HB11 Stirling Hot Air Engine by Diver - Böhm

This kit was a Christmas gift from my wife.  Very unexpected.  It is a simple build but accuracy and gentle touch are required.  I first cleaned up the main frames, lubricated and installed the bearing. Next was onto the displacement piston and rod.  The 2 parts thread together and I had to clean up the mail thread for a good connection. These were then installed in the in the Cooling head. Next the crank shaft was dealt with.  It came assembled with the drive wheel installed, would not have been possible to slide that through the bearing.  I took the crank apart and at the same time installed the short connecting rod to the displacement connecting rod.  The kit comes with a jig to install the pin,it is very small. Next, the rocker arm bearings, shaft and spacers were put together and installed on the mainframe (right side)  along with the cooling cylinder. Then the left frame was installed.  At this point everything is moving freely, very important on a small engine like this.  This is a very well built kit

DSCF0263.JPG

DSCF0254.JPG

DSCF0255.JPG

DSCF0259.JPG

DSCF0262.JPG

The first photo is the Working piston,short connecting rod, and the installation jig with the pin in it. The pin is chamfered on one end, as is the connecting rod. After this was complete it was Just a matter of installing brass bushings in the connecting rods and screwing them to the rocker arm.  It was then secured to the provided base.  Off to the drug store later to get some alcohol so a test run can be done.  After the first rest run is complete, the working piston is removed and a very thin layer of white ceramic grease applied.

DSCF0265.JPG

DSCF0266.JPG

DSCF0268.JPG

DSCF0269.JPG

DSCF0271.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

That’s a beautiful little machine, an absolute delight.
Some years ago I manufactured fancy widgets for a company using Sterling technology. They had a sterling compressor in their works reception area that had been running non stop for almost 30 years at my last visit. The technology definitely works!

All the Böhm collection look like very interesting stand alone pieces.

Thank you

Paul