US Brig Syren by bobandlucy - Model Shipways - 1:64

One of the things holding me up is the addition of filler pieces that serve as aids in placing the planking at the stern area. After a couple of tries using strip wood, which I was not happy with, I decided to do a complete fill of this area. I used balsa. These took me about 2 hours each side, but I found the process enjoyable, and think they will do. . . might need a little filler towards the bottom, we'll see.

110_0809.thumb.JPG.831665df6565f6055130b8f92a0c5428.JPG

110_0810.thumb.JPG.769ec33f3b28732c138f30bf6c405ac6.JPG

I'm considering adding more solid fill at the bow. . .

Also made the plank-bending jig described in the instruction manual:

110_0813.thumb.JPG.06cb1e82697200bec8ed6936cfde54c0.JPG

Seems to me that this bending jig would only be accurate for the topmost planks, and adjustment would be required beyond that, or perhaps the jig becomes unusable mid-hull. . . 

Thanks for the likes, and thanks Allan and Gary for the nice comments. 

Bob

Looks great, Bob!  You’ll be extremely happy you added those full piece fillers. The additional surface area will be a huge boon during your planking. 👍🏽

You are right about the bending jig. I ended using a plank bender, but the best result I had was pre forming wet steamed planks on the ship and letting them dry to shape. It was long and tedious but made for relaxing planking. 

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

On 4/6/2023 at 6:26 PM, Overworked724 said:

Looks great, Bob!  You’ll be extremely happy you added those full piece fillers. The additional surface area will be a huge boon during your planking. 👍🏽

You are right about the bending jig. I ended using a plank bender, but the best result I had was pre forming wet steamed planks on the ship and letting them dry to shape. It was long and tedious but made for relaxing planking. 

Thanks, Patrick. Wet bending is what I'm used to, so it's good to hear that you made it work. Did you have trouble holding the plank-end in the bow rabbet?

b

Yes. 🤣

The garboard was a bit of a pain. I ended up creating some ‘cushioned’ clamps to attach to the keel and keep external pressure on the garboard planks as the dried. 

I basically cut some wood clothes pins and wrapped the jaws in rubber bands so they wouldn’t bruise the keel when I attached them. The other side of the garboard was held in place by some binder clips clamped to the bulkhead sections. 

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

• 2 months later...

Going very slow with the planking. So far I've been able to smooth out the area above the wales without excessive thinning of the planks, except near the bow, as would be common for a novice. This is my first traditional type planking effort. I installed the second layer of the wales on one side. It was looking pretty good until I decided to stain the same area on one side, as was done on the prototype.

Forgot to hit this area with pre-stain conditioner first, and it came out quite uneven/blotchy. I don't know if it could be corrected, or if I even want to try. I read that the designer re-stained two or three times, but I'm afraid of it getting too dark. I may just do the other side using the conditioner, and if it comes out better, make that the display side. . . or if not- claim it is intentional weathering!

110_0817.thumb.JPG.f2d1cae300b60ef8eab813000b11c686.JPG

This is not a dead front-on pic and so looks a little funky, but trust me- things are symmetrical. Still need to add the second layer for wales on one side:

110_0820.thumb.JPG.cdecfefabe8218377a9b0e7cf9a9e644.JPG

110_0821.thumb.JPG.53a2a60b723c79ba67b05b20abcaddce.JPG

I'm reasonably happy with the "treenails" (drilled holes with filler, then stained). I used Red Oak filler, because when using Natural on a test piece, I could hardly see them at all.

They may seem a bit dark to some, but I'm not going to sweat it. After all, most of the time, I'll be the only viewer!

Edited by bobandlucy

• 2 months later...

Took forever to sand down the bulwarks to a thickness that would provide an overhang of the cap rail at the rails' specified finished width of 1/4". 

One side nearing completion:

110_0825.thumb.JPG.289d1eab51ad671e0dcfcb48cfdaa276.JPG

110_0826.JPG

I had put off finishing the planking by building the wheel assembly, galley stack, and other fun stuff. Now its time to plank. . .

I decided to try lining off 3 bands of planking. First I tried 1/16" art tape, which failed to adhere to the bulkheads when repositioned. I then tried black thread:

110_0828.thumb.JPG.c6460e7929cf753090ad9400cbbd4858.JPG

110_0829.thumb.JPG.3ae29e770f64c649d2e3d6bb59f1e67a.JPG

I overlaid a wood plank against the thread to verify I was creating a similar line to how a plank would lay and it looks OK. I then started to mark plank widths using tic strips and a planking fan.

What troubles me is that the top band (below the wales, bottom band in picture) wants tapering at the stern, yet the bottom band (nearest the keel) will require stealers:

110_0832.thumb.JPG.65fb2bab41d53a5d3279782952f20796.JPG

110_0835.thumb.JPG.a02387b43f0c1a2ae111d0fe17db6805.JPG

The instruction manual only speaks of tapering planks at the bow, not the stern. And looking at other build logs I see no mention of any tapering needed.

Hmmm. . . If anyone has some insight into this question, please chime in!

Edited by bobandlucy

Bob/Lucy 

Have you looked at any planking expansion drawings?  The strakes widen at the stern towards the keel and in the following cases they narrow closer to the wales.  https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-83709 and https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-83495 show two examples.  They show outboard planking as well as inboard planking.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

2 hours ago, allanyed said:

Bob/Lucy 

Have you looked at any planking expansion drawings?  The strakes widen at the stern towards the keel and in the following cases they narrow closer to the wales.  https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-83709 and https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-83495 show two examples.  They show outboard planking as well as inboard planking.

Allan

Thanks very much. I take it that what I am seeing isn't necessarily wrong. . . this is a new process for me.

47 minutes ago, bobandlucy said:

this is a new process for me.

Even 40 plus years in this hobby does not alleviate the opportunity for me to learn.  Seems I find new and useful information on this site nearly every day.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 1 month later...

I have recently re-started work on my Syren after a very long break and find myself very close to the same stage as you. I just finished planking and began chapter 6. Your work so far is beautiful. I look forward to seeing how you handle the stern as that is what I am currently playing with. I'll be following along.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Great stanchion work, Bob!  What tool are you using to create?  Awesome job! 

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin