HMS Sphinx 1775 by Ronald-V - Vanguard Models - 1:64

i so wish i could plank hulls

• 3 weeks later...

Small update:

Finish line is in sight, just closed the 3rd band. One more band on both sides, and I'm done.
I thought the 3rd band would be easy, but the first 3 strakes at the stern were the hardest I've encountered. The sharp curve up was difficult. A combination of measuring, using a template and just eyeballing worked reasonably well.

Now first the garboard strake and continue working from there. Photo's are a bit crappy, when it's finished I will shoot some better pics. 

Not sanded yet

IMG_20240628_161046097.thumb.jpg.795a68a2d3dd99281abc35901470d365.jpg

IMG_20240628_161100756.thumb.jpg.0149fe8a6db4b673c9d334232d09a49d.jpg

Edited by mugje

9 hours ago, cdrusn89 said:

Very, very nice work. I wish mine looked this good unsanded.

Thanks! I hope it will look good after sanding...there is a bit of fear that when sanding, seams will appear because I have not bevelled the edges enough or something like that.

But that's a bit of insecurity from my part...we will see. I have made some mistakes with the planks fitting into the rabbet, especially at the bow. I will make later some pictures of that, so others can learn from it. (basicly I sanded the first layer too much so there is a gap between the final planking and rabbet, will fill that up with some sanding dust)

Thanks everyone for the likes! appreciate it! :) 

Edited by mugje

1 hour ago, glbarlow said:

Well done, it will look even better sanded, no worries about gaps. 

Thanks Glenn :) 

I soaked the garboard planks for a half hour in some warm water, and installed them with sufficient clamps onto the ship against the keel.

I've read in the planking PDF that it's easier to keep the garboard strake in one piece, and that sounds like a good plan. So probably will do that :) 

It's beautiful weather today here in Holland so this was a nice little job to do and I can now let it dry for 24h...good excuse to go outside! :D 

IMG_20240629_150944803.thumb.jpg.bcc73efac468a9d4fed5261ad8b25651.jpg

• The title was changed to HMS Sphinx 1775 by Ronald-M - Vanguard Models - 1:64
  • The title was changed to HMS Sphinx 1775 by Ronald-V - Vanguard Models - 1:64