French FT-17 Renault Light Tank by Haliburton - Meng - 1/35

So following from the Big Bertha build I’m moving in the opposite direction with this WW1 build.  The tiniest of tanks. Originating in 1917 as a prototype it was put into service by France in March, 1918 and by November of that same year 3530 had been produced.  Quite a remarkable production effort, mind you, as I said, this beastie is tiny!  Interestingly FT-17s were used by 27 countries including the US, China, and the Soviet Union and served in multiple conflicts  including both world wars as well as the Russian civil war. It had a nickname ‘the mosquito’ with the idea I believe that these little units could ‘swarm’ the enemy.    I think my biggest challenge with this build will be the tiny parts.  Some photos of the real thing below.

Scott

IMG_0781.jpeg

IMG_0779.jpeg

IMG_0780.jpeg

IMG_0778.jpeg

Currently building:

HM Yacht Chatham - 1:64 - Caldercraft

Nice.

The tanks in picture one are post WW1.

I think Estland or Lithuania.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1 hour ago, Baker said:

I think Estland or Lithuania

Patrick I checked the Wikipedia reference and you are right - Lithuania in 1925.  Here is a shot of them in Manchuria 1932 with the Japanese. This must have been quite a revenue generator for Renault - these tanks ended up pretty much everywhere. 

IMG_0782.jpeg

Currently building:

Indeed, 

I think the Japanse had a different machine gun.

I have some books about the ft17 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

• The title was changed to French FT-17 Renault Light Tank by Haliburton - Meng - 1/35
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Baker said:

I think Estland or Lithuania.

1st pic, Lithuania postwar...

2nd pic, Patton in France 1918

3rd pic, From NARA it is titled as, "French Renault tank with American crew Sgt. Edward White and Cpl. Edward J. Elliot, Military Road near Cigarette Butte, France."

They wound up everywhere postwar cause they were the most successful design to come out of the war... They have all the features of a modern tank... And the ideas of how to correctly use them in combat came directly out of the brain of one Lt Colonel of the US army named George S Patton Jr.... I believe a couple of them were last found in a military dump in Iraq during Desert Storm....

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

If you going to open up the turret? you will want to take the white interior back to the rear rivet line, maybe even farther if your going to rotate the turret... The Turret has relatively large doors and when open, you can see all of the turret interior and quite a bit of the hull interior... 

It's a very nice Kit and can be built into a very nice example of an FT-17 of most any era...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

2 hours ago, Egilman said:

If you going to open up the turret? you will want to take the white interior back to the rear rivet line, maybe even farther if your going to rotate the turret... The Turret has relatively large doors and when open, you can see all of the turret interior and quite a bit of the hull interior.

I’m not certain but it’s a great suggestion - I thought white was an odd interior colour but maybe it was intended to make things as visible as possible?

Currently building:

Posted (edited)

On an off white on many interior compartments is a pretty common practice because it does help to brighten up the work space a little bit and improve visibility.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

I ran across a pair of these at a Naval Base in Norway 25 years ago.  They were in *rough* shape back then when the NATO fleet dropped in for a visit.  I wonder if they've done anything with them since then.  It was up near Bergen.  

Neat build!  

Brad/NavyShooter

Pending Launch: RMS Titanic - 1/100 - 3D Print - Pond Float display

Build Log:   HMCS Bonaventure- 1/96 - A Fitting Out

Completed Build:  HMCS St Thomas - 1/48 - 3D printed Bens Worx

Completed Build:  3D Printed Liberty Ship - 1/96 - RC

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

11 hours ago, NavyShooter said:

I ran across a pair of these at a Naval Base in Norway 25 years ago.  They were in *rough* shape back then when the NATO fleet dropped in for a visit. 

Very interesting Brad, I googled to see what I could find and I did find some YouTube videos that purport to show ft-17s the Germans left on the coast.  There were other images of the the turrets having been incorporated by the Germans into the Atlantic wall 

Currently building:

5 hours ago, Haliburton said:

Very interesting Brad, I googled to see what I could find and I did find some YouTube videos that purport to show ft-17s the Germans left on the coast.  There were other images of the the turrets having been incorporated by the Germans into the Atlantic wall 

Old tank turrets used on bunkers

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=14464

Regards, Patrick

Posted (edited)

The Germans captured a large number of French vehicles in 1940, they used them for security and police service... (as well as bunker armaments)

FT-17-Wehrmacht-1.jpg.771b6d774b5556d44e1e78a38bd790fe.jpgGerman-FT17-1.jpg.5588af545e4580b429c440deb984997c.jpg

They were known as the Panzerkampfwagen FT-17/18 730(f) in Wehrmacht service...

FT-17_1940_2.jpg.76e32d3683e432c1303e103d29a9f69b.jpgFT-17_in_german_service_number_122.jpg.bd5c4212fbd21a516a6e6fb68b1899d7.jpgFT-17_in_german_service_number_133.jpg.e372500ce10dd1a53cbaa24de3412443.jpgFT-17_Panzerkampfwagen_17R_730_f.jpg.9865b137f90085c31b6b5a5cf23fe56b.jpgFT17_tank_France_1940.jpg.1d57a73c9e439f4c52fdf7fc6bb74b46.jpg

The Germans never let anything go to waste.....

And we captured a few of them back at the end....

FT-17_in_german_service.jpg.ac4f8ade1f1337aa9798251a5b41871b.jpg

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

So I’m hijacking my own thread, but as a side build I’ve been working on a Canadian LAV 3. This is from trumpeter. Here is the finished product. I was impressed with the quality of this kit.  I did not apply the decals which were used in Afghanistan.

Scott 

IMG_0786.jpeg

Currently building:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it’s been a while since my last update. Lots of things going on in my household - including an open house for the happy occasion of my mother’s 90th birthday 🎂.  I’ve found this build to be challenging because of the small parts and the instructions being less clear than I’d like. The bevelled edges that need to be glued are also a bit tricky to stabilize as the glue sets.   Here’s a photo of my current progress. Thanks for looking in, Scott

IMG_0794.jpeg

Currently building: