HMS Bounty Launch by Oakheart - FINISHED - Scale 1:24 – 18th century - based on drawings from National Maritime Museum

On 1/22/2023 at 12:49 PM, CiscoH said:

planking looks great!  

Thanks for the compliment  cisco

After sanding down I'm sure my planks will be uneven thickness.

Tim

Edited by oakheart
auto correct, garbage removal.

Current Builds :

Cutter "Speedy" 1828 from Plans by Bill Shoulders at 148

Bounty Launch - Scratch build - FINISHED
85 ft. Harbour Tug. scratch built  from plans by Francis Smith. ( FINISHED but no build log for this )

HMS Lightning. kit bashed from Deans Marine HMS Kelly kit ( FINISHED ) yes at last....

16 minutes ago, druxey said:

bed that garboard down more.

Thanks for the tip Druxey, I think when I do the next version in Cedar, I do some pre bending as you suggest
it would mean less clamping needed

Tim

Current Builds :

85 ft. Harbour Tug. scratch built  from plans by Francis Smith. ( FINISHED but no build log for this )

HMS Lightning. kit bashed from Deans Marine HMS Kelly kit ( FINISHED ) yes at last....

Based on what Druxey advised I borrowed a heating tool from a model aircraft mate.

IMG_2833.JPG.14a7d7c8fc812016a8aa967d32c5ad69.JPG

and bent the plank.

IMG_2830.JPG.08c03ddb392538ce0f622abd52eabf79.JPG

It really makes it easier to fit.

Tim

Current Builds :

On 1/21/2023 at 11:35 PM, oakheart said:

Next Time - ha ha, nice to see someone has faith in my new found skills ...

Tim

ps I have not been napping, but did not want to show plank by plank, more coming later today.

You got this.  And it's even more impressive since it's your first time.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

12 hours ago, Montaigne said:

Kudos to everyone for sharing their research, ideas and suggestions, and to oakheart: well done so far, it's looking good!

Thanks for the compliments. 
Allan and Craig are the experts here, There is a load of information on the their other logs as well. 

I'm just here having a load of fun doing some research, trying new ideas and learning new skills.

Question Should all of the detailed information be collected together and put it in the "launch details" log.

Who started that log ?

was it Craig or Allan? my memory is not so good 

Tim

Current Builds :

9 minutes ago, oakheart said:

Who started that log ?

Allan, but it's a thread not a log.

10 minutes ago, oakheart said:

Question Should all of the detailed information be collected together and put it in the "launch details" log.

It pretty much is, we don't know much. I'll add drawings (or a link to them after I finish my build and tidy the drawings up).

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

54 minutes ago, oakheart said:

Thanks for the compliments. 
Allan and Craig are the experts here, There is a load of information on the their other logs as well. 

I'm just here having a load of fun doing some research, trying new ideas and learning new skills.

Who started that log ?

was it Craig or Allan? my memory is not so good 

Tim

Thanks, I’ve been spending countless hours over the past days reading through MSW build logs on the Bounty launch. My head is going to start spinning in a day or two lol, especially considering that English is not my native language, requiring me to translate many nautical terms as I read. But it’s great fun. 

I was thinking the same about the “launch details” thread, assuming you’re referring to the one linked below. I have a couple of questions regarding historical accuracy for my planned build, which will be a kit bash of the Model Shipways Bounty launch, and it feels as they might belong in that thread for posterity. But at the same time I don’t want to hijack someone else’s thread. 

Edited by Montaigne

27 minutes ago, Montaigne said:

I have a couple of questions regarding historical accuracy for my planned build, which will be a kit bash of the Model Shipways Bounty launch, and it feels as they might belong in that thread for posterity. But at the same time I don’t want to hijack someone else’s thread. 

While Allan created that thread with a question about oars he later realised it was more a discussion about the Bounty's launch and he changed the title and purpose of the thread. Your questions would indeed be welcome.

Craig.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

6 minutes ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

While Allan created that thread with a question about oars he later realised it was more a discussion about the Bounty's launch and he changed the title and purpose of the thread. Your questions would indeed be welcome.

Thanks, much appreciated. I had missed the change of purpose for the thread.

I have now got to, as Craig said - the interesting bit.

Moving down the frame, now when I lay the plank on the frame, the plank is flat but the frame is curved !

In the photo, I have used a wider plank to exaggerate what happens, the problem is made worse when you can only clamp from one side of the plank.

1423206310_plankproblem1.jpg.364184a96ff339f825d0fb59a13ecf30.jpg

Sorry - I could not get the phone to focus on the end of the plank, but you can see what's going on.

To overcome this I have just tried a test laying of a plank.

Firstly between the tick marks on the frame, I sanded that area flat.

It's glue up right now, we will see later if it worked.

How do others overcome this?

Is there a trick I am missing?

