Good morning from the banks of the Ohio River

I developed an interest in building wooden boats in the mid-90s, after having (regretfully) sold my late grandfather's Chris Craft Sea Skiff, a 22-foot clinker-built boat he kept at his lake camp in the Adirondacks.

Started out, thank goodness, with one of the old Midwest kits, the lobster smack, and went on from there. Thank goodness because it was ideal for a novice. The Midwest kits were relatively easy, and the instructions were phenomenal. I learned a lot.

My first POB kit was the MS Katy of Norfolk (since then redesigned as solid hull). The result was regrettable but the ensuing Viking funeral was spectacular.

Eventually I tried again with the AL Bluenose, which yielded satisfactory results although in hindsight one can see what should have been done differently.

Favorite build was the Mamoli Puritan -- one of the loveliest boats ever. Among the chief challenges to that project was comprehending the imperfectly translated instructions. I've also done a Mayflower, Taurus tug, Swampscott dory and a couple of others.

I also built a full-sized kayak from a Chesapeake Light Craft kit. Tons of fun.

It seems my tastes run counter to the majority of builders in that I like small craft and working boats more than ships of war. Also, I invariably skip the second planking and paint my hulls. I don't want my models to look like varnished walnut furniture. I want them to look like real boats -- at least as much so as my limited skill can make them.

I stalled on my current project, the Mamoli Britannia, a few years back because of medical issues. Since recovering, I've remained sidetracked with restoration projects on our 130-year-old house taking priority.

I've done some desultory work on the Britannia over the last couple years but now hope to get back to it and finish up. It's also a beautiful boat. If I can get up a little momentum and can assure myself I will get it done, I'll start a build log.

I've fussed around with a few plastic airplanes, and while plastic has its challenges and I respect those with the skill to work with the medium, I prefer ships and I prefer wood. And that's why I'm here.

Welcome aboard, Mike!

14 minutes ago, Mike James said:

My first POB kit was the MS Katy of Norfolk (since then redesigned as solid hull).

Ironically, that kit (which was also my first POB build and is here in the gallery) started life as a solid-hull kit, was then modified to a POB kit, and then later released again as a solid-hull offering. I recall that there were some issues with the POB kit's instructions that caused a bit of consternation, the main one being that the kit was designed to be double-planked, but the instructions described a single plank construction. Oh, well. It got finished and now has a spot of honor in my man cave.

Believe it or not, we also have a finished build log for a CLC Sassafras 12 canoe here on our forum. I know the guy who built it -- a bit ham-handed with the epoxy, but his finished canoe didn't sink and take him down with it, and that's the main thing.

Enjoy your stay!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Hello welcome to MSW. The place to be!!!!

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60, Viking Ship Drakkar-1:50

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

:piratebo5:welcome to MSW 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Hi Mike,

Welcome to MSW!  

Although we now live near the shore of Lake Superior, I am familiar with the Banks of the Ohio River. We lived in Marietta, Ohio for 20 years, and my son now lives in Evansville, Indiana- both river towns with a history of shipbuilding; Some ocean going vessels were actually built in Marietta as well as US Navy gunboats both in the late 1700’s and early 1800’s.  LST’s were built in Evansville during WW II.  Evansville is also the home of LST-325, one of the very few still surviving.  A beautiful and interesting part of the country.

Roger

Welcome to MSW, Mike.   I'm a former Buckeye from Dayton and lived in Cincinnati for a number of years.  Beautiful part of the state there.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome aboard Michael.  Thank you for that great introduction.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU