USS Perry by EricWilliamMarshall - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - Scale 1/96

Eric - she’s really coming along and your deck work is excellent!  I would say that aft is a reasonable choice for a few reasons:

While it’s not generally clear to me, here, if these exhaust pipes are just aft of a mast, then a forward-facing exhaust would “cook” the mast rigging.

Also, ships generally sail into the weather, so aft-facing exhaust would minimize water entry in heavy seas/rains.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Eric, it depends on which direction the wind is blowing. if the open end of the stovepipe you've created were pointed into the wind it would flood the galley with smoke. It really doesn't matter unless you have billowing sails and in that case the opening needs to point towards the bow. Because wind will force smoke back down a stovepipe and for that reason most stovepipes are vertical with a cap. See the attached. 

image.png.5351ebb605d45c25efbe2059ec340b84.png

Edited by Keith Black

• 1 month later...

A quick distraction: I’ve repaired a ship model. Here are some before snaps. Labor-wise, the missing copper plates (and the loose plates) was the biggest issue. She looks to be a kit but I couldn’t ID it. All I have is her name, Josephine and a city, Boston.

20230828_065201.jpeg

20230828_065152.jpeg

20230828_065055.jpeg

Edited by EricWilliamMarshall

And the repaired beastie! I feel I was able match the quality and style of the existing model, so one can tell my work from the original. 

IMG_2421.jpeg

IMG_2419.jpeg

IMG_2417.jpeg

Also off topic: I attended David Antscherl’s and Greg Herbert’s workshop on carving. Also Had tour of the ship models at the Naval Academy (finest collection in the New World) as well as a behind the scene tour! I also stopped by the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum and bumped into the author and ship builder Douglas Brooks who was kind enough to chat with me for a bit.

IMG_2304.jpeg

IMG_2188.jpeg

IMG_2393.jpeg

The repaired ship model is a kit. Thanks to Rich to recognizing it and hunting it down!!  The is kit is a Model Shipways #2030 Maine Topsail Schooner EAGLE 1847, no longer sold by Model Expo but ebay still has copies. 
image.thumb.jpeg.a7f1fd9ec27cfe55b4313e5f3fe0029b.jpeg
The image is from my copy of the 1986 Model Shipways catalog.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Some nice work there Eric!

Cheers,

Bill T.

Take care folks, always appreciative of everyone's support!

Bill T.

Finished Builds:

Revell:  Cutty Shark 1980 (1/96 Plastic); Thermopylae 1981 (1/96 Plastic); USS Constitution 1983 (1/96 Plastic), USS United States 1985 (1/96 Plastic)

Midwest Products: Chesapeake Bay Skip-Jack Success Series (2001 Wood), Booths Bay Lobster Boat Working R/C Success Series (1"-1' 2002-2019)

Blue Jacket Shipcrafters: Yankee Hero (3/8-1 2020 on MSW), Revenue Cutter (1/4"-1' Current)