electric / battery pin nailer

I am not having a great deal of success with push pins (arthritis). Any thoughts on using an electric or battery powered pin nailer? I would use it for planking or other similar, temporary tacking rather than one of the push hammers such as that on micromark.  

If yes is anyone able to recommend one?

Thanks,

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Nails are not needed if the planks are properly pre-shaped.  Consider studying the planking tutorial by David Antscherl in the Articles data base here at MSW and watch the four videos that Chuck Passaro made on proper planking techniques.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

3 hours ago, rtropp said:

I am not having a great deal of success with push pins (arthritis). Any thoughts on using an electric or battery powered pin nailer? I would use it for planking or other similar, temporary tacking rather than one of the push hammers such as that on micromark.  

If yes is anyone able to recommend one?

Thanks,

Richard

Is this for the first layer of planks? Would a nailer with a rounded head be a better option maybe? I'm just thinking it would sit comfortably in the palm of your hand.

This is a ModelCraft nailer.

rsz_e0f39f2aa7354b91a204a01cea517160.jpg.png

Brute force nailing has worked for a long time in full size construction.  This is usually done with softwood that has enough air space to mostly accommodate the increase in volume.  This strictly friction hold is probably not wise with hardwood at full size and a totally bad idea at miniature scale.

I suggest first drilling a hole with a diameter just slightly less than the diameter of the brass nail.  A test will determine just how much less. 

If the receptor is plywood, it is likely end grain is involved.  End grain makes for a very poor bond. 

With plywood molds, the outer edge may act more reliably if it is seriously primed with PVA ( with no excess ) a few days before anything else is done to it.

If the tool applying force requires serious force from you, the receptor hole is too small.

If the nail wants to bend, the receptor hole is too small.

If an electrical hammer tool is anything but overkill, the receptor hole is too small.

The cylinder type push tool is a poor choice. 

The MM plyer   push pin tool is a better choice. 

A good quality curved Kelly hemostat is a better choice. 

If the nail is to remain,  dipping the nail in 90% PVA - for hardwood or 100% PVA - for plywood may work in your favor.

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Thank you all for your responses.  They were very helpful.  It does not appear that anyone has tried an electronic Nailer vs push Nailer.  I'm guessing there is a darn good reason. So I will continue to use rubber bands and modified bulldog clips.  

Richard

by the way, in answer to your question this is a single planking that will be painted.

Edited by rtropp

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren