HMS Bounty Launch by Oakheart - FINISHED - Scale 1:24 – 18th century - based on drawings from National Maritime Museum

On 2/20/2023 at 11:43 AM, AnobiumPunctatum said:

If you have later questions please let me know.

Hi Christian

You developed some drawings for the Alert http:// https://modelshipworld.com/topic/4993-naval-cutter-alert-by-anobiumpuncatum-scale-132-pof/#comment-144239

Would it be alright if I used these to help me develop my 1:64 scale version of the Rattlesnake?

Tim

Current Builds :

Cutter "Speedy" 1828 from Plans by Bill Shoulders at 148

Bounty Launch - Scratch build - FINISHED
85 ft. Harbour Tug. scratch built  from plans by Francis Smith. ( FINISHED but no build log for this )

HMS Lightning. kit bashed from Deans Marine HMS Kelly kit ( FINISHED ) yes at last....

Hi Tim,

this was my first try. I used the Design and not the As-Built drawings. I was not really happy with the result and could not solve the points I did not like. Last year I started with a new reconsrtuction following the as-built drawings of Rattlesnake. In this I have solved the problems of my old design.

If you find the old design helpful, feel free to use it.

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

1 hour ago, AnobiumPunctatum said:

If you find the old design helpful, feel free to use it.

Thanks Christian

I hope to do a plank on bulkhead scratch build of a Cutter as used in the South East Kent area of the UK
The Rattlesnake was built at Folkestone a town I know well.

Any information I can get will help with drawing up my plans.

I have chopped up the Danish drawing and imported it into Fusion 360, next I start tracing the station lines for the bulkheads.

It's the same as I did for this launch model, just bigger..

Tim

Current Builds :

85 ft. Harbour Tug. scratch built  from plans by Francis Smith. ( FINISHED but no build log for this )

HMS Lightning. kit bashed from Deans Marine HMS Kelly kit ( FINISHED ) yes at last....

• 3 weeks later...

OK. back again after a turbulent couple of weeks.

I have been playing with weathering paint FX for the as sailed version.

First tests :

outsidedirtytest2.jpg.ea0b5f6d871ed6a2f49ae9935bfffb96.jpg

with the green I was trying to get the kind of slimy look you get on old timber, not sure if this would happen on a boat at sea?

a close up

outsidedirtytest1.jpg.53244c5674323832143e33c67ea6413e.jpg

and here is a dirty inside

insidedirtytest.jpg.443a686f3f4892e47c01ab57574e7ae9.jpg

The brown is a bit much, but I like the effect.

Comments please.

Tim

Current Builds :

5 hours ago, oakheart said:

with the green I was trying to get the kind of slimy look you get on old timber, not sure if this would happen on a boat at sea?

Tests are looking good!

The slimy green would be algae which happens to all boats at sea. Primarily below the waterline, but if conditions are continuously damp and sunny it can grow anywhere.

• 1 month later...

You may not have noticed, but there’s not been much in the way of progress here.

They say things come in threes, well that's been true for me.
It’s been a bad time for me lately, on a weekend some weeks ago now.

Saturday : Robin a good friend of mine died after fighting cancer for a very long time.

Sunday : Liz . My big sister died, suddenly from a medical condition nobody knew she had.

A week later : I had a medical scare, loads of tests with prodding and every type of scanning known to mankind. Thankfully the lump turned out to be benign. Whew!

After spending time in France helping Robins widow sort out his unfinished projects, he had 4 classic cars in pieces, some of the parts labelled and stored in boxes some randomly placed on shelves, I'm sure he knew what and where everything was.

I got to thinking about my own projects and what I want to achieve.

What is it I want?

I want to produce some nice looking models, made from wood.
I don’t really need them to be historically accurate in every detail.

They should be: well made, well finished and if possible look at least similar to the original.

So in response to my thoughts.

I am declaring this model of the Bounty Launch FINISHED.

It has served its purpose; I have learned the basics of making a wooden model ship.

That includes planking, realising that small scale is harder, understanding that I should work with good quality materials.

But the most important thing is that by doing this build log I have learned a lot from you rogues on here.

So moving forwards, I will be starting a new Build log, the new project will be an English Cutter from the 18th or 19th Century

Hope to see you over there.

Sorry about the rant, I know this is not a self help group.
Now back to the modelling, well tidy up the workshop and sort all my stuff out.

Tim

Current Builds :

4 hours ago, oakheart said:

Sorry about the rant

No apology needed -- you went through a rough patch there. I hope the pain of loss will diminish with time, and I wish you well on your future projects.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Sorry to hear you've been through rough times, Tim. Hope you'll be able to find some comfort in new build projects.

I agree with your thoughts about attention to historical accuracy; I got a bit discouraged myself planning my upcoming build of the Bounty launch, as there are so many details about it that can be questioned and endlessly researched. But I don't work as a model builder at a maritime museum, I just want to build well made boats and ships that somewhat resemble their historical counterparts.

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

I wish you well on your future projects.

Chris thanks for your thoughts, I am determined to make those future projects enjoyable.

Tim

Current Builds :

30 minutes ago, Montaigne said:

there are so many details about it that can be questioned and endlessly researched. But I don't work as a model builder at a maritime museum, I just want to build well made boats and ships that somewhat resemble their historical counterparts.

Thanks for your comment, it helps. 
Talking of research, its something I really enjoy doing, just putting it into practice on the model is what I have realised I don't want or need to do to achieve what I want out this hobby.

Tim

Current Builds :

10 hours ago, oakheart said:

You may not have noticed, but there’s not been much in the way of progress here.

I certainly did Tim.

Fortunately my run has had better outcomes.

Late last year my younger brother was diagnosed with leukemia, treatment seems to have worked but full recovery will take time. Two weeks ago my mother had a small heart attack during a pacemaker replacement, she is nearing recovery. Three days after that my elder brother was diagnosed with prostate cancer, it was removed and despite it being a very aggressive cancer it doesn't appear to have spread. Me, my migraines are almost gone (they were only mild anyway).

But, that's life in a big city.

As for cutters, Lapwing will probably get some re-drawing after reading this document posted by Kris.

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

32 minutes ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

Fortunately my run has had better outcomes.

You missed me 🙂

Glad the outcomes over there were good.

35 minutes ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

As for cutters, Lapwing will probably get some re-drawing after reading this document posted by Kris.

Off to take a look right now. 

36 minutes ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

But, that's life in a big city.

That's life anywhere it seems.

Let's all remember to enjoy this day we have.

Tim

Current Builds :

7 minutes ago, oakheart said:

Let's all remember to enjoy this day

I'm off to the park to photograph birds.

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

2 minutes ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

I'm off to the park to photograph birds.

Enjoy.

Tim

Current Builds :

14 hours ago, oakheart said:

Sorry about the rant, I know this is not a self help group.
Now back to the modelling, well tidy up the workshop and sort all my stuff out.

Tim

No need to apologize.  We're band of brothers and sisters here and that's a good thing, IMO.   Take your time and sort out where you want to go with hobby.   Some just do research and not build so follow your heart.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

6 hours ago, mtaylor said:

follow your heart.

Thanks Mark, MSW is a  wonderful and inspiring place to be a part of, I'm glad I found it.

Tim

Current Builds :