11 minutes ago, amateur said:

And still not sure to buy (import duties and postage are quite high...), but will  the book by Camerata (waterline models) be back in store?

Jan

HI Jan -

I know the international rates are high, which is unfortunate. I will be looking at ways to reduce these, but it will take some time. I am looking at possibly reprinting the Waterlines book - will keep you posted.

Mike

I was looking forward to purchasing something, until I saw the shipping cost to England; it was more than the book itself!

Mike: is there any way to reduce shipping? I can get books sent from Europe for about £15, and I have had books sent from the States before at reasonable rates. The postage rates I have seen will have an impact on sales; they certainly did on me. Highest was $90, although that was fast. I don't care if it takes a month to get here, and I don't expect it to be cheap, necessarily.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Just now, Mark P said:

I was looking forward to purchasing something, until I saw the shipping cost to England; it was more than the book itself!

Mike: is there any way to reduce shipping? I can get books sent from Europe for about £15, and I have had books sent from the States before at reasonable rates. The postage rates I have seen will have an impact on sales; they certainly did on me. Highest was $90, although that was fast. I don't care if it takes a month to get here, and I don't expect it to be cheap, necessarily.

All the best,

Mark P

Hi Mark,

I know. It's unfortunate and I am hoping to address the issue - but doing so may require a long-term solution that will take some effort to get in place. One thing I can say - and please don't take this as self-serving - the first item is the most expensive to ship. I've noticed (today even) on some orders that have multiple items, the incremental shipping cost was much less.

I will be speaking with the fulfillment center next week to see if there are additional options.

Mike

Thanks for your reply Mike;

No self-serving assumed, don't worry. If you can find a solution, that would be very encouraging. I understand that multiple items become cheaper for shipping, but quality books like these can't be low-priced, and my wish list always has far more books in it than my monthly budget will cover.

All the best,

Mark P 

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

17 hours ago, chris watton said:

Please let me know when you have Vol 1 of HMS EURYALUS in stock....

Chris,

I discussed the need for Volume I with Mike the other day and getting with the printer is on his to-do list.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Shipping does need to get sorted out. I was going to order another set of books (Naiad), but $77.72 shipping for two books is too much. To put that in perspective, a 7.5kg large box Sphinx kit costs around £40/45 to send to the US from the UK, using UPS.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

2 hours ago, chris watton said:

Shipping does need to get sorted out. I was going to order another set of books (Naiad), but $77.72 shipping for two books is too much. To put that in perspective, a 7.5kg large box Sphinx kit costs around £40/45 to send to the US from the UK, using UPS.

Yes! Working on it - will keep you posted.

I don’t know how it is in orher countries but here (netherlands) you have to pay import duties and VAT from ‘outside EU’ countries, and the value they use for the duries is the total value of the order (including shipping costs) (unless the seller pays them directly to the Dutch tax office)

Books are relatively ‘cheap’, only 9% VAT on the total of price and the shipping costs, but buying kits outside EU is even worse: around 3% import duty, and a whopping 21% on the total of price, Shipping and import duties. (Sometimes things pass the border unnoticed, but sometimes you pay it all….) 

Jan

Edited by amateur

1 hour ago, chris watton said:

Not sure if mine's been sent yet :(

Checked shipping again today, and it's done up, £90! 

Hi Chris, 

I just shot you an email about this. International shipping has proven to be a big challenge but I have found a solution and your order should be shipped in the next few days. When it is shipped, you will receive a tracking number that will enable you to view delivery details and date.

Sorry for the delay, but this should not be an issue going forward. Thank you for your patience and please let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Mike

Thanks for the heads up on this! I just ordered my first book - Ab Hoving's book on the Statenjacht, which is the ship I'm currently building.  What a great resource (both the book and the shop) :)

Melissa T.

Current Build: 85' ARB Scratch build, 1:32 scale

Completed: Gunboat Philadelphia - Model Shipways, Statenjacht - Kolderstok, Swampscott Dory - BlueJacket ShipCrafters

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

15 hours ago, SeaWatch Books said:

Hi Chris, 

I just shot you an email about this. International shipping has proven to be a big challenge but I have found a solution and your order should be shipped in the next few days. When it is shipped, you will receive a tracking number that will enable you to view delivery details and date.

Sorry for the delay, but this should not be an issue going forward. Thank you for your patience and please let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Mike

Cool!

When international shipping is finally sorted (still get only one option of $90 for shipping), I shall place an order for those two Naiad volumes.

Can never have too many books.

Although my wife may beg to differ....

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

2 hours ago, chris watton said:

Cool!

When international shipping is finally sorted (still get only one option of $90 for shipping), I shall place an order for those two Naiad volumes.

Can never have too many books.

Although my wife may beg to differ....

Hope to have new shipping prices up in the next few days.

Totally agree about books - look where it got me! 😂

3 hours ago, Melissa T. said:

Thanks for the heads up on this! I just ordered my first book - Ab Hoving's book on the Statenjacht, which is the ship I'm currently building.  What a great resource (both the book and the shop) :)

Thank you! Let me know if you start a build log on the Statenjacht.

PS My son goes to Skidmore! Go Thoroughbreads! 😀

Hope to have new shipping prices up in the next few days.

Please let me know if you have the new shipping prices to Europe.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• 1 month later...

Books received today!! A wonder.

The photos, plans, texts, book production, everything is fabulous!

To do: Ask a pc translator to help me (my poor English has already understood things...) and study the plans.

A big congratulations to the author, the publisher, and the delivery conditions (well packaged, 1 week to come to France)

I got my Christmas present early! 🤣

Friendly, health and peace for all.