Captain John Smith’s Shallop by JerryC - Ships of Pavel Nikitin - 1:32

Ron, 

I tried a sim

edge razor blade on some of the thick jig making material and was not satisfied with the results. I think the MDF is too dense and the parts are too small to feel comfortable with a razor blade that close to my fingers. I will try again when I get to the planks and other wooden parts. It’ll be all files and sandpaper for the jigs.

Hi Jerry,

Have a look at Olga's video, about 14:50 along - she shows the frame you are having problems with. I hope the link works. If it doesn't find the video via James' post on the shallop. 

Cheers

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

AL's Endeavour,  Corel's BellonaAmati's Xebec,  Billing's Roar Ege, Panart's Armed Launch

Ships' Boats - Vanguard 1:64 and Master Korabel 1:72

Alexander Arbuthnot,  Christiaan Brunings,  Pevenseall by World of Paperships

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Captain John Smith's Shallop by Pavel Nitikin

Rumpler "Taube" 1911 by HMV

2BE67232-652C-4ECF-B197-F099A1B58721.thumb.jpeg.7a4cfcfbfb65f0076d38715d581ae22f.jpegwe’ll, I’ve got the full set of frames, the bow and stern frames are a little suspect. We’ll see when they are inserted into the jig. If I can get them in the jig, I’m hoping that the gunwale and the clamp will hold it all together until I can get some planking on that should hold it all together.

Jerry,

I think you will find that the skeleton will be surprisingly stable once the frames are inserted into the jig and glued to the keel, the keelson is added and the gunwales and clamps are added.  Delicate, but stable.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

5 hours ago, JerryC said:

Olha not Olga. Thank god for autocorrect 

"Olha" is Ukrainian, "Olga" is English. Her English language website identifies her as Olga. Whatever 😊. Her modelling skills are far better than mine😁.

I'm following your log with interest Jerry, as I have the model as well, though I haven't started it yet.

Cheers

Edited by Richard44

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

AL's Endeavour,  Corel's BellonaAmati's Xebec,  Billing's Roar Ege, Panart's Armed Launch

HMS Pegasus by Victory

11 hours ago, Richard44 said:

"Olha" is Ukrainian, "Olga" is English. Her English language website identifies her as Olga. Whatever 😊.

She is Ukrainian.  Her shirt says "Olha" and in her FAQ video she pronounces her name "OH-la".

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

'Had a look at the framing video, and I think its WAY cool.  The Khufu boat build from Woody Joe had a novel way to frame and plank ... THIS kit has another ingenious design!  Its definitely on my want list in the future.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Chuck, good looking too, I hate her, or maybe I envy her, or ma,bye I love her. Regardless, I am impressed with her talent.

johnny, it’s a novel way to put these things together. It’s expected that you can figure out what’s depicted in the illustrations. With help from Chuck Seiler and others with common sense, and experience with the kit, it will be an easy and satisfying project. It’s a nice kit with good materials. I think you won’t be disappointed when you purchase the kit. U

There’s trouble in river city, and I don’t mean pool. These frames just don’t have enough can’t to fit in the jig. All the rest of the frames look good. I’ll be doing some debonding and see if I can salvage them. I should have paid more attention to Ohla’s video, would have saved me the aggravation!4B44DC8B-4B35-40E5-9010-76DCABDD631D.thumb.jpeg.4d2ea3c58b498b17ba10ab1fc1b170f2.jpeg

I figured out where I went wrong. When I put the main jig together, there was a tight fit between the tabs and the slots. Not a real problem, just required a little adjustment, mostly just sanding the tabs a little. 
on the jigs for assembling the cant frames, the bottom narrow legs were too thick to fit in the form. So, I opened up the slots in the jig. Bad idea. With the legs fit into the jig, the frames didn’t line up with the center pieces.the legs were too low to mate with the center pieces. When the new pieces arrive, I’ll need to block up the slots in the jig.

Can you just unglue the cant frames?

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

13 hours ago, JerryC said:

Yes, I did unglue them, but I was unclear about the process and tried to shape the pieces with files and sandpaper. I should have fixed the jig. 

All things considered that sounds like the normal approach.  At least you didn't reach for a large hammer.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

14 hours ago, mtaylor said:

At least you didn't reach for a large hammer.  

You are never going to let me live that one down, are you?

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

8 hours ago, Chuck Seiler said:

You are never going to let me live that one down, are you?

I forgot about that not even sure I do remember.  I was thinking of what I've done at least once.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

While waiting for frame parts, I’m assembling some other stuff. I’m getting the hang of it. There are a lot of subtle locating notches that require attentionE02639BE-D515-4B29-89A2-AC50C237F0E2.thumb.jpeg.38e257875a7f0e324426b1623ed5a63e.jpegI had disassemble this one twice i was aligning the pieces at the top and losing the notches.0ACC6DBA-CBE0-497E-9B96-2AE1AF311417.thumb.jpeg.9a74861602063348277530b252175c11.jpegthis one needed to be fixed three times1DD70A91-6D03-4FE8-83C0-325BA5B42C38.thumb.jpeg.09a5168a9424136148138eedcdd7407d.jpegthis one still needs to be cleaned up and the hoops blackened and fastened. I think I’ll have to go and get some CA for that. I don’t think PVA is appropriate and epoxy would be too messy. I’m thinking of draining it walnut, only because I have a can of it sitting around.

On 1/14/2023 at 7:46 AM, JerryC said:

Maybe put the frame sides in face down?

Hi Jerry,

Yes, the frames have to go in face down. If you look at Olha's video, about 14:30 in, you can clearly see her putting frame 22 into the jig 105 face down. What initially confused me is that you can see a laser-etched line on the back of the frame sides. Olha must have a slightly different kit to me, and probably you, as mine does not have any etched lines on the back of sheet 1P (the sheet with all the frames etc). A close look at the diagram for frame 22 on page 12 does show the position of the etched line that we don't have.

I glued up frame 22 this morning and two photos of it are attached. The third photo is of the frame loosely in position on the keel.

20230208_124626.thumb.jpg.0ed8824d8e1064b2af690364aec612c1.jpg20230208_124643.thumb.jpg.2994dfdac57ef66baafb6bc913e5b52c.jpg

20230208_131915.thumb.jpg.358fc640eb828d7b00d99f12e8b899dd.jpg

Cheers

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

HMS Pegasus by Victory

• 3 weeks later...

Jerry's parts have arrived or should be arriving shortly, based on timing of previous shipping.  I look forward to the  shipyard restarting production.

I wanted to take this opportunity to ask a question about real construction.  Based on building practice of the day, would the frames have been bolted together or treenailed?

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

• 4 weeks later...

Looking good Jerry. 

Be careful not to sand down too much or else it may throw off the alignment.  I noticed that with the frame jig the charring was in ridges.  I think if you lightly sand the charring to where the ridges are smooth but you still have some color...AND...smoothing the frame faces, you will get a snug (but not too snug) fit.

Little at a time.  You can always take more off.  Harder to put more back on.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild