Euro knotting tool

Anyone used this or have any opinions?

https://modelexpo-online.com/Euro-Tool-Knotting-Tool_p_492.html

Edited by Clueless

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

They are almost indispensable if you are tying multiple knots in things like strings of beads and want each knot to be tight and consistent. Kind of like using needles in knitting. But you may find them a bit more limited and awkward when being used in ship rigging and such. 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

How is this supposed to work ?

Whatever the intended way of use, I cannot see it being used 'on board' of a model, where you would often need to reach deep between different other parts of the rigging.

BTW, the amount of knot-making on a model is often overestimated. There are very few places where 'knots' actually are needed (attaching sheets to sails comes to my mind, for instance). In most cases eye-splices, seizings or lashings are used (which may be indeed finished off in a knot). Belaying is a form of knot-making, but not really.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

1 hour ago, wefalck said:

BTW, the amount of knot-making on a model is often overestimated. T

If you don't count a couple thousand clove hitches for the ratlines..😃

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Thanks Y'all. Kinda what I figured.

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

Interesting perspective.  What is your basis for saying that?

Every book I have about knots includes the clove hitch..

If  I Google " clove hitch ", I get 2 million hits, an at least the first two pages all talk about knots..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Most often a knot will be at the end of a line, i.e: stopper knot, man rope knot, bell rope knot.  Also a lot of decorative ropework will be knotted. However, a hitch or a bend joins two ropes.  Hitches and bends are generally designed to be readily untie-able or loosened, Knots are designed to be more permanent.  Splices, seizings and lashings are another story.

There are very few actual knots employed in the rigging of ships.

In a similar vein, there are very few ropes in the rigging. The two I mentioned above being the only ones I can think of at the moment. Plenty of lines, though.

Regards,

Edited by popeye2sea

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Actually, the thingy doesn't really tie the knot, you do this separately. All it does, it keeps the knot close to the pearl in this case.

You can do this perhaps even more easily with a needle held in a pin-vise around which you make the knot - pull on the loose end until the knot sits close to point were you want to have it and slowly pull out the needle while still pushing it against the pearl or whatever.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Thanks!

In 1985, I made a trip to China to investigate business opportunities.  My trip began in Hong Kong to get visas to visit the various Chinese cities.  Of course I had orders from my wife to buy pearl necklaces for her, my daughter, and my mother-in-law.  There was a whole street in Hong Kong that sold strings of pearls.  The strings were piled in bins and the sales people would lay strands out on a piece of black velvet until you found one that was acceptable.

Once you had made your selection, the pearls had to be knotted. A young woman would  slide the pearls from the string on to another.  Then with rapid motions she would tie a knot (hitch? 😏) between each pearl and it’s neighbor.  All of this was done in plain sight but her motions were so fluid that it was impossible to follow.  She would have been expert at tying ratlines without the Euro knotting tool.

Roger

35 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

In 1985, I made a trip to China to investigate business opportunities.

So now we know, it was you who was responsible for initiating Chinese world manufacturing dominance.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846