HMCS Bonaventure by NavyShooter - 1/96 scale - an RCN fitting out

It's been a bit since the last update.  A bit of work on the hangar, but I've been working on other details and pondering the elevator mechanism.

Here's the Quarter-deck area (Aft Cable Deck?)

Bonnie Aft Cable Deck.JPG

Brad/NavyShooter

Pending Launch: RMS Titanic - 1/100 - 3D Print - Pond Float display

Build Log:   HMCS Bonaventure- 1/96 - A Fitting Out

Completed Build:  HMCS St Thomas - 1/48 - 3D printed Bens Worx

Completed Build:  3D Printed Liberty Ship - 1/96 - RC

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

Also had to re-print the LW-02 RADAR dish, as it was a bit too large for scale.

Now to work on rotation. 

New LW-02 Radar Dish 2.jpg

New LW-02 Radar Dish.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

Spent a bit of time on the weekend getting the aft catwalk sorted out.  Version 3 was close, but I'm happier with Version 4. 

With V4, I printed the smoke cannisters separately and am painting them independently before I glue them back in place. 

Bonnie Aft Catwalk V4.jpg

Bonnie Aft Catwalk V3.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

• 1 month later...

After a short hiatus due to life things going on, I got back to doing some work on the Bonnie.  Last night I did some work on the motorized Sea King.

This is a draft print of the aircraft, with some shimmed in bits to fit the motor inside and it seems to work OK.

Intent is to have the aircraft on deck, with the helo starting power cables going to the edge of the flight deck where I'll plug it in.  

Rotors will spin at about 30 rpm, which is about right for a starting helo.

Sea King Motorized 2.jpg

Sea King Motorized 3.jpg

Sea King Motorized.jpg

AC Power Supply Connections Bonnie Deck.JPG

Brad/NavyShooter

Today I got a bit more 3D design work done.

Problem #1 that I had to solve was the rotor blades on the Sea King actually spin the opposite direction to that shown in the pictures I've posted...so I've redone the file, and will print some new blades when I get home tonight.

With that fixed, I have to ponder whether or not I'm going to fix the 3D file for the folded version of the rotor blades...I might just leave them.

After that, I still had a bit of time to play with, so I finished the design on the arresting wire spools.

Bonnie has 7 wires - and only a few of them are 'the same'.

So, some calipers and some sketch time later, here's what we have.

I'm going to print 2 of each of them I think. One that will be 'no wire' for display only.

The other set I'll do with elastic 'wire' between them.

They are on 6mm pins, so they'll be able to be switched out if I'm going to have the aft elevator in use or anything like that.

Bonnie Arresting Wires 3D design.JPG

Bonnie Arresting Wires.JPG

Brad/NavyShooter

It was pointed out to me by a Sea King pilot that I had the blades rotating the wrong way...so I had to rectify that.  New blades have been printed, and are now on the way to paint.

Including for the static aircraft.

In other news, I saw an update from Bob Griffin (who's in the UK and is building a model of the HMS Victorious) showing his new aircraft lift.  I reached out to him to find the source of the scissor lift, and have now ordered a pair of similar ones for myself.

My project has been slightly stalled on this aspect, as I have to figure out the elevators before doing a bunch of other stuff.

-I can't re-print the hangar deck until I figure out the elevators

-I can't fit the electronics and other hardware until I figure out the hangar deck

-I can't cut the access holes in the flight deck until I fit the hangar deck

There are a bunch of 'to do' items that have been pending this step, and these mini scissor lifts are exactly what I've been looking for I think. 

Brad/NavyShooter

I don't know anything about scissor lifts on an aircraft carrier but in industry they can be mechanically screw jack operated, pneumatically operated or hydraulically operated with piston type cylinders.  If using a cylinder the body is arranged to lift on the pull so the cylinder rod does not buckle.

Would still be one massive diameter rod.  Likely not air as it would be spongy.  So that leaves mechanical screw or hydraulic operated cylinder.

Was it a screw?  If a screw was it turned by a hydraulic rotary cylinder?

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

On the actual ships, they used pistons and chain hoists - one on each corner of the lift.  I have an image of it somewhere that I'll dig up.  The pistons were horizontally arranged. 

Brad/NavyShooter

The arrestor spools printed quite well!

Arrestor Spools Printed.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

Here's short video of the Sea King spooling up on the flight deck.

Lots left to do, but it's on the way!

Brad/NavyShooter

And...having read a few of the 3D design threads...here's what I started on this evening:

image.thumb.png.56cc5dd6a4df7d7ad6f4819606dabeea.png

Brad/NavyShooter

• 4 weeks later...

Alrighty....home from a busy vacation with the family...now I can relax!  

Spent part of today out in the shop puttering away on the forward elevator part of the project....here's how Version 1 looks:

I'll call it "almost functional" - but not very reliable yet.  I have some work ahead of me. 

Brad/NavyShooter

I grabbed some window making solution/glue, and have given it a try on one of the old versions of the Island.  Here's the application, the material, and the dried window. 

I'm quite pleased!

No photo description available.

Brad/NavyShooter

Love the work you’re doing on this ship - I especially found how you float tested it to be a great idea - most of the boats I build are too big for the bathtub !!!!     

by the way how long is your ship end to end?

My Current Builds:

The USS Maine - 1/72 3D printed Armored Cruiser (1889) USS OlympiaUSS TexasUSS New York, HSwMS TapperhetenCerbere 

Ships I am currently designing or have completed in Fusion 360:

German: SMS ScharnhorstSMS Kaiser Sweden: Svea, Gota, & Thule (both early and later versions), Flygia

France: French battleship Charles MartelDupuy de Lôme, Faucon (aviso), United States: USS Katahdin (1894) Ram ship, USS Monteray USS Oregon Japan: Mikasa, Fuso Russia: Izumrud, Novgorod Spain: Pelayo Great Britian: Turbinia (1894) - First ship with Steam TurbineHMS Edinburgh (1882) DenmarkTordenskjold

Ships I intend on designing & building in the future:

French JauréguiberryMassena Bouvet United StatesUSS Virginia USS Brooklyn, USS Minneapolis USS Ericsson
Russian:  Rossiya Peresvet Bayan SlavaTsesarevich 
BrazilRiachuelo SpainEmparador Carlos V

On 1/10/2023 at 10:10 AM, Haze Gray said:

Love the work you’re doing on this ship - I especially found how you float tested it to be a great idea - most of the boats I build are too big for the bathtub !!!!     

by the way how long is your ship end to end?

She's right on about 7 feet long.  Definitely too big for the bathtub...but the good news was that with the front seat folded forward, I was able to fit her into my CR-V.  🙂  BARELY!

Brad/NavyShooter

A bit of work today on the ship.  The hangar deck is about 75% printed - and I've done some more work on the island too. 

325705016_725095078962538_5594384649725751277_n.jpg

323889677_1194658097823253_4334916801330876352_n.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

One module left to print....and here's how the window glass turned out:

Brad/NavyShooter

Alrighty....a little update on the Bonnie.

I'm bringing her in 'as is' condition to a display at the Halifax International Boat Show in 2 weeks, so I decided to dress her up and see what 'as is' condition looks like.

I have printed and assembled the new hangar deck, which has the necessary wells for the elevator lift mechanisms.

The hangar deck is going to be a lift-in/lift-out module that will fit below the flight deck when I'm all finished, and the flight deck is going to get sliced up with 'hatches' to allow access to remove the entire module, as well as provide access to the anchor deck area, and the rudder area below the aft cable deck.

I didn't glue any of the accessories in place, in fact, none of them are really in the right spots, I just wanted to get some imagery to share with a couple of folks so they could get an idea of what I'll be bringing along to the show.  

I'm quite pleased with the progress - there's still a long way to go, but getting the elevators figured out has let me move the bar along considerably.

NS

Bonnie update 2023 9.jpg

Bonnie update 2023 8.jpg

Bonnie update 2023 7.jpg

Bonnie update 2023 6.jpg

Bonnie update 2023 5.jpg

Bonnie update 2023 4.jpg

Bonnie update 2023 3.jpg

Bonnie update 2023 2.jpg

Bonnie update 2023 1.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

That is one monster model... and a great looking one also.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I am lucky to live in the city where  HMCS Bonaventure was homeported back in the day.  There is an institutional memory associated to her, and there are 4 other models of her in the area which I am aware of.

I have, over the past year, visited 3 of the 4, and a friend of mine who has the clearances and approvals visited and photographed the Bonnie that is in the Maritime Forces Atlantic Headquarters building for me.  

I have been pondering the question of 'how much detail is enough'?  And 'what does right look like'? as a part of this build process.

I had the chance to meet the builder of two of them - the one at the Maritime Museum and the one at the Atlantic Canada Aviation museum were both built by the same person.  He's a great person, and works as a model builder at the Maritime Museum, and has for several decades. 

So....what does right look like?  

I can see some examples of what wrong looks like - in particular, the model at the MARLANT HQ has the flight deck colours reversed.  The angled deck section should be gray, the rest of the deck green.  There is an early photo I've found that might show the whole deck as green - but...that's a mix-up.

There's also some in accuracy in the aircraft - the blue on the HSO4 is quite obviously wrong.  

But, to be sure, the models are certainly representative, and there is no one who would ever question that it is "THE BONNIE" that they are portraying. 

Then there's the question of detail - how much is enough?  If I look at the large scale (appears to be 1/48) at the Shearwater museum, they have had some damage done to the model years ago (apparently a kid was standing on it?) and so some of the original details were lost, and have been replaced with paper printed details that have been glued in place to give the image of 'stuff' being in the catwalks on the sides of the flight deck.  The other models all have varying levels of detail, there are some with fire fighter boxes, some have spools, there are some ladders, deck cranes, etc.  

The one 'standard' seems to be that there must be aircraft on deck.  And that must be a 'mix' of aircraft - always include Trackers, and some helos.  

So, in looking at the other 4 Bonnies in the area - from 1/200, to 1/144, to about 1/48, I can honestly say that with the amount of variation between them, and the amount of detail that I have on mine already, I think I've exceeded 'museum quality' for the local museums at least.  Which, I think, means that I have 'enough' detail, even though I'm still making more.  

All this to say, I'm pretty pleased with how my Bonnie is coming along....but read along to the next post to see the 'WOW' standard that I'm sort of judging myself against.

NS

Bonnie Atlantic Canada Aviation Museum 1.jpg

Bonnie Atlantic Canada Aviation Museum 2.jpg

Bonnie Atlantic Canada Aviation Museum 3.jpg

Bonnie Maritime Museum 1.jpg

Bonnie Maritime Museum 2.jpg

Bonnie MARLANT HQ 1.jpeg

Bonnie MARLANT HQ 2.jpeg

Bonnie MARLANT HQ 3.jpeg

Bonnie MARLANT HQ 4.jpeg

Bonnie Shearwater Museum 1.jpg

Bonnie Shearwater Museum 2.jpg

Bonnie Shearwater Museum 3.jpg

Bonnie Shearwater Museum 4.jpg

Bonnie Shearwater Museum 5.jpg

Bonnie Shearwater Museum 6.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

So...the most inspiring build, and the one that I'm really judging my own build against is that of Dan Linton.  His model is on display at the National Aviation Museum in Ottawa, and I recall seeing it there when I visited with the family about 2 years ago, but did not get a picture....that said, there's an old website called "Carrier Builders" where Dan did a 7 page build log showing much of the scratch-built detail that he put into his construction, and I have looked to his pictures and build log for insight.

Here's the 7 pages, and one of his photos:

Building a 1:144 R/C HMCS Bonaventure: Part 1 (carrierbuilders.net)

Building a 1:144 R/C HMCS Bonaventure: Part 2 (carrierbuilders.net)

Building a 1:144 Scale R/C HMCS Bonaventure: Part 3 (carrierbuilders.net)

Building a 1:144 Scale R/C HMCS Bonaventure: Part 4 (carrierbuilders.net)

1:144 r/c HMCS Bonaventure: Part 5: The Details (carrierbuilders.net)

HMCS Bonaventure: 1:144 scale r/c: Part 6: Air Wing (carrierbuilders.net)

HMCS Bonaventure: Part 7: Display (carrierbuilders.net)

image_last.jpg

I am personally in awe of this man's skill, and have attempted to reach out to  him a couple of times through a club in Ottawa, but haven't had much success. 

Brad/NavyShooter

I've been pondering how to attach the 3D printed island to the deck, and have come across a solution.

I took the 3D design, and superimposed it on a simple block - and made it a negative space/shape.  So, now I'm left with a pair of blocks the size and shape of the inside of the base of the island.

I will simply be able to attach these blocks to the deck, and drop the island onto them, and it should stay on.  

Note, the 'room' is actually visible space through a door in the island, so I built a space to be 'seen' in the shadows.  I'll probably stick an LED light in it too just for the effect. 

This will take about 6 hours to print, so I'll let it run while I'm at work tomorrow and we'll see how it fits!

Considering I'm planning to bring the ship to a show in a week and a half, I've made myself a list of priority items to complete in the time I have.

Priority 1 - Build a keel block/carrying support

Priority 2 - Assemble and test the elevator system

Priority 3 - Mount the Island and get some LED lights working and the Radar dish spinning

Priority 4 - Detail painting in the Hangar deck

I suspect I'll be lucky to get the first 3 done.  We'll see what the week brings!

image.png.92b795ab5d96b1ada40e4c4ee1fcc76c.png

Brad/NavyShooter

I think yours has the most "wow" power probably the size allowing for detail and all the details being added.   

Just a thought herer.  I give some though to securing the island to the deck and anything else to the hull.  Consider if nothing maybe using some pins.  I've seen too many RC boats over the years roll over or flood for some reason and sink.  I'd hate to read where something happened and things fell off.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

7 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I think yours has the most "wow" power probably the size allowing for detail and all the details being added.   

Just a thought herer.  I give some though to securing the island to the deck and anything else to the hull.  Consider if nothing maybe using some pins.  I've seen too many RC boats over the years roll over or flood for some reason and sink.  I'd hate to read where something happened and things fell off.

If you note the 2x round holes in the top surface, those are 10mm diameter, and 5mm deep.  I have some magnets...plan is to add them and the island will be held on by magnets.  🙂

Brad/NavyShooter

I didn't notice as I was rather overwhelmed  just looking at the photos.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

It's sometimes overwhelming to stand back and look at the whole project as well.  

Probably why I've picked details to focus on in a lot of cases.

I think with the hangar 'figured out' I now have to put my mind to fixing the prop shaft issues that I inherited with the model. 

Brad/NavyShooter

It's sometimes overwhelming to stand back and look at the whole project as well.  

Probably why I've picked details to focus on in a lot of cases.

I think with the hangar 'figured out' I now have to put my mind to fixing the prop shaft issues that I inherited with the model. 

Brad/NavyShooter

I've got a good start on the plank that I'll be using as the base - a layer of polyurethane applied to both sides of it this evening.  I need some more lumber to finish it up - some oak for the supports, and some rails for the bottom edges to add some stiffness and strength.

So, while I was waiting for the paint to dry, I decided to have a peek at the mast, and maybe run some of the signal halyards.  

Ended up running all 10 of them.  I didn't tie them yet, I haven't thought that far ahead, but the lines are run, so that details is about 1/2 done.

I'm not sure how much more rigging I'm going to add - in looking, there's definitely a flag to be hoisted from the mainmast, but I'll have to see where that is to run.  This is the first time I've ever actually done rigging on a ship model, so I'm pleased that my initial design actually worked on this!  

Bonnie Rigging.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

I brought the Bonnie out in her current state to show at the Halifax International Boat Show with some fellow modelers and their ships from the Maritime Ship Modeler's Guild.

If you're in the area, feel free to drop out tomorrow afternoon, Saturday or Sunday!

Bonnie on Display HIBS 6.jpg

Bonnie on Display HIBS 5.jpg

Bonnie on Display HIBS 4.jpg

Bonnie on Display HIBS 3.jpg

Bonnie on Display HIBS 2.jpg

Bonnie on Display HIBS 1.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter