Bismarck by hof00 - FINISHED - Amati - 1/200 - Partworks

21 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I have no idea OC.  Could a hiccup with the browser, the server or any number of things.   I think these are technically called "gremlins". LOL.  

Thanks Mark,   just me being  lazy.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hi All,

Small Update:

Started cladding the first tier of the Aft Superstructure.

I think it went o.k. and the epoxy is still going off. (Used 90 second epoxy as gives more time than the recommended CA)

A bit of work to do before I'm happy with it but getting there.... (Tomorrow's work.)

A bonus is that the Deck still fits!! 🙂

Cheers....HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0429.JPG

DSC_0430.JPG

DSC_0432.JPG

DSC_0433.JPG

DSC_0434.JPG

DSC_0435.JPG

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Harry,

It's exciting to see what lays ahead for me!

In late Nov. & early Dec. of 2019 my wife and I took a cruise down the east coast of New Zealand. Such a beautiful country - we just loved everything about it. The closest we got to you in Manaia was Wellington. The cruise continued around the south island to Tasmania, Melbourne, and Sydney. I really wanted to see the Endeavour replica in Sydney Harbor, but it was on a cruise around New Zealand for the 250th anniversary of Cook's voyage. I think we missed it by a couple of days in two different ports. Did you get to see it then?

Rod

8 hours ago, rvchima said:

Harry,

It's exciting to see what lays ahead for me!

In late Nov. & early Dec. of 2019 my wife and I took a cruise down the east coast of New Zealand. Such a beautiful country - we just loved everything about it. The closest we got to you in Manaia was Wellington. The cruise continued around the south island to Tasmania, Melbourne, and Sydney. I really wanted to see the Endeavour replica in Sydney Harbor, but it was on a cruise around New Zealand for the 250th anniversary of Cook's voyage. I think we missed it by a couple of days in two different ports. Did you get to see it then?

Rod

Hi Chap,

Well, I guess its good to see what in store for you!! 🙂

Still struggling a little with the 1st tier of cladding. There are some "Interesting" points of note:

The instructions reference one of the aft wooden Bulkhead structural, (Close to Barbette Caesar), pieces to line up the cladding, not such a good idea.... I refenced all cladding on this level to line up with the concave plastic pieces, Secondary Turret rear wall. (I am unsure of what your instructions show, probably similar? (Give me a shout if you need and I'll try to assist.)

Anyway, a couple of bits of filling required her and there, the rest of the cladding for this is now in place, there's a couple of bits of PE detail that I'm not 100% happy with, excess CA that needs to be removed, if possible.... (Just learnings....)

I now have to be so careful handling this structure, the Rails are easily bent.... 😗

I am about to embark on preparation of the uppermost piece of cladding for the Aft Superstructure, It should be much easier to form without the second tier rails getting in the way.

(I'd like to get around to installing the Grab Rails on the rear hull, maybe after the Aft Superstructure?)

I'm pleased that you enjoyed New Zealand!!

I lived in Wellington most of my life up until a couple of years ago when my lady and I decided to move to South Taranaki, Manaia.

(Not a big town at all, semi rural and nice and peaceful.)

I did not see the Endeavour replica, I'm unsure if it ever came to Wellington.

(I remember that there were a few protests about the visit, injustices that may or may not have taken place.)

Anyway, onwards and upwards!!

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

On 12/11/2021 at 8:06 PM, hof00 said:

Decided to skip to issue to #126, Hull Porthole Rivet thingies.

Harry,

It seems that the Hachette model has plywood pieces at the bow and stern drilled for Rivet porthole thingies. You omitted the plywood but installed the rivets.  Is that correct?

The Amati model has PE brass pieces that fit over the plywood, but no rivets. I got the PE pieces reversed so the tiny raised detail for the portholes doesn't show. I am getting ready to paint the hull, saw your rivets, and wondered if I missed something.

Rod

Hi Rod,

Yes I did omit the pre-drilled ply pieces and opted for filling the locations, bow and stern, with Knifing Compound since only one row of Portholes were provided and a Porthole template was provided for drilling these anyway.

(Resulted in a bit of sanding that I would have had to do anyway....)

The Amati/Part works thingy gave me "Rivets" to insert in the holes once drilled.

I don't think you are missing anything as you mentioned that your Brass insets had "Ringoles" (Eyebrows), on the Brass pieces so your Brass pieces are a "Fae de comple." (I think that's spelt right....)

(Mine does not have Ringoles.... 😗)

(I could be incorrect but molded detail would suggest that no "Rivets" are provided for with your Bismarck version.)

You also have to remember that my Bismarck is around 2008 many years away from a commercial Amati release. (Some things will have changed in the intervening period to make things better?)

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

3 hours ago, rvchima said:

Harry,

It seems that the Hachette model has plywood pieces at the bow and stern drilled for Rivet porthole thingies. You omitted the plywood but installed the rivets.  Is that correct?

The Amati model has PE brass pieces that fit over the plywood, but no rivets. I got the PE pieces reversed so the tiny raised detail for the portholes doesn't show. I am getting ready to paint the hull, saw your rivets, and wondered if I missed something.

Rod

Hi Rod,

Yes I did omit the pre-drilled ply pieces and opted for filling the locations, bow and stern, with Knifing Compound since only one row of Portholes were provided and a Porthole template was provided for drilling these anyway.

(Resulted in a bit of sanding that I would have had to do anyway....)

The Amati/Part works thingy gave me "Rivets" to insert in the holes once drilled.

I don't think you are missing anything as you mentioned that your Brass insets had "Ringoles" (Eyebrows), on the Brass pieces so your Brass pieces are a "Fae de comple." (I think that's spelt right....)

(Mine does not have Ringoles.... 😗)

You also have to remember that my Bismarck is around 2008 many years away from a commercial Amati release. (Some things will have changed in the intervening period to make things better?)

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

Update:

So, been pretty much "Under the pump" today fixing Aft PE Superstructure sides that I had been preparing for a the past few days. (Attaching doors, vents, windshields, etc, etc.)

Adjusted some of the PE cladding for the 1st tier, wasn't happy at all but much improved now. Easy to prize off due to the epoxy that I used. I don't think I'll be using this again.... 😗 and CA to re-attach.

What I should have been doing is cleaning up filler and cleaning up PE on this level, never mind, tomorrows another day and it's not going anywhere....

Started cladding with the 3rd tier, one piece that wrapped around the entire wooden substructure, nice!! No real issues here.

Sized the 3rd tier Decking and commenced sheathing for the 2nd tier.

Got this pretty much complete apart from other bits "That will be added later....😗"

It's not perfect, some of the PE cladding joins have small gaps, 0.5mm or so that will require a judicious amount of "Squadron" Putty.

Two or three details cane loose from the cladding, I found them all and re-attached, lucky.... 🙂

One issue was the Hangar fell off, another victim of the 90 second epoxy, no damage thankfully. CA seems to be the way forward now, i thought I'd give the 90 second epoxy a go, don't experiment "On Ship" something that I forgot about....😗

The only downside is that with all the Rails around, I have to be very careful handling stuff,,,,

Cheers....HOF.

Photos:

The photos, attached, show some Deck detail, this is not affixed as yet.

DSC_0436.JPG

DSC_0437.JPG

DSC_0438.JPG

DSC_0439.JPG

DSC_0440.JPG

DSC_0441.JPG

DSC_0442.JPG

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

Update:

HOF has been busy, no too much to show for my efforts over the past few days but progress none the less....

• Forward Gunnery Control Centre sheathed
  • Aft Signal Station constructed, 58 PE parts to this, very fiddly and looks like something from "Tron."

( It took quite some time to construct, don't ask me how long, but too long. There were two tiny bits of Railing for the "Wings" of this structure that I just could not fit. No one will know and I decided not to after some other bits of Riling started to give way.... 😗  Allot of this will be concealed under other pieces of Superstructure. There's a bit of PE cleanup still to do.)

• Aft Searchlight platform completed

(I get the feeling that the Searchlight Platform will require a millimeter or so packing in its location on the Superstructure.)

So, more PE challenges yet to come I am sure.... 🙂

Onward and upward....

Cheers.... HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0455.jpg

DSC_0454.jpg

DSC_0451.jpg

DSC_0452.jpg

DSC_0453.jpg

DSC_0449.jpg

DSC_0450.jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

Small update:

Decided to do some "Plastic" components today, Aft Signal Station thingy, Uppermost Tier Aft Superstructure insert and what the instructions call a "Fighting Mast." (I actually think this is part of the Conning Tower.)

Decided to push myself into more PE work and attached the 1st Tier, Aft Starboard Superstructure Side Railing, this went together quite well. (I surprised myself.... 🙂)

(I'll do the Port side tomorrow.)

Nice to see the ship grow....

That's me for the day.

Cheers....HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0456.jpg

DSC_0457.jpg

DSC_0458.jpg

DSC_0459.jpg

DSC_0460.jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

Small update:

Aft Starboard Superstructure Side Railing, (Already completed), got damaged.... Not all of it but about 60mm of the curved pieces.... 😗

(How did this happen? I thought I'd be smart and hold the structure in a Dremel vice while I attached the Port side Rails. All went well until the Jaws "Slipped" and the Starboard side impacted the base of the Vice. Not happy about this and took me a couple of hours to carefully "Tease and Coax" the Railings back into shape. I think a good save!!)

Continued with Port Side Railings and completed. They are not perfect but they are o.k.

Added some components to the Aft Superstructure and I think that that's all the PE for this, perhaps?

(I lost one Resin Exhaust above the Hangar door, it "Pinged" away somewhere into another dimension. I should be able to duplicate a plastic replacement. 🙂)

The way my instructions are, the next task over three issues is the Mast and its' many components.

So, I intend to do this over the next two or three of days. I then would like to return to the Hull, get some traction, install Aft Grab Rails and get some paint on the Hull.

That's the plan anyway.

Cheers....HOF.

Photos tomorrow hopefully.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

On 1/9/2022 at 3:13 AM, hof00 said:

Aft Starboard Superstructure Side Railing, (Already completed), got damaged....

I hate it when that happens! It's usually not as bad as you expect. Take a deep breath, and an hour or two later it's almost as good as new.

On 1/9/2022 at 12:13 AM, hof00 said:

Not happy about this and took me a couple of hours to carefully "Tease and Coax" the Railings back into shape. I think a good save!!)

Smoothing out the bumps in the road seems to be a mandatory skill in ship modeling. Nice job, Harry! 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

12 hours ago, BobG said:

Smoothing out the bumps in the road seems to be a mandatory skill in ship modeling. Nice job, Harry! 

Thanks Chap!!

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

Update:

I think that I am progressing.

Interesting, you want to assemble something, i.e Funnel and you get hit with a sheet of PE to detail Hangers, I guess that's part and Parcel of the Part works doctrine. I call it down a rabbit hole.... 🙂

Aft Superstructure:

Added Vents Exhausts, Radiators, etc. (I think that's all for the short term anyway.)

Mast:

Is this the Main or Mizzen? (Seems to be the Main at the rear of the ship.)

It took me some time to assemble, again.... Patience is definitely a virtue and so is knowing when to "Walk Away.... 🙂"

The "Cross" Yards are 2.0mm dowel and they were supposed to have a series of 0.5mm holes drilled along thier length to accommodate the PE "Footropes."

I grew tired of trying to drill these and lucky that I have plenty of spare dowel!!

I tapered these Yards and notched one side to accommodate the PE. It look o.k and after filling the excess "Slot", you do not notice at all. (I think anyway....)

Funnel:

As per the intro to this post, I wanted to get tis on to see what it looked like. The ship now a little more "Purposeful" with this placed on.

(I guess I'm going to start the Port and Starboard Hanger PE next.... 🙂)

(Please forgive the quality of the photos....)

Cheers....HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0489.jpg

DSC_0490.jpg

DSC_0491.jpg

DSC_0492.jpg

DSC_0493.jpg

DSC_0494.jpg

DSC_0495.jpg

DSC_0496.jpg

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Harry,

I love the in-progress photos of the mast with all the microscopic PE pieces laying around. It always make me wonder if I really need to attach all that stuff, but in the end I'm always glad that I do.

By the way, what's the tug in the background in some of your photos?

5 hours ago, rvchima said:

Harry,

I love the in-progress photos of the mast with all the microscopic PE pieces laying around. It always make me wonder if I really need to attach all that stuff, but in the end I'm always glad that I do.

By the way, what's the tug in the background in some of your photos?

Thanks Rod,

Yup, I agree that the tiny bits are good even though they can be frustrating.

I primed the Mast, it looks heaps better.

The Tug is an AL Sanson, something that I made a bit of a hash of a few years ago. It's a complete tear down/Rebuild with LED lighting.

There is a build log somewhere here. (I must finish it one day.

How did the Plastic components go? (Adhesive.)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

Small update:

Primed the Mast, it looks heaps better than the confusing color of different materials used in its' construction. (Not really 100% chuffed with the diameter of the uppermost Yards but I'll live with it for now.... 🙂

Worked on Rangefinder PE. This was originally domiciled with issue # 113 which I opened to get to the Hull Portholes.

So, it was good to get an "Orphaned" issue more or less complete. (I have several more of these "Orphans" that I will work on to get them complete.)

So, the Rangefinders are complete with the exception of four PE pieces that I'll add and clean up the structures tomorrow, 

Cheers....HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0497.jpg

DSC_0498.jpg

DSC_0499.jpg

DSC_0501.jpg

DSC_0502.jpg

DSC_0503.jpg

DSC_0504.jpg

DSC_0506.jpg

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

Small update:

Completed and cleaned up Rangefinders.

Issue # 77: Bridge Wings constructed (2nd orphan.🙂)

(Issue #77 had some Decking pieces that I wanted some time ago)

I think that these components are my best PE effort thus far.

I'll probably have a go at this tomorrow, PE boat/launch skids on roof of central Hangar.

(Found a plastic organizer for the growing quantity of sub-assemblies. 🙂)

Cheers....HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0507.jpg

DSC_0510.jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

The mast is beautiful with the primer! Nice on those bridge wings too. Those little PE constructs can be challenging and yours look great.

I didn't realize that you had your funnel backwards. It certainly seems like it should go the way you had it - did you have the top piece glued on? Anyway, glad that you caught it before adding PE.

2 hours ago, rvchima said:

The mast is beautiful with the primer! Nice on those bridge wings too. Those little PE constructs can be challenging and yours look great.

I didn't realize that you had your funnel backwards. It certainly seems like it should go the way you had it - did you have the top piece glued on? Anyway, glad that you caught it before adding PE.

Hi Rod,

Thanks for your comment regarding my PE journey!! 🙂

(I'm learning and the positive comments are really good.)

Yup, I saw your photos and realized that the Funnel was incorrect, carefully prized the top off and re-attached.... 🙂

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

For those looking at Hanger issues on the HOF00 Bismarck... (As discussed on Rod's Amati Bismarck build log.)

@ HOF00

Looks like you did nothing wrong. In comparing the Hachette and the Amati versions I noticed the hangars are different

in width, The Hachette is wider yes, because they used 3mm ply for both of the long walls, Amati on only 1 side.

Better leave as is, or else some of your hangar PE parts will not fit anymore.

Seems to be a design fault by Hachette that was 'corrected' later in the Amati version.

Piet

My reply to Piet:

Hi Piet,

Thanks for your reply.

I've copied you in directly....

Thanks Chap,

I could not leave as is because the Hangers were pretty much "Hard-UP" to the Deck Railing.

I've had a look at the PE, first off, the fronts have an inboard overhang of about 2.0mm where the "Flats" are on the Hangar Roof.

I thought that I may be able to deal with this by either:

• Filing off the overhanging PE
  • Cutting a slot in the Funnel to conceal the overhang

The only other piece that I can see at this stage that may be issue is the Hanger Door

Haven't looked at the other components yet to ascertain if there are any other issues....

If I am really unhappy, I can shim the inboard hanger sides but I'll be back to square one.

Hey, Piet,

If you have any more advice/comments, could you please respond to the HOF00 Bismarck thread?

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

I think that the best thing that I can do at this stage for my Hanger issue is to sleep on it....

Any advice comments welcome. (Reduced the width of Hangers, (So that they would fit the Deck correctly), Inboard sides.) by 2.2mm each, Photo etch Hanger fronts now will not fit correctly, unsure if any other PE pieces compromised.)

I'll console myself with some other PE tomorrow perhaps. 🙂

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hang in there, Harry, you get on with it just fine no doubt!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

55 minutes ago, BobG said:

Hang in there, Harry, you get on with it just fine no doubt!

Thanks for the words of encouragement Chap!!

I've had a good look at the instructions/components and the only things that I can see that is affected are the PE Hanger front, (Shame), and a bit less of the Hanger sliding door. About 2.2mm, (funny that.... 🙂 for the former that either needs:

• File off the overhanging PE
  • Cutting a slot in the Funnel to conceal the overhang (I'm currently leaning to this method, I think it has the least risk associated with it, maybe, and I can easily fill the plastic if there is any error.)
  • The offending bit is about 8.0mm in length and 2.2mm wide
  • The majority of the rest of the PE seems to be "Outboard" so should be o.k.

If you have a look at Rod's, (rvchima), Bismarck Hanger photo, the front PE and Door have an angle about 10mm in length, where the taper finishes and goes vertical is the problem child.

Whatever method is done I'm pretty sure that it won't be too noticeable, better than the Hangers hard up against  the Redoubt Railings.

If any one has any other ideas or can understand my ramblings, please feel free to pass comment.... 🙂

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Harry,

Don't know if this will help but it's worth a try. I set my hangars and funnel on my scanner and got a bottom view.

The inner walls of my hangars are thinner than the other walls. They are NOT sloped.

The PE hangar doors do have a triangular notch. I didn't know what it was at first, thought it was a fabric door or something but it matches the slope of the funnel.

1093856453_HFHbottomview.thumb.jpg.1ed933586729ba00b3e4492e739e98e3.jpg

Here are your hangars (before funnel repair.) The slots in the hangar roofs all seem to be correct with respect to the funnel if everything is rotated 180 degrees. But you have extra flats on the inside edges of the roofs, marked with arrows. They must be due to the thick ply wall mentioned by Piet. If you remove those sides right up to the sloping roof and replace them with thin ply (or even card stock) everything should fit. But check the PE doors first.

2087458264_HFHHarrys.thumb.jpg.b5609ceb0124457fecedd9b87c93cff1.jpg

2 hours ago, rvchima said:

Harry,

Don't know if this will help but it's worth a try. I set my hangars and funnel on my scanner and got a bottom view.

The inner walls of my hangars are thinner than the other walls. They are NOT sloped.

The PE hangar doors do have a triangular notch. I didn't know what it was at first, thought it was a fabric door or something but it matches the slope of the funnel.

1093856453_HFHbottomview.thumb.jpg.1ed933586729ba00b3e4492e739e98e3.jpg

Here are your hangars (before funnel repair.) The slots in the hangar roofs all seem to be correct with respect to the funnel if everything is rotated 180 degrees. But you have extra flats on the inside edges of the roofs, marked with arrows. They must be due to the thick ply wall mentioned by Piet. If you remove those sides right up to the sloping roof and replace them with thin ply (or even card stock) everything should fit. But check the PE doors first.

2087458264_HFHHarrys.thumb.jpg.b5609ceb0124457fecedd9b87c93cff1.jpg

Thank you for that Rod, appreciated!!

It's a bit late to restore the 2.2mm inside edges of the Hangers, 

There is still the "Flat" on the roofs, albeit slightly less width.... 🙂

I am pretty confident the PE will fit with the exception of the Hanger front and door which will need a bit of "Treatment." I'll get some photos when I do this.)

Regarding the front PE, this fits the roof peaks etc, no problem so as Piet alluded to, the original Amati/Part Works were only in error with the overall Hanger width by 2.2mm

(The Hangers protrude about 0.4mm past the sides of the fore superstructure, just about right for the width of the superstructure PE.)

(I had in inkling that the PE might be an issue prior to the thickening work but decided to carry on regardless and see....)

I'll get stuck in to the Hangars later, working on Boat Skids at the mo. 🙂

Just out of interest, how many Pedestals are you intending to use when you get around to mounting your ship? I'm thinking maybe four for me, two in line with the center and two close to the Bilge Keels.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Harry,

Agreed we move this topic to your build log. You're right the hangar walls will be very close to the circular railings

if you don't reduce the width of your hangars. Also the hangar walls will not be flush with the forward superstructure.

Some of the plastic parts to be placed later on the hangar walls will not even fit anymore. (In those Russian Youtube

videos of the Bismarck build they kept the hangars as is and just reduced the thickness of some of the plastic parts,

so they fit, not nice also). Amati took what was the easiest way out to them; reduce the hangar width and adjust the

size of the hangar door PE. Interesting to see what solution you come up with.

Piet

1 hour ago, hof00 said:

Just out of interest, how many Pedestals are you intending to use when you get around to mounting your ship? I'm thinking maybe four for me, two in line with the center and two close to the Bilge Keels.

I'm going with 2 1" pedestals on 14" centers. Same as my Prinz Eugen. I already have them attached but with a temporary base.