LADY NELSON by Grateful Little Phish - Amati/Victory Models - 1:64

All,

My model showed up two days early, and I felt like Ralphie's dad when the leg lamp showed up. Needless to say it was exciting, so, thanks to the support and motivation of others who have produced some beautiful HM Cutters on this site, here's the start to my first build log and what I imagine will be a great learning curve. May not have time to get deep today, and that's okay! Still waiting on some supplies. ️ 

Anchors Aweigh,

Chris

20230708_145551.jpg

20230708_151720.jpg

20230708_151725.jpg

20230708_151731.jpg

Well, the lady on ebay was very sweet and gave me a refund immediately...I really don't think she knew. 

Can't do much without the bulkheads, keel and deck! Seems like someone started the build and quit...she's sending me another od the same kit at no cost. Maybe I can Frankenstein the two together. I think I'll find a new kit online to he safe. Can't make this stuff up. 

20230708_223703.jpg

20230708_223657.jpg

What a rip off! A sad start to getting into wooden ship modelling but, I must say, that as long us the maker and designer is still in business, buy it directly from them. It helps their business and that gives us more of their developments and kits by them. It might cost more but you get the back-up and support when you get stuck, when things are missing or even when you make a mistake. Chris Watton is an exemplar of this support.

A harsh first landing for you and a shame.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

2 hours ago, chris watton said:

That is a shame, the perils of eBay purchases! 

Chris, 

It probably pains you to see it, I'm sure, haha! There are multiple silver linings. The lady is a new seller and she must have bought a lot of kits, two of which were lady nelsons, the other she is sending me free of charge after refunding me immediately, which does have the keel and bulkheads. Even if it's incomplete in some other small way, it gives me a somewhat carefree practice kit for my first kit that I can tinker with and study. I gave her good feedback since she handled the situation very professionally and I figured the lesson learned was beneficial to her: if you're going to sell model kits to a detail-oriented community, make sure they're complete if you're listing them as NEW! 

I was on the Vanguard site last night, but didn't see too many beginner/intermediate kits at my level, and I am definitely not going to get something out of league to start with. Hopefully I can work my way up to one in the future 👍

Cheers,

Chris

Chris has some great kits for beginners. I suspect alert would actually be easier than the lady nelson due to the higher quality materials in it. I believe he also has another cutter he is releasing soon which looks like a great starter kit. Then finally he has a whole bunch of fishing boats if you are looking for something smaller.

9 hours ago, aliluke said:

What a rip off!

Hard to call it a rip off when the seller refunded and is shipping another kit..

Appears to be an honest mistake that was quickly corrected.

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

9 hours ago, chris watton said:

I have actually designed quite a few kits in the range that are aimed primarily at the complete beginner. They cost a little more because there are more pre cut parts, and in more suitable materials.

I love the reputation and praise Vanguard has received on my posts alone, bit for some reason, battling with a kit and not getting it too easy the first go-around seems somewhat appropriate so I'm not spoiled too soon 😃 

I build a couple of Vanguard fishing boats and the Bluenose from AL, then took the plunge and bough the Duchess of Kingston, a big step but finished the hull with all the decorations, my biggest problem was with the rudder PE fiddly little things, end making my own. Will make a practice mast so I can play with those ratlines before tackling the ones on the Duchess. Those fishing boats are great for first time builders, a little more $ but well worth it. 

Usually I do not purchase anything on eBay which is still available from the original manufacturer, only get kits or parts out of production

Got a few minutes to sit down today, cut out the bkheafs and fit them to the hull. From what I can see they fit much more precisely than I've read about. The book I'm reading recommends tracing each bulkhead, folding it and using that as an indicator to get the hull properly straight. Is this common for any of you to do? Obviously important, just trying to see how you all approach this. 

Chris ️ 

20230718_183839.jpg

20230718_183936.jpg

20230718_184040.jpg