making ships cannons without a wood lathe

On 4/17/2023 at 7:45 PM, Gregory said:

I'll try to find a method by one of our members who used rolled up paper.  They looked as good as any I have seen..

In addition to Doris' famous card models, I remember George Bandurek's guns on his Sherbourne were made of paper. I have a feeling George's build was lost in the first MSW crash some years ago, but he wrote a book about it, and in that post he has a pdf download on how he made the paper cannon.

Tony

On 4/17/2023 at 6:05 PM, Benjamin sullivan said:

that is not something I would have thought ,of it will be interesting to see what that looks like.

Greetings,

Ask and ye shall see! <Grin> Here are some photos of construction and final carrnoades for my 1:200 scale model of Lawrence/Niagara.

Anchor's A Weigh!

John Fox III

Niagara 1-200 065.jpg

Niagara1-200095.jpg.4fd9596a57b75f18bb36bd8fc60651e5.jpg

Niagara 1-200 074.jpg

Edited by John Fox III

Hi Benjamin,

At fifteen years old you may very well be our youngest ship modeler at MSW.  Congratulations!

I realize all this might becoming a jigsaw puzzle of sorts for you.  Just take a step or two at a time and it will all come together.

Let us know what size you decide to go with and I will send you the appropriate 3D drawings if I have them for the sizes you need. 

It may be easy to confirm the scale if you can let us know what the size of the paper plan is?  If it is 1:70 scale I am guessing they are about 36" X 24"

Allan 

Essex1799.jpg.d5c28a6253074e3571ee67a022530033.jpg

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Those two stern chase ports (at least) should be unfilled, or use the guns from the aftmost broadside QD port. Guns would not be supplied to both in general, especially when so cramped - both couldn't recoil without contact and/or serious risk to guns crew.

I also question the number of QD/FC ordnance in general - my notes indicate only 10 6pdrs as built (all on QD?), 16 24pdr carronades as refitted following her first cruise, and 20 total once refitted in 1810 with her final 32pdr carronade establishment (though 4 of them are then the 12pdr guns, with another 2 of these also on the upper deck (main battery deck))

2 hours ago, allanyed said:

Hi Benjamin,

At fifteen years old you may very well be our youngest ship modeler at MSW.  Congratulations!

I realize might becoming a jigsaw puzzle of sorts for you.  Just take a step or two at a time and it will all come together.

Let us know what size you decide to go with and I will send you the appropriate 3D drawings if I have them for the sizes you need. 

It may be easy to confirm the scale if you can let us know what the size of the paper plan is?  If it is 1:70 scale I am guessing they are about 36" X 24"

Allan 

Essex1799.jpg.d5c28a6253074e3571ee67a022530033.jpg

thank you...the plans appear to be 25" by 17 1/2". To get that size I basiclly looked at mesurements on the plans and kept making them bigger intel a 3in long thing on the plans was 3 in then I glued like 16 pages together. The type of cannon I like the most are the like the ones on the plans, so the size of cannon I will  go with is 25mm long as it will also should be to size with the plans.

Edited by Benjamin sullivan

35 minutes ago, Lieste said:

Those two stern chase ports (at least) should be unfilled, or use the guns from the aftmost broadside QD port. Guns would not be supplied to both in general, especially when so cramped - both couldn't recoil without contact and/or serious risk to guns crew.

I also question the number of QD/FC ordnance in general - my notes indicate only 10 6pdrs as built (all on QD?), 16 24pdr carronades as refitted following her first cruise, and 20 total once refitted in 1810 with her final 32pdr carronade establishment (though 4 of them are then the 12pdr guns, with another 2 of these also on the upper deck (main battery deck))

I agree with you on those last two they seem pretty haserdise, so yea I might not add them.

3 hours ago, Benjamin sullivan said:

25" by 17 1/2".

If that is the case, the plans appear to be scaled at 1" = 100"    A 1" long gun would be just short of a 8' 6" barrel.  I am PM'g you 3D drawings of 9 and 18 pounder guns in that length that you can use to get these 3D printed in black resin.   Let me know if you need contact information on a printer or you can give them to a printer close to your home to discuss.   These will be FULL size drawings so you need to tell your printer you want them scaled down to 1:100.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

3 minutes ago, allanyed said:

If that is the case, the plans appear to be scaled at 1" = 100"    A 1" long gun would be just short of a 8' 5" barrel.  I am PM'g you 3D drawings of 9 and 18 pounder guns in that length that you can use to get these 3D printed in black resin.   Let me know if you need contact information on a printer or you can give them to a printer close to your home to discuss.   These will be FULL size drawings so you need to tell your printer you want them scaled down to 1:100.

Allan

thanks, that would be bad if I got them all at full size cannons.

10 hours ago, Benjamin sullivan said:

thanks, that would be bad if I got them all at full size cannons.

But it would be fun to mount them around the house with the barrels out the windows.    I'll get my coat....  coat_32.png.26e5f3a843bb533dd642456a1280b361.png

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Benjamin's carronades look good and the black paper makes it easy to get the colour right. I used this technique on Sherbourne many years ago to make 3lb cannons but with pink paper. The choice of colour was set by wanting to use the thinnest paper that I had available so that the steps in the rolling process would be small. The photo shows the build sequence with tapered pieces of paper. The spike at the muzzle end is for the greater diameter at the muzzle. 

barreltwist.thumb.JPG.fb13ba4d8121560b7efde16882a74e4b.JPG

breechingropeoncannon.thumb.JPG.0cd33220d5907513b6e6a88f7420ba5d.JPG

I also made swivels that are a lot slimmer than the kit parts. 

swivelgun.thumb.JPG.f2d1eb7fef08081010f7dd995ba074b6.JPG

Tony (tkay11) mentions my book about Sherbourne where I describe this technique. (Thanks Tony). There is a pdf of the relevant chapter on another thread https://modelshipworld.com/topic/4335-super-detailing-the-cutter-sherbourne-by-george-bandurek/?do=findComment&comment=124292 or you can download it here Cannon.pdf

A big advantage of wrapping paper around a tube is that the cost is very low but it does take time to make a barrel. 

George

George Bandurek

Near the coast in Sussex, England

Current build: HMS Whiting (Caldercraft Ballahoo with enhancements)

Previous builds: Cutter Sherbourne (Caldercraft) and many non-ship models