USS Constitution by Hipexec - FINISHED - Constructo - 1:82

I did my final shaping with a file once I attached it to the spar. You can make quick work of it.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Thanks to Bill, I'm taking a break from bowsprits and returning to hammock nets. Bill suggested tieing the nets in startegic places before gluing. I precision cut the four sets of nets after folding them to fit with clamps overnight. I inserted all four into the stanchions and I just finished sewing the first set. I'll trim and glue it next. Thanks to Bill, I think this will works.

post-4214-0-05257600-1410113167_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-66594500-1410113182_thumb.jpg

They are looking great. These are more difficult than mine since my rails, stanchions, and netting were all black. I could hide issues easier. 

Edited by robnbill

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Hola Rich,

your Constitution is getting really nice and I see that your expertise with materials is developing at great steps.

Saludos, Karl

Here's a "sutured" set and then a finished set. I feel like a doctor in the ER after a crash through plate glass.

post-4214-0-30516300-1410130399_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-27255900-1410130414_thumb.jpg

Yup -- I've done that as well.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks Rich for the tips on the hammock nets. They look great. I will use that same method when I get to them (in a year or two or three).

I'm starting to rig the bowsprit. Not the sport of thick fingered, shaky old men.

I keep dry installing and removing the pre-built bowsprit to constantly check alignments and to give my self room to screw in the many eyebolts on the hull and the bowsprit. I couldn't do it if I permanently glued the bowsprit in.

post-4214-0-42506700-1410202206_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-93681600-1410202221_thumb.jpg

The bowsprit is now doweled and glued in place in the hull. The dowel is 3mm and in to the hull about 4mm. I also glued a wedge unseen behind the heads. It fits very sturdy even before the glue sets. I used PVA.

Most of the rigging is now on the bowsprit an I have 3 more lines to add to the bow of the ship before I tie it all together rigging the bowsprit to the hull.

I'll trim the dowel after the glue sets.

post-4214-0-90571200-1410240812_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-93434700-1410240826_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-30920700-1410240841_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-56688900-1410240856_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hipexec

Rich, overcoming and adapting - one of the best parts of this hobby eh?

Great job so far! Hammocks, bowsprit, all of it - nice!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

You may be able to get some ideas here Rich.  It's from Chuck's Syren manual:

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/images/docs/MS2260/MS2260-Syren-Instructions-Chapter-16.pdf

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I installed a guard on my work stand to prevent me hitting the bowsprit when I rotate my model to work. Thanks for the heads up.

Here's the bowsprit guard I installed way back when I installed my rotating work table. Something told me way back I would eventually knock off the bowsprit with one.

post-4214-0-45068100-1410371951_thumb.jpg

I forgot how many bowsprits I broke over the years.   I had a Toyota Tercel once.  And when I went to club meeting the model would be in the back seat.  I snapped the bowsprit several times getting it in and out. That was one of the reasons I went to a smaller scale.

David B

Let the rigging begin. My thick fingers have strung the first of many yards of line. Constructo doesn't make it easy. I have to look in numerous places to figure out where and how each line goes. I have to refer to the outside websites all if you have provided me, also. I even had to cut and paste several of Constructo's drawings since one half of the bowsprit was on one sheet and the other half on another drawing! Who says model ship building was easy? I feel like a detective.

post-4214-0-75683400-1410467605_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hipexec

For all you eagle eyes....I'm still trying to make the bowsprit steps right without ripping them off and starting over. Believe it or not, I made them just like Constructo depicted them..which was wrong!

Constructo doesn't make it easy. I have to look in numerous places to figure out where and how each line goes. I have to refer to the outside websites all if you have provided me, also. I even had to cut and paste several of Constructo's drawings since one half of the bowsprit was on one sheet and the other half on another drawing! Who says model ship building was easy? I feel like a detective.

I have some issues figuring out where lines go for rigging the Carmen, and it's a much simpler ship.  I can only imagine how terrible Constructo's plans are for a square rigged ship.

Good luck Rich!

My shipyard will be closed for a week while I visit friends in California. Might visit the Maritime Museum near Oxnard to see their collection of model ships.