New Member: Happy To Be Here

Grey

Hello! Thank you all for contributing to this absolute treasure trove of information. Perusing the forum with the myriad builds, techniques, skill, and charm is near enough to be a hobby in and of itself. 

I come back to attempting ship modeling after at least 12 years. Life has a way of happening, and there have been quite a few location changes due to both myself and my wife's careers. But! I think we have finally landed somewhere reasonably permanent.

My interest has never waned in most things nautical, and a Zoom/Skype distance build of the LEGO Titanic (of all things) with my nephew this year has been the proverbial straw--and the space in the basement needed to be cleaned up. The shipyard is humble, but is still above what my skill level can accommodate.

I find myself drawn to working vessels (whalers, fishing, tugs, etc.) for reasons unknown to me, but apparently not my eye.

That's more than enough for now I think--my time is much better spent learning and reading from the incredible build logs and other information here.

Thank you again, and I look forward to seeing more from all of you--and eventually: sharing some of my own.

Cheers,

Grey

Welcome to MSW, Grey.  When you're ready, feel free to start a build log on your project.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome aboard Grey.  Hope to see you get started on a project.  Never hesitate to ask questions.   Most answers are probably already somewhere in the posts here at MSW as well in any number of books that you can research on your own, but there is always something new that comes up that has not been covered.  , but you now have 40,000 new teachers to share their skills and experience.

Are you going to start with a kit or scratch build from plans?   Before spending any money, you might want to post a question to get opinions on something specific you have found to be of interest.  There are some excellent kits as well as some that are not very well researched or produced, so beware.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thank you both for the kind welcome.

Allan: I’ve been reading for days, and have yet to discover even the tip of this collective iceberg of knowledge. It’s fascinating.

I have a couple of Occre kits, one was a gift, the other pure impulse/hubris. Even as an “entry” kit, it is currently out of my skill set’s reach.

I am looking at perhaps a Vanguard kit, as reading through the manual of the ‘Nisha’ it is certainly one of the more beginner friendly manuals I have seen. 

In the meantime I am happily reading, absorbing, refining my shop, and enjoying others’ work

Hi Grey and welcome to Model Ship World.  Sounds like the LEGO Titanic was a fun build.  Glad to have you aboard.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Welcome aboard. Working ships as opposed to warships have their own alure.They have a certain dignity which is far different than the swagger of a warship.

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

Grey, welcome to MSW. Stow your gear below and enjoy your stay. 

:piratebo5:welcome to MSW😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

:piratebo5:

Welcome to MSW 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thank you one and all! I really appreciate it, and from my perusal of soooo many topics: not surprising in the least. You all have a kind, helpful, and knowledgeable community. 

I am beyond excited that I shall soon be in receipt of the Nisha from Vanguard, and look forward to starting a build log. I know that it will be critical in keeping me on the straight and narrow as I attempt to do justice to that beautiful little kit. Cheers!

Grey,   Study the build logs here at MSW on any kit you are considering and compare to contemporary models and you will see the collection of mistakes in many kits, especially OcCre, Artesania and some others.   They are are more like someone's fantasy than a realistic looking vessel from incorrect planking methods to out of scale and inappropriate parts. 

As you are a beginner, look at the David Antscherl series at Model Shipways.  They will teach you skills that you can carry forward to other more complex kits or possibly scratch building at some point.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

1 hour ago, allanyed said:

As you are a beginner, look at the David Antscherl series at Model Shipways.  They will teach you skills that you can carry forward to other more complex kits or possibly scratch building at some point.

Allan

Thank you for the insight Allan!

I have read good things about Mr. Antscherl's kits. Years back, I had a modicum of success with a Midwest? I believe it was...kit for a small lobster dinghy that lived on my bookshelf until claimed by a young nephew. Hoping to take some of that experience, and a decade or so of what is purportedly more patience into a Nisha build.