Golden City by Louie da fly - Scale 1:50 and 1:25 - solid hull - Paddlewheeler

And the little gates fixed - a bit rough and ready, but at least well enough for a prototype. When it comes to the "good one" at 1:25 I'll be more careful and finish them better.

20240418_191515.thumb.jpg.6ec160dc73c7144520c4d42adf884683.jpg

Ready for tomorrow's exhibition.

Steven

• The title was changed to Golden City by Louie da fly - Scale 1:50 and 1:25 - solid hull - Paddlewheeler
  • 2 weeks later...

I was invited to take the almost-complete 1:50 model along to the meeting of the Golden City Paddle Steamer Museum Society (the group of volunteers who own and run the Golden City) so they could have a look at it.

They were all very chuffed with it, thought it was brilliant, loved the idea of selling 1:50 models to visitors as a fundraiser. And wanted to know if the big (1:25) model would be ready to display in time for the "season" (they only run the full-sized one on the lake from October to April due to Australia being upside down and having winter in June.) I wasn't able to give a definite undertaking because of uncertainties in what problems might arise in building the big one, but just between you and me I think it's quite possible.

They even have a big glass display case (museum-sized) which they recently acquired and in which they plan to display it.

All rather positive. Now I actually have to deliver the goods!

Steven

A great (and nice looking) little project Steven, enjoyed the catch-up on your log.  If doing multiples 3D printing some of the items such as the chairs, gates etc may help and be a lot cheaper/easier when considering the time you would spend if making them?  then again if just providing the stock the cost would not be a concern but may put some budding modellers off?

A great idea and what a great way to preserve some local history,  I doff my hat.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Just ran across this log, Steven.  A very cool project and amazingly well done in such a short time.  Like Pat, I doff my hat. 

I hope that "chuffed" means the people that run the museum liked your model!

Thanks for the likes and comments everybody. I got into preparing multiple 1:50 hulls today - I think I have about 13 made so far. But I only have half a dozen "verandahs" and awnings so far, so I've got some catching up to do.

Also working on the sort of roll-top desk thingy (see photo No. 3 in post #18 above) for the big model - it supports the wheel on the full-sized vessel, but I'm only doing the wheel for the big one. I have a cunning plan for how to make it. It remains to be seen whether it will work.

Pat, 3D printing would certainly save time and effort, but as I have absolutely no experience or equipment I expect I'll just build up the seats and gates with strips of wood (and they're free!)

Steven

I believe that everything being hand made should also be a selling feature. In this case it’s also cheaper as it  appears that you are donating time and materials.  Printing materials and labor would be out of pocket costs.

I join others in lifting my virtural hat to you!  Building 13 of the same model !

Roger

Posted (edited)

Glen, 'chuffed' means pleased. You can be mildly chuffed or extremely chuffed. I think they were near the top end of the scale. One asked me if it would be possible to get his yacht model repaired, others were very interested in the idea of selling the models to the public - lots of people come here from Melbourne and have a nice trip in the lake in the paddlewheeler. What nicer than to then buy a model of the boat? 

Roger, I agree about the cost factor. The wood is donated - we have far more than we know what to do with, and the machinery to cut it to size. I'm hoping I can figure out a jig to make mass production easier.

Oh, and 13 is just the start!

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Here are 13 hulls, awnings and 'verandahs' (promenade decks?). And the thing with all the clamps on it is the promenade deck for the big model - I'm gradually adding planks; one or two each day.

20240521_100449.thumb.jpg.a8cffd55a65dd4e87a118ebbd5cb575f.jpg

Plus the deck fittings for the wheel and what I think is storage. And the wheel itself under construction. I cheated with this. I asked a fellow Men's Shedder to turn it on the lathe because I don't have the skills. You can see the little holes in the sides for the handles. Once they're in place I'll slice it off its substructure and we should have a wheel instead of a cylinder.

20240521_100516.thumb.jpg.3f2796b534c93e34a949c36dafc02be1.jpg

20240521_100521.thumb.jpg.a7253714f667ca3f8ac5cdb8581a36ec.jpg

Steven

Ships wheels are always fun to see. So many approaches to take and all with their challenges. How do you propose to separate it from the block? 

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Hi Steven, a couple of thoughts.  If t is not too late, I would avoid a fret saw as the blade is very flexible and may wander while cutting?  I would look at a high tooth count fine stiff backed saw such as a small 'gentleman's' dovetail saw.  I bought one years ago and it has proven very reliable for this purpose. The following is a Zona version (I think Hobby Tools Australia have this brand).

419ihzGCv1L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

The second is more of an alternative idea for your wheel spokes. - that is unless the real wheel has straight spokes anyway.  I have had previous success using tooth picks - the ones with the fancy ends like the cocktail ones.  I simply cut off the outer nub and round the new end a bit, then cut to length.  They look reasonably good when stained.  Your current one looks good, simply offering an alternative for future versions if interested.  These ones are available from Woolworths.

Korbond Wooden Party Toothpicks

cheers

Pat

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 10:34 AM, Louie da fly said:

Glen, 'chuffed' means pleased. You can be mildly chuffed or extremely chuffed. I think they were near the top end of the scale

Late, but pursuing!

In UK English the very top end of the chuffed scale is “Chuffed to little Naafi breaks”

Dont ask, as I don’t know.

For non-UK citizens:  NAAFI is the organisation who dispense “tea and wads” to the armed forces

Presumably in time of war a rest in the vicinity of a NAAFI van was a relatively wonderful time

great models, Steven.  Good plan and well executed

Note:  the wee models would run on a flat floor on their paddles; could be motorised, and if ballasted could perform in the bath.

BFO:  solar fountain ( as used in all my birdbaths to prevent mosquito larvae) reassembled to put solar cell on roof and pump attached beneath boat gives steady silent solar propulsion

Might be eye catching as a sales aid in a small round basin near the point of sale 

Edited by liteflight
Unintended full stop removed ( period for anyone reading in American)

Andrew

"Pas d’elle yeux Rhone que nous”

Kits under the bench: Le Hussard (Started in the 1980s)

Scratch builds:               Volante, Brig (R/C): Footy Drakkar "Rodolm" (R/C).  Longship Osberg (R/C)

Pat, I may end up using a wider bladed saw. Depends what's available. But I also need very fine teeth if I don't want to destroy the thing.

I'm using toothpicks for the posts that support the awning - at least for the smaller model - and they work well. For the larger one, bamboo skewers or something similar.

Andrew, the NAAFI is of course famous from the Highly Esteemed Goon Show.

But with the motorised paddles and pool  I really think you're asking a bit more than I had in mind . . . :D

Steven

1 hour ago, Louie da fly said:

But with the motorised paddles and pool  I really think you're asking a bit more than I had in mind . . . :D

Well understood!  I was not suggesting the the paddles were motorised ( but great idea!)

I just mount the solar pump beneath so that the jet points backwardish and the craft imitates the actions of a squid in jet mode

Andrew

"Pas d’elle yeux Rhone que nous”

Kits under the bench: Le Hussard (Started in the 1980s)

Scratch builds:               Volante, Brig (R/C): Footy Drakkar "Rodolm" (R/C).  Longship Osberg (R/C)

On 5/24/2024 at 11:24 PM, Louie da fly said:

I intend to mount it back into the lathe and slice it off (carefully) with a traditional fretsaw (very fine blade)

Steven - Sounds like a good plan. I think cutting it off with a parting off tool would have been a bit too aggressive.

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

On 5/25/2024 at 2:07 AM, BANYAN said:

These ones are available from Woolworths.

Pat - you still have Woolworths 😮. They went extinct just after the dinosaurs over here.

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

4 hours ago, KeithAug said:

Pat - you still have Woolworths 😮. They went extinct just after the dinosaurs over here.

I wish they would here also Keith ;) :) 

cheers

Pat

Oh, I don't know. If Woolies was gone, Coles would effectively have a monopoly. But I'm sure they wouldn't take advantage if that to hike the prices up . . . (irony).

Back to the subject at hand. A-a-a-and - IT WORKED!

20240527_112729.thumb.jpg.73717694ac7b6a92c5f8b3f3a2e674b6.jpg

In the event, I used a coping saw to cut it off instead of a fretsaw. It seemed like a better tool for the job. Very much heart in mouth, with the lathe at the slowest speed and gently pressing with the saw as the work rotated.

But - voila! Success! (very pleased - I'd been very worried that sawing the wheel off the base would destroy it, but it's turned out just as I'd hoped.)

Steven