Lady Nelson by Maciek - FINISHED - Amati/Victory Models - 1:64

Welcome to my first building log!

Over a year ago i started building Lady Nelson from Amati. It is my second attempt to build wooden ship. Bit late but anyway I decided to share building progress with You. Unfortunately I haven't documented early stages of construction. First photos I made below. The hull is ready and painted.

20221105_093107.thumb.jpg.091018c3e13f5c699f363282db73a894.jpg20221105_093003.thumb.jpg.7f83b573a12a20080c78bb64e2910a53.jpg20221105_092842.thumb.jpg.3b0261ab612f7c77bf40c0d55799bf8f.jpg20221105_094721.thumb.jpg.3d0f6928fd895a0340af668dcbaa000a.jpg

20221105_094634.thumb.jpg.17565d280a8628464d6022d8756dacc0.jpg

I like detail so first of them that I have made to this stage: rudder

20221108_095419.thumb.jpg.e135729cefa669e1be713b6e7ee7b478.jpg20221108_095401.thumb.jpg.5636de24561e449d4aa1f38c4c67927d.jpg20221105_094239.thumb.jpg.b84738651788205c500e2c6932175f89.jpg

Maciek

• 1 month later...

Hello,

it's time to make some sails! Unfortunately I don't have access to sewing machine so my sails are glued.

To imitate seam on sail I followed Olha Batchvarov built relation ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj8D0VNMRAE&t=958s ) that is, pulling the colored thread out of the fabric to achieve result like this

image.thumb.jpeg.81237229b373fff519af1797aa9ca9c3.jpeg

finished sail has doubel seam and glued on reinforcements on ends

image.thumb.jpeg.9b9068d2777bfc7ea830abe425a64b42.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.828f1d5ff692eb3b272e33ca629335c6.jpeg

two sails installed, and template for third is fitted. A lot of loose line everywhere at this point ;)

image.thumb.jpeg.68a6d673153bb48baed8ed78443c8a12.jpeg

Cheers

Maciek

Lovely model Maciek!

I realize it is probably a kit mistake, not yours, but for the future, small cannon (below 32 pounders) used only single blocks, not doubles on both the running out tackle and train tackle.  This is a common error with several kit manufacturers so you are not alone.    

On 12/12/2023 at 4:17 PM, Maciek said:

I don't have access to sewing machine so my sails are glued.

Nothing wrong with using glue on your sails, it actually might be a better way to go.  Sewing will never be to scale at our most common scales just as cloth is usually far out of scale.  Just as an FYI, many builders have switched silk span as it is much more realistic looking and no sewing is involved.   

Again, very nice work.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Maciek,

Allan seems to have some historical info regarding gun tackle that none of the kit makers have, or they choose to ignore it.  So, 99% of the builds you see here will have the double/single  configuration you have used.

Many of the highly credentialed  Anatomy of the Ship authors also go with the double/single rig without regard to gun size.

You have a very nice model, and your gun tackle looks really good.

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

On 12/14/2023 at 8:02 AM, Gregory said:

Allan seems to have some historical info regarding gun tackle that none of the kit makers have

Hi Gregory, 

I am taking your comment in good spirit.😀   I merely passed on what I found in historian Adrian Caruana's book on English Sea Ordnance volume II, page 386.  His CV is most impressive and he was considered the leading authority in the world on English ordnance.  It might just be that some others did not do the research.  While Caruana states guns less than 32 pounders used pairs of single sheave blocks, I am sure there were exceptions for other large guns such as the 24's on any given ship.  In the end nothing is gospel in this hobby of ours but I would rely on the likes of Caruana before the majority of kit makers or others that perhaps have less expertise in this area. 

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Amati didn't provide any gun tackle plans, so I took them form 'Anatomy of the Ship - The Naval Cutter Alert 1777' due to both ship are the same class and period. 

On 12/14/2023 at 1:05 PM, allanyed said:

used only single blocks, not doubles on both the running out tackle and train tackle.

Maybe it's not clearly visible in previous photos but blocks configuration is single and double.

20231216_225632.thumb.jpg.e06e6fbf6372509cd817f42b0beda5e4.jpg

Thank you! I will remember this for future projects :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dear All, I need some advice. 

I'm at the stage of mounting the yard and sails. I would like to mount squer sails as if they were catching side wind. something like that

20240129_212851.thumb.jpg.8dda207ad4732e000cc031500390ba44.jpg

but, when i try to position the lowest yard it colides with shrouds.

image.thumb.jpeg.4303ea4a71dd73ce7178ec55c70e5084.jpeg

I couldent find any good picture how it works in real. Any ideas?

A really nice looking cutter you have built there! :imNotWorthy:

I would be very interested to see what people say about yards fouling standing rigging and shrouds!  I'm also building a cutter and like you want to add sails but not have the yards/sails perpendicular to the keel, partly for looks and partly for a narrower model so it can fit in a smaller display box and shelf!  I have looked at several model, including contemporary ones and the topmast and main shrouds appear to foul the yards if they are rotated by even a small amount.  hope one of MSW resident gurus can help.

Edited by AJohnson

34 minutes ago, Maciek said:

but, when i try to position the lowest yard it colides with shrouds.

Are you talking about the forestays, or the need to run some of the running rigging through the ratlines/shrouds?

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

48 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Are you talking about the forestays, or the need to run some of the running rigging through the ratlines/shrouds?

I am talking about forestays. As You can see on the picture above, forestay blocks rotation angle of the yard. I think i shoulden't deform forestays by increasind tention on yard. Mayby i need to move yard foreward away from the mast?

The cannon drawings look great.  Just noticed that you have the George II cypher on the cannon for Endeavour.  I may be wrong but as Endeavour was launched in 1764, wouldn't the cypher be for George III?     Armstrong Frederick STL drawings may be getting posted in the near future with the George III cypher in the following:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34442-3d-printing-cannons-in-resin/

There were recent discussions on the trucks having been made of single pieces so there were no bolts in them. There were many exceptions in ships so maybe some carpenter made truck assemblies rather than from single cylinders.  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34538-gun-carriage-questions/page/3/   Posts #66 and after.  

Allan

Edited by allanyed

Thank You Allan,

I think You right :) When modeling the emblem I took picture from book 'anatomy of the ship - alert' because it was more precise for me to model on it than the one for endavours book. I didn't realise that the small ornament on the left was in fact a number 2. I compared it with drwaings for endavour and  this ornament looks like like 3 there. If I decide to print it some changes will be made ;). Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Congratulations   very nice work    :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati