Chamfering Cutting Tool

Hi All,

The planking on the Lady Nelson is going about like I suspected… first build and all. I am using the “Chuck” method of bending (you should patent that 😄). Got the planks to lay down flat on the frames, but there is still a tiny step. I know sanding will take care of this. I’m guessing the tool is a “gimmick”? Anyone use it or tried it?

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Are you talking about this tool?  I have it but haven't used it yet.  I'd be interested in other's views, too. 

BoilerDan1 Chamfering Tool Review.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

Looks like something that would be great but wionder if it actually works.Currently unavailable on Amazon.They are currently sold in the uk but for over £60 is a bit expensive for what it actually is. I will be also interested on peoples view so go post Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Dave,

The angle of the chamfer on every plank is dynamic but the tool has a fixed angle each time it is set so the angle will be wrong except for one small part of the plank edge if it used along the entire length of the plank.    The same issue applies to the angle of the rabbet.  A stiff back razor or any other hand held scraper blade can have the angle adjusted as you move along the plank when done by hand.   Sanding will probably work, but for me, scraping is easier to control.   The ROUGH sketch below explains it better (I hope).

Allan

Drawing6.JPG.578496c9f49c8b14b7352e58a6d84c79.JPG

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

3 hours ago, allanyed said:

Dave,

The angle of the chamfer on every plank is dynamic but the tool has a fixed angle each time it is set so the angle will be wrong except for one small part of the plank edge if it used along the entire length of the plank.    The same issue applies to the angle of the rabbet.  A stiff back razor or any other hand held scraper blade can have the angle adjusted as you move along the plank when done by hand.   Sanding will probably work, but for me, scraping is easier to control.   The ROUGH sketch below explains it better (I hope).

Allan

Drawing6.JPG.578496c9f49c8b14b7352e58a6d84c79.JPG

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the reply. So after bending , you fit and scrape each plank by hand for the “up close and flush” fit? 

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Total gimmick and totally unnecessary.  You’re guilty of overthinking it again.  You can simply sand the bevel onto the inside top edge of the plank. You don’t need to get overly detailed with this, especially if the plank is properly tapered and shaped

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Me too! Its a no from me. Interesting you say about scraping though Allan and will give this a try the next time I am doing any planking. 

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Dave,

A lot of builders here also scrape the entire hull and the decks before final sanding as well.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Sometimes scraping alone, done well, is the finishing 'sanding'. Don't scrape after sanding: small abrasive particles shed by the sandpaper and embedded in the wood surface will blunt your scraper.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv