house, cap rails, wales, keel shoe and upper hull planking'.

Take care and give my regards ro Milady Phyllis.

Anja

But first the Half Moon. ;)  :D  :D

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Anja,

Amazingly clean and beautiful planking work there, Ma'am, Half Moon is really coming along very nicely :)

Aaah and I see you've succumbed to the force of the darkside, I guarantee you're gonna love it there and with the help of those excellent tools you have, I'm sure you will tackle your first scratchbuild with flying colors B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hello Aldo,

Thanks for the kind words, the compliment and the encouragement. It is very much appreciated.

As for the darkside? Yes, I think I'm going to like it there, but it's also a bit animaatjes-bang-00097.gif

Thanks for stopping by and take care,

Anja