mini table saw

Go to solution Solved by Bob Cleek,

On 11/9/2023 at 9:50 PM, Gregory said:

when you address all the shortcomings of the KS230

I bought a Chinese mini table saw that addressed all the things - height adjustment, replaceable plate with sturdy fence and zero insert, and bigger 3 inch blade - for $40. The only drawback is safety. 😂

By the way, I'll order a full set of the Byrnes table saw when they re-open. I'm worry about the end of their family business...

Edited by modeller_masa

1 minute ago, modeller_masa said:

I bought a Chinese mini table saw that addressed all the things - height adjustment, replaceable plate with sturdy fence and zero insert, and bigger 3 inch blade - for $40.

How has it performed under load?  What kind of load?

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Dangerous?

Any good saw is dangerous.

How well does it work?

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

@Wefalck,

the Böhler mini circular saw table is still availiable. It`s the brand that changed, only. For a couple of years the brand of former Böhler mini tools is Kaleas.

32305-2_1600x1600_600x600.png.7574ac5af4429952c93f7d05743575ac.png

https://www.kaleas.de/en/modeling-tinker/minitool/72/minitool-table-circular-saw

On ebay UK ther`s a seller who currently offers the saw for 179 GBP.

The die-cast body isn`t a beauty but it looks rock-solid.

It may make sense to buy the saw, only, if one already has a 12 V DC power supply

@ bruce d

I don`t own or use that table saw. So I`m awaiting your review.

Michael 

Lots of interesting options that look nice, but think I still want to wait on a Byrnes! 

I was just at our local ship modelers' club meeting today, and I asked around the room what the guys were using, as most of them are scratch builders, and I heard a series of "Byrnes, Byrnes, Byrnes....." responses. 👍

Edited by GGibson

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

Personally, and not to be rude, no matter how good the Byrnes saw is, I find it hard to throw down well over 800€ to ship one here.

Present saw price + overseas shipping = x€

customs filing fee + customs tax on x€ = y€

20% France VAT taxes on total (x€ + y€) = z€

Saw = x€ + y€ + z€.

Just for mental comparison, 750€ just paid for four new 215/60R17 100H Michelin 4-Season tires on my 4x4 with mounting and full 4 wheel alignment.

So I understand and research the replies here offering up other saw options, they’re people like me who search for cheaper alternatives. We all know the short answer is Byrnes is best, but some of us can’t have a Byrnes (or just don’t think it’s worth the total cost).

Edited by Auger

Completed Builds: AL Bounty Jolly Boat, Constructo Enterprise (logs lost in the great crash)

Current Builds: Constructo Bounty, AL King of the Mississippi

Up next: undetermined