Tim

Current Builds :

52 minutes ago, Montaigne said:

translate many nautical terms  

Even native English speakers ( Me ) are having problems interpreting, understanding  and remembering the nautical terms used here.

It does sink in over time.

Tim

Current Builds :

16 minutes ago, oakheart said:

the interesting bit

There's a few things you can try.

First off, in a full size boat you can facet the frames as you have but this leaves a faceted interior, you can hollow out the inside of the planks to match the frames or you can use more skinnier planks.

In a model you have the additional option of bending the plank around the frame either dry or wet. Clamping with rubber bands helps and using hollowed out balsa blocks helps more. Only clamp on or close to the frames.

Craig.

1 hour ago, oakheart said:

Sorry - I could not get the phone to focus on the end of the plank, but you can see what's going on.

Tim, try tapping the area on the screen you want focus on. A frame then appears and stays with the area even if you move your phone.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

5 hours ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

1: Facet the frames as you have but this leaves a faceted interior
2: hollow out the inside of the planks 

3: skinnier planks.

4: using hollowed out balsa blocks

5: Only clamp on the frames.

so my take on those options are :

1: Could I live with the faceted inside - Yes, if it's not to noticeable it could be alright

2 : looks like it would be really difficult to do.

3 : Planks are only 0.8 mm ( 1/32 ") going even thinner may work, worth testing, may break.

4 : This would help but may need a lot of clamping pressure and crush the model.

5 : with the clamps I am using that's the only way they work, will try elastic bands

Thanks for all of those ideas, I will see how my faceted frame worked when I un-clamp it later

Tim

Current Builds :

I have now glued up the matching plank pre-bent and faceted the frames.

It looks good, so I think I will continue with this technique until I get round the bend, then up the straighter sides go back to normal.

I saw some one on this forum ( website )  who had planked straight from the Garboard right up to the gunwale in one run, so on this build that is what I am trying out.

As a programmer I was taught "only change one thing at a time" or you won't know what is causing the problem.
Here I have just jumped in with all feet first.

Tim

Current Builds :

Waiting for the 5th plank to dry, trawling through the incredible amount of build logs there are here on MSW.

I found this build log https://modelshipworld.com/topic/3741-queen-annes-revenge-1710-by-shipmodel-finished-136-scale/

Thanks  shipmodel  ( Dan ) your work on the QAR boats gives me a goal to work towards. It has re-inspired me, my planking was beginning to get to me.

I know this is only a tiny model but it is testing me.

Reading the QAR log I'm being tempted towards a larger project, like a pirate ship or a Bounty.

But I really do need to finish my launch first. I am too easily tempted into a new project, leaving a trail of part finished models in my wake

Tim

Current Builds :

The planking has been ongoing.
I am really not sure about it being correct. I need some advice.

The way the planks are tapered from the frame towards the stem looks odd, but I cant figure out what it is I've got wrong?

IMG_2847.JPG.6483fba982ecb4a95eb3785a98281ac5.JPG

should it be more like the penciled in line ?

IMG_2844.JPG.98db9a92993d6119e0b355dfdcd43136.JPGIMG_2846.JPG.f4812fc1645fcbca0926be4bef16640e.JPGIMG_2845.JPG.26887c2f87ebc98fecfaf6f55cff114b.JPGIMG_2841.JPG.e708fe87dfe115c008ae734af98e1f47.JPG

With the photo above , I can also see that I missed the tick mark on the stem one plank up, that can't be helping.

Tim

Current Builds :

That looks exactly what I did on my first version of the Kågen hull. 

While the planks themselves looks okay it is the buildup of tiny errors that get you to where you sit right now.

The culprit looks to be the second plank, the one above the garboard. It runs too high on the stem. I found out that a nice run of planks looks straight when eyeballed from stem to stern at specific angles. 

See this post from my build log and the discussion that follows: 

Don't let your heart sink though. It IS a learning experience!

Keep it up!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

19 minutes ago, Wintergreen said:

Don't let your heart sink though. It IS a learning experience!

Keep it up!

Thanks for that Håkan.

I do need to remember that this is going to be my 'dirty' boat so any errors will be hidden, the next version in cedar wood is the one that I want to look good.

I will read you build log.

Tim

Current Builds :

Cumulative error is the bane of many a ship modeler.  You are definitely not alone.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

1 hour ago, allanyed said:

Cumulative error is the bane of many a ship modeler. 

Allan -  thanks for reassurance

Note to self : must pay more attention, not just zoom off following my nose.

Tim

Current Builds :

9 hours ago, oakheart said:

Note to self : must pay more attention, not just zoom off following my nose.

I think that's a note to everyone.

Right or wrong, this is what I do.

First determine the maximum height up the stem of the garboard. This varies with the breadth of the plank. Cut a piece of plank the same breadth as the garboard short enough to sit in a straight section of the keel rabbet, use this as a spacer for a straight piece of balsa which reaches to the stem rabbet. That point is the maximum height up the stem of the garboard.

IMGP0752s.JPG.790c86cb53824b513b6a2ccce2f8b450.JPG

At this point you can take measurements to get the curve of the garboard in the stem rabbet (put tick marks on the balsa and note measurements) but I tend to 'wing it'.

Fit the garboard strakes.

Now some maths, working out the breadth of the 'normal' strakes. Measure the distance from the garboard to the top of the sheer strake and subtract any 'abnormal' strakes, in the case of this launch remember to measure the outside of the planks not just along the frames as the planks will be narrower on the inside of the curve. Divide by the number of 'normal' strakes. If the result at the stem (or transom) is less than half the maximum breadth (at station 0) consider adding another strake.

IMGP0755s2.JPG.d3c351d0c07ccbe9f9e77cb366deb5ea.JPG

Note that at the stem the number is the length along the stem rather than the breadth of the plank.

IMGP0754s2.JPG.8c7ab55d113f523c87025441db2a552b.JPG

Repeat the calculations for each frame. And you should re-check your calculations after each strake.

I then use the masking tape method to get the abutting shape of the next strake.

IMGP0725s.JPG.eadf0f8ce6c238a219f4773640f51d23.JPG

I then shape and test, shape and test, shape and test, shape and test, shape and test the next plank.

I then use the calculated widths to shape the other edge of the plank. (note the measurements noted on the plank in pic 3 above).

Rinse and repeat.

Edited by iMustBeCrazy

Craig.

6 minutes ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

Right or wrong, this is what I do.

Wow, thanks Craig.

I have only a couple of planks left to bodge on this build, ( the dirty boat ) but on the cedar version this is what I will do.

I have copied and pasted it into a word document and will print it out so I can refer to it.

Tim

Current Builds :

30 minutes ago, oakheart said:

I have copied and pasted it into a word document and will print it out so I can refer to it.

Tim, note that it's not perfect. I've fitted the next plank (that shown in pic 3) and it doesn't quite look right, That curve, I think I have to reduce that 5.8mm to 4mm. Maybe, I'll ponder it.

Edit: I left out that you should re-check your calculations after each strake.

Edited by iMustBeCrazy

Craig.

Well here we are, I finished the planking and let the glue set overnight.
Then with great trepidation I cut the frames away from the jig. With some wriggling and gentle pushing the hull popped off.

179135125_hullremovedfromjig.JPG.3bb050f3acf1a19597eb7c04235838fc.JPG

Now some detail shots

External

1006677223_hullexternalview.jpg.b1037d5da3aaf5d9d66bb2ce80a7a28a.jpg

Inside from stern and stem

1634153079_insidefromstern.JPG.3ea515e2f4b974d7f02defe45906017b.JPG720609283_insidefromstem.JPG.c0d1432676d6b7e27f5547a012f2afad.JPG

close up 

1339080756_insidecustern.JPG.027bad8c608e54620f0f10c02e04526b.JPG

830437571_insidecumid.JPG.47f5a2552c982f88f813b8d09bf1358f.JPG

369430695_insidecustem.JPG.a0c269235bfcc5a81411733ba548d70d.JPG

I am really pleased with my very first plank on frame.

It needs a fair bit of fettling, I have learned a lot by doing this

The frames need a lot of sanding, but I have learned to be careful when sanding....

2019001860_smallholefromsanding.JPG.83346f0a186e20eebbb7a44e616f47ae.JPG

I think I can fix this by gluing in a patch on the inside

so as a proof of concept it worked.

Comments please.

Tim

inside long view.JPG

Current Builds :

I'm continuously impressed with you going almost straight into scratch building and the results. I have a scratch build planned myself, but only after completing two of my first ever model kits: the Bounty Launch and The Endurance (still in the "planning everything and saving up to buy kits and tools" stage).

I'm also happy to see you persevere when the construction don't quite add up. I think it's turning out quite well indeed.

A model ship builder friend of mine often jokes about his model possibly ending up as firewood when he encounters difficulties, and I keep telling him it would only keep him warm for twenty minutes. In your case, considering the size of the launch, it would only be a matter of a few minutes, so keep up the spirit. Every time we make a mistake, albeit at a price, we learn something new.

15 hours ago, Montaigne said:

Every time we make a mistake, albeit at a price, we learn something new.

I have heard that "we learn nothing from success", can't remember who said  it.

Thank you for the encouraging words, they help to keep the fire going.

Thanks too to all the lurking likers 🙂

moving on, whats next?

Thwarts and gunwales I guess.

Tim

Edited by oakheart
fumbling fingers

Current Builds :

8 hours ago, oakheart said:

so as a proof of concept it worked.

Comments please.

You have convinced me to try this method on my next go at a ship's boat. I can see how this can be used with the floors and futtocks being set up as separate pieces as well.  It will be interesting to see how it compares with traditional plug former methods at 1:48 or smaller.   

Anxiously waiting for your next installment!!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU