Barncave Shipyard by mbp521 - Scale 1:1

Brian we have a local mill shop of sorts stocks some exotic woods and those of the area which are semi-rough cut 4/4 and 8/4 and I finish the planing.You may look around for a place like that if it suits ya that cedar runs under $4 a b/f in my neck of the woods.I really like your shop wish I had a concrete floor but was working to keep those pesky inspectors away after Katrina she's endure a few more storms.;)

Keep up the excellent work!!Kevin

• 1 month later...

Howdy everyone, 

I know it has been a while since I last updated this log, This has been one busy summer and I have hardly had time to work on any personal projects. Most of the last few months have been spent helping my daughter and son-in-law get their house finished, most of the stuff they didn't want to contract out like running the 900' water line, fencing, dirt work, tree clearing and other odds and ends. However with the bulk of the work done I finally found some time focus on my projects and get some work done on the shipyard.

I am not real sure what day I left off on so I will just post some of the things that I have accomplished.

First, I took ,my adjustable work bench and scaled sown the top a bit to fit in the room. The length had to be cut down to 5' from 6' and I squared off the front to make it more uniform.

080.JPG.b1d4e52f4a3974b0cc3cc7dd5e0c1208.JPG

I took the old gray, dinged up bottom and gave it a fresh coat of flat black, to fit my color scheme of the room a little better.

081.JPG.9ffa31c32b4eab9a94038ba96f0408a0.JPG

Next, I wanted to dress off the edges of the top, so I purchased some vinyl trim to protect the edges, routed the groove and installed the edging. 

082.JPG.dbc3cb94fdab461989bc2c8b67b7e84a.JPG

083.JPG.d10167a324f922c4ee812875f7381808.JPG

The final product, I am completely satisfied with.

084.JPG.f88ca3d469f8c2f50cf4b892942ee2a5.JPG

085.JPG.d6f671e39721374092d57f81b85c6778.JPG

Then it was on to building the shelves for my reloading bench to help organize some of the clutter. I didn't take any pictures of the building process, but this is the finished results.

086.JPG.dd6657c432f1b326ead17e24f90c1e8f.JPG

Next, I wanted to have a place that I could use to clean my guns, or work on them, or other tasks, but didn't want to take up more space, so I decide to build a Murphy Desk. Some thing that would fold up out of the way, but could be setup quickly if I needed the extra counter space. Again, I failed to take pictures of the build, but this is what I came up with.

087.JPG.8025442c44f82dd9a14d2abb8a860f9b.JPG

088.JPG.23f5157342e30e3234ab970274b2da2b.JPG

Finally, needed a place to store all of my wood strips that wouldn't take up valuable counter top space. Some place out of the way, but with easy access. I decided that a small shelf under my storage area was the perfect place. I just purchased some inexpensive drawer dividers, turned them on their side and glued them into place on the shelf. Now I can keep them nice and organized and out of the way, and all I have to do is a 180 from the workbench and grab what I need.

089.JPG.ef9438451483dbb87b59f5750f77a83a.JPG

I've started work on the book/display case. So far I have managed to get the main framework of it built, I just need to cut and install the facing and trim, then paint it all up. I plan on running lights to the display area, where my Chaperon proudly sits temporarily and I will also install a glass panel on the front to help keep the dust off of her.

090.JPG.d01f0fcfa05d8b9906a3649363d7866d.JPG

More to come soon. The brutal Texas summer has finally started to subside and the weather is getting a bit more tolerable to work out in the barn.

Thanks again for stopping by, and I hope to not wait so long between updates. I'm really ready to be done with this project and get back to the Caroline. Her hull has been sitting on the workbench, neglected and untouched for way too long.

-Brian

Edited by mbp521

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

1 hour ago, yvesvidal said:

Chaperon is in place, but you will need to protect it from the dust.

Thank you Yves! She’ll have a proper, dust free place once I get the bookcase completed. I just wanted to make sure she’d fit and at a good viewing angle so thats the reason for her sitting there right now. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Brian, what a neat neat shop you've built. It couldn't be any better. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again everyone, 

Well once again I failed at taking progress photos of my work, I guess the anxiousness of me wrapping this project up got the better of me. The weather has finally cooled down, so more attention needs to be focused on other projects and to be honest, I am really ready to sit down at my new bench and start making some sawdust. The past couple of months that I have actually been doing “work” work in my new room has found me staring at the incomplete hull of my Caroline towboat, just chomping at the bit to get back to work on her. So for now, I am calling this project done. The bookcase is finished and my nicknack shelves are done, the only thing that remains is the lighting and glass for my Chaperon, but I’m putting that off for the time being. For now this will have to do.

The finished results of my bookcase and all my junk to fill its shelves. Still have more to move in, just haven’t found all the boxes with the rest of my books. 
IMG_2051.thumb.jpeg.ada460d16e138e42cbf70624d2988bb6.jpeg

Thanks for following along. For now I am leaving this build open for some final shots once I get the Chaperone properly displayed. But for now, I’m calling it good. 

-Brian

Edited by mbp521

Brian, that looks great. Since the Chaperon takes up most of the shelf space it sits in, wouldn't it make some sense to just let the shelf space act as a case and front it with a piece of plexiglass? 

It does look fantastic.   I was going to suggest the same thing as Keith but he got here first.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looks wonderful! Gotta say I'm curious about some of the curios, like the baseballs (huge baseball fan and I have a few special ones of my own). I also dig the armadillo.

Very much looking forward to the resumption of your towboat. My own project is on hold for probably a few more weeks at least and hopefully you can beat me to it. 

1 hour ago, Keith Black said:

Since the Chaperon takes up most of the shelf space it sits in, wouldn't it make some sense to just let the shelf space act as a case and front it with a piece of plexiglass? 

Keith/Mark, that is exactly what I plan to do. I am going to run some LED lights to illuminate the model and enclose it with a pane of plexiglass. A lot cheaper and easier thank building a dedicated display case. 

19 minutes ago, Cathead said:

Gotta say I'm curious about some of the curios, like the baseballs (huge baseball fan and I have a few special ones of my own). I also dig the armadillo.

Eric, the baseballs are a couple that I had autographed, one by Nolan Ryan and the other by Tony Gwynn Sr. As for the armadillo, I got that thing for Christmas when I was around 10 years old (45 years ago). Needless to say it has a few miles on it, but since I’ve had it for so long, I find it hard to part with. One of my grandsons has laid claim to it when I’m gone. 

-Brian