Planking, using CA glue, my Amati Fifie

Someday soon I'll start the second planking my Fifie build. I'll be using CA glue. Of course I would like to use PVA but that's not the best way with this convoluted hull ship.that is danged hard to clamp planking other then with nails which on the second layer is not a good thing

I've seen suggestions here and elsewhere that should use use extra thick, or maybe medium, or then thin or extra thin. Any comments as I really want a CA to set up pretty quickly.

Thanks

I like this stuff:

Fast Cap 2P-10,  It is a medium consistency, and stays where you put it in small amounts..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Hi David. I used Bob Smith extra thick CA on the planking of my Amati Fifie and it worked well, fast and easy.

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

3 hours ago, Gregory said:

Fast Cap 2P-10,  It is a medium consistency, and stays where you put it in small amounts..

Do you use the activator mentioned on the label or just the glue by itself?

Completed Build:   HMS Beagle - Occre

Current Build:         Frigate Diana - Occre  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33530-frigate-diana-by-rossr-occre-185/

On the Shelf:           Santisima Trinidad Cross Section - Occre, NRG Half Hull, the US Brig Syren - Model Shipways and USF Essex - Model Shipways.

Thin or run-down CA glue is really hard to control. I prefer medium thick CA for wood working.

https://next.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/products/industrial-adhesives/central-pdp.html/loctite-sf-7452/BP000000153559.html

Any CA accelerator or primer makes surface ready for 10 hours.

Also, it works instantly and permanently. In my opinion, it is so strong that I don't have any chance to fix it.

2 hours ago, RossR said:

Do you use the activator mentioned on the label or just the glue by itself?

Just the glue..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

All good information! Thanks folks

I suspect that medium will be my choice and put Starbond on my Amazon wish list if for no other reason then that I have some of their activator.             

I considered the thick but the set time can be too long for the way this boat's hull is configured and the thin is too fast for my level of experience planking.

I am becoming a big fan of CA in my modeling and don't write off thin CA.  Many parts are difficult to clamp, and my hands are not as good as they used to be at holding parts and waiting for them to hold with slower drying glues. There are various applicators that are sold for thin CA that give a lot of control.  Instead of trying to control from the bottle I use tiny containers (from amazon and primarily for nail or tattoo artists). I put a small amount of thin CA into the container and use the applicators giving very fine control and the ability to place tiny/precision amounts of the CA. The thin CA leaches into the wood joints and for most, does a fine job of holding almost instantly.  

My process has increasingly become holding parts in place on the model and apply tiny amounts of CA. The parts hold in a few seconds and a lot less fumbling with clamps.  If I make a mistake (and I do, often) I use a little debonder or acetone and I get to try again.  I do not use the spray hardener often.  I find I don't really need it and the odor is obnoxious.  

My takeaway is that I reduced the need to hold or clamp parts which is tough on the arthritis.  Really it is mainly second planking that I use other glues.

Thanks

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

I always use Bob Smith Industries CA Medium Insta-cure purple bottle for planking. Not because I have to use CA but because I want to. 

Never direct from the bottle, from thin CA applicators also from Bob Smith. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose