S-100 by Javlin - FINISHED - Revell - 1/72 - PLASTIC - Schnellboot

I am building this up on a sister site for a GB and finally starting to move along some.I am adding the Quad to the back moved the 37mm to the center position and a single 20mm up front.The kit did not supply the mines for the racks out back so I will making those with the boxes.I would say that I am about 50% complete ATTM.The cabin is just laid in place for fitting/checking issue looks to be good to go I intend to gloss some things in the area of the cabin esp. Torpedo tubes and wash/highlight.

If you are interested in looking : https://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/18831-revell-s-100-schnellboat-172/

S-100 001.JPG

S-100 002.JPG

Thanks for the likes and interest fellas a little more today.I installed railing on the back deck,built trunnion for Quad,installed PE above tubes and started adding the mags for the 20mm up front.I am basically working inside out like most builds even planes.I keep finding more I can do more with the Quad using some of Eduards PE :dontknow: We'll see.I definitely adding the Eduard PE mags they fit better than the kits and I have a few more than the kit supplied.I noticed tonight I have to make some 37mm rounds 4/5 would look good stacked in the gun.;)

S-100 001.JPG

S-100 002.JPG

S-100 003.JPG

S-100 004.JPG

I now have the mines complete and glued to the deck what you see here is about 3hrs of work it was just tough finding the time of late ........Life.I got the chain for the stern(looks perfect to scale) of the boat on craft with mines=chain and depth charges =rope . I ust got to blacken the chain probably get Russ down the street since my gun stuff is old.This boat looks to be loaded out to whup ***.;)

S-100 001.JPG

S-100 002.JPG

Edited by Javlin

Hi Javlin, I just found your log.

You built a nice model. But, if I may, it is historical not correct. The S-100 never had a 2cm Vierling and a 3.7 cm cannon on board,plus 6 mines. That would have been too heavy for the boat that size. They even wouldn’t have enough room for the service staff to accommodate them. A 2 cm Vierling needed 10 men, a 3,7 cm 3 men. 
I agree it is tempting to build it with all the weapons. Heck I even built one with a 2 cm Vierling, although I left the twin 2cm cannon in the waist location.

The layouts below are out of “Die Deutschen Schnellboote 1914-1945” by Harald Fock. The layout with the Vierling has a 30 mm cannon in the bow. But that cannon didn’t see service, as far as I know.

You might have this book already: S-Boote, German E-boats in action 1939-1945, by Jean-Philippe Dallies-Labourdette.

With many good photos and in English. 😁

6A1FD205-EE68-4342-B023-E8D1EEC870EC.jpeg

4F5254F5-8FEE-4F9C-9954-19C26DFDFB2D.jpeg

Edited by Hsae

6 hours ago, Hsae said:

The S-100 never had a 2cm Vierling and a 3.7 cm cannon on board,plus 6 mines. That would have been too heavy for the boat that size.

I know about the gun layout "it's my boat":D as to the mines I was dubious to add the other two seeing the book also showed four I will pry off two "the quad stays and the 37mm captain":DThanks for the input.;)

If I do Hsae decide to go historical it will be a tough decision.;)

Edited by Javlin

31 minutes ago, Hsae said:

I found a some nice pictures where the load mines …

Just for your information, they could carry up to 6 EMC mines.

Thanks Hase for the info the book I got I would not really recommend seems to deal with one ship in a particular time frame.I could not go with Revells stanchions and made my own with .030" plastic rod and brass heads.;)

S-100 001.JPG

1 hour ago, Hsae said:

How did you deal with the lower part? Drill a hole in the stanchion?

The PE kit has you remove the plastic off the deck then I went back with a drill bit and cleaned a little bit more out.I have some some .012" guitar string I am going to use upstairs and the LOwer now i understand!IIt looks according to my references it lays outside with metal over the top that is still in planning could just be water based glue once tacked in play and painted.:hsmack:

Can you tell I am on Holiday?I keep pressing this one forward .I have added more to the bow section still need to add rails,anchor gaff pole.The Kalotte still needs bit and pieces to finish it out reason for no Future there yet.The bridge is done except for antennas and life rings.I start tomorrow with highlights and weathering wish me luck.The S-100's had more metal and heavier than the S-38's so rust but I am thinking a greenish grey for vertical streaks to the hull like algae and maybe the occasional oil? Hase you have any good side pics of weathering?Much obliged if you do.Kevin;)

S-100 001.JPG

S-100 002.JPG

S-100 003.JPG

1 hour ago, Hsae said:

My advice, do not overdo it with weathering. Model looks good!

PM sent

Hermann

Thanks Herman  I am not a heavy weathering guy mainly highlights some weathering around torpedo tubes bollards mine racks.Thanks for the pics these boats took a beating.;)

Edited by Javlin

I am not through with the weathering still got the sides of the hull to go.I do not have much more to add to the fore deck mainly just the anchor which I plan to repaint probably black/gray.I went what I thought was light on the rust using a rubber paint brush Nice and Pointy.I just had to start on the railings lesson learned glue in play bottom rung first and attach carefully the bottom wire gets the alignment done straight every thing else falls into place.;)

PS: going light on the weathering a boat maybe 6/12 months more like 6 in service.;)

S-100 003.JPG

S-100 004.JPG

S-100 005.JPG

S-100 006.JPG

S-100 007.JPG

I say maybe 2/4hrs left on this one.I have added angle braces to the starboard side to three stanchions,added chain to the stern and added chain to port.I still have three angle braces for port,flat coat,glass for Kalotte,anchor and rigging.The final stage will be the hull weathering and another flat it will be light.;)

S-100 001.JPG

S-100 002.JPG

S-100 003.JPG

S-100 004.JPG

• 2 months later...

Nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me