Hello from Southern California

My name is Rod Edwards. I joined a month or so ago but did not take on board the introduction section. So here , a little late, is my introduction.

I'm 83. I started building ship models (strictly from kits) while in  school in the fifties. They were all pretty simple kits with solid hulls. The last one that I completed before heading off to the Coast Guard Academy in 1960 at age 17 was the USS Constitution ( probably no bigger than 1:100 scale). Being part of a service family, the models were lost or damaged in moves. There's an old service joke that three moves are as good as a fire. 

On my 16th birthday (1954), my parents gave me what I thought was the ultimate.... A Model of the Santa Maria to a scale of 5/32" to 1 foot by the Marine Model Company in Halsite, Long Isand, NY.. I never started it until years later in Canada (crappy weather motivates Model Building, I think) but again put it on hold. Never took up work on models in Southern California(work, golf and too much good weather). Then COVID happened. Model Building seemed like a good idea so 67 years later, I finished it.

419664687_SantaMaria.thumb.JPG.1e14be106f63f33532b07f69ed2723ad.JPG

In the meantime, My wife Joyce gave me a kit for Christmas ( it must be 20 years ago) and I swore I wouldn't touch it until Santa Maria some how got done. Last year, in reality a rank beginner, I started work on Constitution. Plank on bulkhead was a new and tedious experience but the real challange for my limited patience was coppering the bottom which I just finished recently. I have already been the beneficiary of helpful guidance from other members and really look forward to engaging with this great community. 

Constitution.thumb.JPG.ccfec22f1574106c74165f7e38c381b3.JPG

Welcome aboard from a California ex-pat! I moved a lot when I lived in the Golden State -- I did stints in Los Angeles, Pasadena, Montrose, Pomona, and Upland, so I know my away around SoCal a bit.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Welcome Aboard Rod, I too spent some years in SoCal. Drove a cab in LA, lived in Venice and moved to Catalina Island where I had the job of captaining a 1944 LCM 3 with a recycled Budweiser delivery truck on a daily freight run to San Pedro. Loved that weather but love it here in New Hampshire. Your copper work is looking very nice.

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Rod, from another West-Coaster but further north, I welcome you warmly to ModelShipWorld.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Welcome to MSW, Rod from another west coaster.   I've spent a fair amount of time in SoCal starting when I was in the Marines.  A long pause after the Marines until I moved to Oregon about 20 years ago. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Rod and welcome to Model Ship World.  I really liked your introduction and you are a testament to its never too late to finish a model.  We are glad to have you aboard.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

I used to live in San Diego, I was in East Central San Diego -- the La Mesa and El Cajon areas.  An uncle lives in the Escondido area. While I was in San Diego I used to be with the San Diego Maritime Museum. the model shop was always my favorite part. The club at the San Diego Maritime Museum is good if you want to drive there, have meetings on Tuesday nights. Long Beach has a good model club if you want to drive up there also.

The San Diego Ship Modelers Guild (SDSMG) is a chartered chapter of the NRG.  More info about the Guild can be found at:

https://thenrg.org/about/chapters/sdsmg

As Brian mentioned, we meet aboard the SDMM ferry BERKELEY the second Tuesday of each month.  You are welcome to visit and chat. :cheers:

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Hi Ron,

Welcome aboard. Thank you for your CG Service. As a prior boater (fishing/hunting/recreational), I developed a special admiration for the CG that no one but a boater can. I'm Navy, but CG vessels were always different. You'll like it here. 👍😀

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

19 minutes ago, Chrisss said:

Im glad to be here!

Hi, Chrisss. Might I suggest starting a separate topic and telling us a little about yourself?

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht