Pirate ship from Asterix and the Great Crossing by O.B.one - FINISHED - no scale - BOTTLE - the moment before Asterix and Obelix board to spoil the captain's birthday - 3d printed - Fictional

Visiting my younger brother over December,  he had an empty bottle of Hennessy Cognac that he refuse to throw away for some reason. His wife wants it out. So I snuck it out without their knowledge😈

I've wondered what would be a good ship as a gift for him, but he's not into it at all. He likes fantasy Viking stuff so for a while I was considering that. Didn't feel right, Vikings in a French bottle. I wanted to keep the label on. Then it hit me, we both loved Asterix growing up. 

Hard choice which one to choose, in the end I settled on The Great Crossing. We'll see how it comes out....

I'll apply all the lessons learned from the Schooner Wyoming build. Photos in the morning, some minor progress.

Current build 

HMB Endeavour SIB (Documenting on msw) slow going

Completed builds:

Hannah by Amati SIB

Generic 2 mast schooner SIB

Wyoming 6 mast schooner SIB (Documented on msw) 

Pirate ship from Asterix and the Great Crossing SIB (Documented on msw)

Shelfed for now

Ineos Britannia SIB (Documenting on msw)

Cartoon ships are perhaps more forgiving, but they look odd and disproportional. Supposed to look funny. Problem is making it into a 3d shape that'll resemble it. For the first time I realized how animators of modern 3d movies must struggle with this. Luckily it'll be hidden in a bottle. So if some display ship builders ever wonder why on earth would you stuff your model into a bottle, it's to hide the imperfections 😛

This is the scene that I hope to reproduceScreenshot2023-01-16213044.jpg.5e1b53fea14fbff1ae96ebc383db598c.jpg

And this was the two building up to it

Screenshot2023-01-16212902.jpg.22e588e1fbbff4504d439448fd0a7732.jpg

Screenshot2023-01-16213005.jpg.e1c4e3d0cdc6c22b9a909583a9b71976.jpg

I have drafted the pirate ship in Onshape again, along with a wee fishing boat: 
Screenshotfisingboat.thumb.jpg.b6098bdfc8bd29f402d4b7182034943b.jpgScreenshotpirateshipassembly.thumb.jpg.b6c4e9a3eb9c6af52da259d2f81fc5c7.jpg

Current build 

Completed builds:

Hannah by Amati SIB

Shelfed for now

The STL's were exported. The pirate ship was sliced in Onshape, but the assembly of the fishing boat was digitally assembled in Meshmixer. I was able to find two models of Asterix and Obelix for free. Obelix actually had his hands on his hips, but I was able to slice and reorientate it. The two characters were orientated relative to the boat. Asterix in the bow, Obelix pretending to be an outboard motor. I printed it twice, just in case. One upside down the other right way up: 

Screenshotmehmixerfishingboat.thumb.jpg.c1958d4835586d0ee1d29203b007202f.jpg_MG_4693.thumb.JPG.9b3640fc503ce2548431081e501c1c9d.JPG

Current build 

Completed builds:

Hannah by Amati SIB

Shelfed for now

No less than 4 parts for the pirate ship. Keel, Starboard, Port, and the figure head on the bow: 

_MG_4696.thumb.JPG.2ad444ec2b213f8bd6f8a1dffc505a5e.JPG

Current build 

Completed builds:

Hannah by Amati SIB

Shelfed for now

Struggling to find an .stl of figures vaguely resembling the characters on the pirate ship. The captain, his legless first mate, and the Numidian lookout. I'll have to come up with something creative there 

Current build 

Completed builds:

Hannah by Amati SIB

Shelfed for now

Just found your build log for this.  I'm on board to watch another interesting project!  Do you have a pic of the bottle this will reside in?

Sure thing16789571589086423584872634084245.thumb.jpg.c4ccae43058cf1a695d50de54a90f877.jpg

Still deciding on horizontal vs vertical. I prefer vertical, that way it can be put with his other not-so-empty bottles whatever alcohol. That should be a nice laugh for whomever of his mates are helping themselves. 

Current build 

Completed builds:

Hannah by Amati SIB

Shelfed for now

@Auger I'll leave that to him. The front label wanted to peel off, so I quickly did 2x coats modge podge. The hull and fishing boat is primed. Awaiting some paint. 

I'll have to get over my dislike of paint if I want to make this one look good....

Current build 

Completed builds:

Hannah by Amati SIB

Shelfed for now

Again, great idea. I discovered Asterix upon moving to France. I love the comic, especially the Corsica volume after visiting Corsica a few times. 

Completed Builds: AL Bounty Jolly Boat, Constructo Enterprise (logs lost in the great crash)

Current Builds: Constructo Bounty, AL King of the Mississippi

Up next: undetermined 

On 3/18/2023 at 3:08 AM, Auger said:

Again, great idea. I discovered Asterix upon moving to France. I love the comic, especially the Corsica volume after visiting Corsica a few times. 

Ah. Bonnywasawarriorwayayix 😄👍

Current build 

Completed builds:

Hannah by Amati SIB

Shelfed for now

Some progress. Can't do models if you dislike painting. So I left my dislike of any kind of paint job outside, and knuckled down. Aided by my 2.5x magnification loupes from work, it looks better than without magnification. Or at least the errors are less obvious. Not quite done and some touching up needed. But overall happy. The purple plastic things on the left are microbrushes used for fillings. It should be freely available on aliexpress. "Dental Microbrush" should get you a hit, if anyone is interested

20230323_191241.jpg

Edited by O.B.one

Current build 

Completed builds:

Hannah by Amati SIB

Shelfed for now

It'll work well I think. Still have to do a sail for the wee boat16797273991954492340418230320844.thumb.jpg.42a0979d54413637914733ec8bf407b3.jpg

Not sure what to do with the oars. Omitting them will be easiest. But I don't really want to.but with them it'll be too wide for the neck. That'll mean fitting 10x oars in the bottle....

Current build 

Completed builds:

Hannah by Amati SIB

Shelfed for now

The paint job looks great!

Regarding the oars, looks like you've already got a split hull.  Can you add the oars outside the bottle, insert each half of the hull, and then fit the halves together inside the bottle?  That's what I had to do with my Captain Kidd Adventure Galley for the same reason. 

20221205_192437.jpg

On 3/25/2023 at 11:43 PM, Glen McGuire said:

The paint job looks great!

Regarding the oars, looks like you've already got a split hull.  Can you add the oars outside the bottle, insert each half of the hull, and then fit the halves together inside the bottle?  That's what I had to do with my Captain Kidd Adventure Galley for the same reason. 

20221205_192437.jpg

I watched that video of yours a fe times thanks. The oars on the picture looks long, i might just shorten mine a bit...

Current build 

Completed builds:

Hannah by Amati SIB

Shelfed for now

But before I get there, another complication. I ordered Alumilite urethane resin for this one on the basis that it was sold by the same place that stocked the paint I was after. Urethane resin whatever that means. Mixed according to manufacturer instructions. Slow pour. I even fitted a tube to suck the air out to facilitate bubble removal as per Alumilite's YouTube video.  Just look at this crap results:1680336547989785931490385413665.thumb.jpg.38a8e515d093bec9b67116d699429629.jpg

I would not recommend it at all. My previous resin was excellent in comparison. This is really frustrating, I have to find another bottle of Hennessy. I don't drink Cognac.

Why does my SIB project always lead to me buying more booze. It's not a bad problem to have, but a problem nonetheless. 

Current build 

Completed builds:

Hannah by Amati SIB

Shelfed for now

Minor setback. Keep at it, you’re really creating something unique.

Buy a bottle, pour it into another, good to go! Share it with others upon completion.

Or, visit a local bar and ask them to save an empty bottle for you.

Cheers!

Edited by Auger

Completed Builds: AL Bounty Jolly Boat, Constructo Enterprise (logs lost in the great crash)

On 4/4/2023 at 6:56 AM, Auger said:

Minor setback. Keep at it, you’re really creating something unique.

Buy a bottle, pour it into another, good to go! Share it with others upon completion.

Or, visit a local bar and ask them to save an empty bottle for you.

Cheers!

What can I say. If it's worth doing, do it well😄16809835178521418995027139938237.thumb.jpg.3267358a496873ffbe35a2fecbab729b.jpg

This is a partition wall between the living room area and kitchen. You can guess where all the projects are going. That's why I'll be very pedantic about the water. Not just for this project. 

That beeing said. I'm not going to bin the flop, I'll put something else in it. Not sure what, perhaps a diorama of a sea creature attacking a ship. Take inspiration from the @Glen McGuire kraken. Well see...

Current build 

Completed builds:

Hannah by Amati SIB

Shelfed for now

1 hour ago, O.B.one said:

I'm not going to bin the flop

The Aussie and Canadian contingents on MSW are always teaching this non-worldy Texan terms they use.  Is "bin the flop" a New Zealand expression?  Never heard that one before!  😃

1 hour ago, Glen McGuire said:

The Aussie and Canadian contingents on MSW are always teaching this non-worldy Texan terms they use.  Is "bin the flop" a New Zealand expression?  Never heard that one before!  😃

Ummm no not really. I'm originally from South Africa, English is my second language. Binning something I think is an expression from the U.K. They seem to like turning objectives into verbs. So you end up binning rubbish, food scraps or like your wife does with your favourite old T shirt. Or in my case the flop. 

Current build 

Completed builds:

Hannah by Amati SIB

Shelfed for now

Now I get it!  Like tossing something in the trash bin.   

BTW, very cool area to display your work!  I think a sea monster attacking a ship would be a great addition to the partition!

Edited by Glen McGuire

• 2 weeks later...

New resin poured in new bottle. Turned out brilliant blue. I think @Augers idea of removing the back label has to happen. It is in the way, plus that label differs from the original. 

20230418_222223.thumb.jpg.45e3aadd7121088cca6a3a358a5ba523.jpg

Keel and bottom of pirate hull in, amd embedded. Next the startboard and port pieces. I've decided on flattened copper wire for oars. Flexible, so I can bend it to fit. Hope it works.

My 9 year old girl also want to do a SIB, she wants to put a scale model of her Lego Friends rescue boat in an upright bottle, complete with sea sand at the bottom plus some seaweeds etc. So that'll hopefully be a nice dad daughter project for us. Looking for some Balsa for her to try her hand at carving.

Current build 

Completed builds:

Hannah by Amati SIB

Shelfed for now

From the photo I think the color is alright. When I was out in the Pacific somewhere really deep, looking down into the water, I could see the sun rays going down for what seemed to be forever. The water almost looked electric blue, I’ll never forget that. Nor the sparrow that came out of nowhere and landed on the railing next to me one day. I dared not move as to not disturb it’s rest. It saw me but we kept our distances and it flew away after a good 5 to 10 minutes. God only knows where it had come from.

Edited by Auger

I doubt the two young one's projects deserves threads of their own. Yes indeed, two of them. My 6 year old also wa ted in on the  action. So I'll just sneak a few pics in along this one. 

Hull halves in, i now have them aligned. Ready for an adhesive, but I think I'll be getting some slower set epoxy this time20230425_145101.thumb.jpg.379ec9987668df8159ff215fe1b1f77e.jpg

The eldest has her SIB based on this Lego rescue boat, some kind of yacth

20230422_171759.thumb.jpg.dc1f18368a09cf1aa34a51bb247e59fc.jpg

Balsa is easy for them on a block of sanding paper. They also like playing with the sawdust20230425_145122.thumb.jpg.4ace34c0c0e8cd72fd486b7bc36dc766.jpg

My 6 year old has an idea of a biblical era fishing boat, and of course it was pink and turquoise 20230425_145114.thumb.jpg.dbc4e06a5bc26e478d0a0e4b411bd196.jpg

We'll have some small fishes made of playdough in a hair net suspended in the ocean beneath it...

Current build 

Completed builds:

Hannah by Amati SIB

Shelfed for now

These are the 2 coolest projects ever!!!  Please keep us updated with more pics of their work.

And I checked my bible.  Sure enough, all the fishing boats were indeed turquoise and pink!  😃

• 2 weeks later...

Both the pirate ship and fishing boat is in.20230509_214531.thumb.jpg.708d4a0c5e9478f9df7f1c3bdeba09d4.jpg20230509_214525.thumb.jpg.a7937436f47bb7a7552e07115c3b6925.jpg

Still have to add about 2mm of blue resin, then the waves. I had to tie some knots inside the bottle, not doing that again.

I could not find figures resembling the pirates. Still looking, but I'm thinking of omitting those. I'm running out of time, friends are taking it back to South Africa from New Zealand. I only have a couple of weeks. 

As for the lego rescue boat, hard at work sanding

20230507_102610.thumb.jpg.700d812836839e798b5a8b48fdc63ba7.jpg

The fishing expedition has some small fishes made of Playdoh. The fishing net is a torn hair net from ballet. Decorative pebbles for the bottom of the lake, fishnet and pebbles to be submerged in resin.

20230507_113524.thumb.jpg.aec4e3815bf9970065183824bca959b7.jpg

Edited by O.B.one

Current build 

Completed builds:

Hannah by Amati SIB

Shelfed for now