What do you do with your unusable rigging line?

In several kit build logs and model reviews, I've read how awful some of the kit-supplied rigging line is. And, I'm thankful we have companies here that provide excellent quality rigging line to replace the bad stuff with.

My question, though, is, what does everybody do with their old, crappy rigging line? The stuff that you'll never find a use for.

I don't have an answer. The stuff just accumulates with almost every kit I buy.

I don't want to just throw it out. I've seen what fish netting can do to wildlife and wouldn't want to let that happen.  I guess I could burn it in the fireplace. . .

I've heard people say, "Oh, just keep it. You'll find a use for it someday". I've got about 40 years' worth of "somedays" stored up to use, and it's not getting used.

Just curious. Thanks for letting me whine . . .

Harvey

Posted (edited)

eBay? You have a lot of less discerning builders out there. They would buy it up at half the price of the good stuff. I would if I didn’t have boxes full my self.  👍

Edited by John Ruy

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

16 hours ago, wefalck said:

Shouldn't we rather promote the 'good' stuff or the making of it ?

We're continously doing that in different topics.

Anyway, our local modeler club has regular market weekends, where all your surplus stuff could be sell or donate to others. The threads which is not suitable for you could be fine for other modelers, and not just shipmodelers: those market weekends (called boerse) often visited by diorama makers looking for photoetch rails, threads, chains etc. because they would urgently need only 10cm of chain, and they could pick it up from the 'garbage' boxes.

On 1/9/2024 at 3:20 AM, capnharv2 said:

I've seen what fish netting can do to wildlife and wouldn't want to let that happen.  I guess I could burn it in the fireplace. . .

I would run a razor over as much as possible so there are only small pieces.  I got in the habit of cutting fishing line as well as the rings on plastic six pack rings for soda and beer when garbage was hauled on barges back in the day and still do it to this day just in case.  Turtles supposedly see the clear plastic as jelly fish and get hung up or choke on the stuff if it winds up in the water.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2024 at 3:19 AM, wefalck said:

The most radical solution would be to stop buying kits 😉

Otherwise, it might be possible to turn the 'threads' supplied by kit manufacturers into 'rope' using a (home-made) ropewalk ...

I wish! I stopped buying kits 15-20 years ago. Nowdays, I get notes from families whose ship modelling father/grandfather/brother/etc have passed away, and they send me leftover rigging line ("string", as they call it)

I get leftover ship model wood too (anybody want some 1" x 6" x 6' basswood?). At least I can find a use for wood. . .

On 1/10/2024 at 6:03 AM, jerome said:

If it’s really crappy line I would toss it.

or perhaps a resale shop could find a use for it.

some crafter might be able to use it.

I have a lot of old, used rigging line (for the real sailboat) lying around the house too. It's been suggested that I learn to make rope fenders and bow pudding. . . .