Hello from Key West Florida

Hello all. I am honored to be accepted into this group. I built models when I was very young, mostly plastic. I built my first wooden ship when I was in the Navy back in the early 80s. It was a sloop rig but I don't remember the name or the details, but I still have it after all these years. Back then I purchased a 1850 whaling launch from Panart, 1:16scale. I completed the shell of the hull back in 85 and put it on the shelf and focused on career and family. Well 37 years later and I have taken it off the shelf and picked up were I left off. The pictures are of where I left off and where I currently am. It's probably to late to start a build log here, but I have taken pictures of the build along the way. I have read alot of the build logs here and have gained more knowledge of this art and have applied the techniques to my current build. Cheers and hope to learn more from all of you experienced modelers out there!!

20220626_154437.jpg

20220420_142046.jpg

Good Morning! Welcome to the forum! What name do we call you? What did you do in the Navy? Don’t be shy asking questions. 👍😀

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Hi Dave. Thank you for the warm welcome.  My name is Jeff but my handle is Nearshore. Will answer to either one.  I was an aviation electronics technician in the Navy. I am an electrical contractor now and have owned my company for 24years. It's time for me to slow down and get back to the fundamentals of life, this hobby being one of them. I will certainly be asking questions as well as participating in the many forums here. I will start a build log on my next project, HMS Bellona from Corel. I'm told it's a challenging build so I will be reaching out for the expert advice from many of the seasoned modelers here. Thanks again for the welcome!!

34 minutes ago, Nearshore said:

I was an aviation electronics technician in the Navy.

Welcome aboard! My dad did the same, but for B-47s in the USAF. I commend you for getting back to your project after a 37-year layoff -- have fun completing it!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Welcome to MSW, Jeff.  Your model is looking good.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

Welcome aboard! My dad did the same, but for B-47s in the USAF. I commend you for getting back to your project after a 37-year layoff -- have fun completing it!

Thanks! I'm surprised that it is still in good shape after all these years. I see so many mistakes I did on the planking back then. There was no internet back then and the instructions are not very good so had no guidance other then text books. Lol

Welcome and thank you for sharing your photos!   

Hope you have lots of good luck with your next project.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me