Salmson 2 A.2 by ccoyle - FINISHED - WAK - 1/33 - CARD - in markings of aircraft flown by Capt. Arthur J. Coyle, 1st Squadron, US Air Service, Autumn 1918

Chris, what is the life expectancy for a paper model? I asked Mr Google but he didn't know diddly. 

31 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

Chris, what is the life expectancy for a paper model?

I remember reading a long time ago that some very early paper models have survived surprisingly long times in museums. As for my models, they will probably survive until I die, but after that all bets are off!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

17 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

but after that all bets are off

Too funny. 

Empennage is done. I can't give this kit high marks for number and quality of diagrams, not for sufficiency of internal structure. I had to muddle through the former and scratch-build some of the latter, but it turned out okay, I think.

image.jpeg.3ab374334480c8da8d05feb79a9a4d59.jpeg

image.jpeg.037592ca7a7c0ca03d2bc82f45a7f088.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.72ca937f9008fab88dbc561e350071c5.jpeg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Posted (edited)

Looking good!

What are you using for the rigging?

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Interesting video of a Salmson being readied for flight. I can plainly see some elements that the kit designer got wrong. 😑

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Bit of a hiccup on the Salmson. The sheet of laser-cut parts for the wings was cut from the wrong thickness of card -- only 0.5 mm instead of 1.0 mm. I suspect the sheet containing the fuselage bulkheads was likewise cut from the wrong thickness, but thickness was less critical for those parts. Anyways, I assembled one wing frame, hoping I could make the thinner parts work, but the resulting structure is very flimsy. So, I made the painful decision to ditch the laser-cut parts and use the printed kit parts after laminating them to some leftover 1.0 mm pulpboard. This means I will now need to cut out 28 parts for the wing frames. Also, because the frame pieces are so narrow in the vertical dimension, cutting out the notches where the parts intersect greatly weakens the pulpboard at that point, so I need to stiffen all of the cut-out parts with thin CA. Depending on how motivated I am, this task may take a few days.

image.jpeg.15d91da76d7bd944cfe15b6a3a031004.jpeg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

If the laser parts are only half thickness, could you order a second set of them and laminate them together (with the laser parts you have) to create the desired 1mm thickness?

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

3 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

f the laser parts are only half thickness, could you order a second set of them and laminate them together (with the laser parts you have) to create the desired 1mm thickness?

You could, if A.) you were willing to pay for a new set, B.) the replacement set were also the wrong thickness, and C.) you were willing to wait two weeks or so for the new set to arrive. No, thanks!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

You could, if A.) you were willing to pay for a new set, B.) the replacement set were also the wrong thickness, and C.) you were willing to wait two weeks or so for the new set to arrive. No, thanks!

Fair enough! I guess it would be a matter of replacing one headache with another!

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

5 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Depending on how motivated I am, this task may take a few days.

Old school, and I'm sure it will come out fine,... I'm also sure you've done it before... {chuckle} You knew the solution right away....

Just a little more work... I have faith in you...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

1 hour ago, Egilman said:

I'm also sure you've done it before... {chuckle} You knew the solution right away

Yes, this is how I had to build all my models back in the days before I discovered laser-cut parts! Happily, pulpboard is far gentler on #11 blades than chipboard (shudder). I was fortunate to have such a large surplus piece of it on hand.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

6 minutes ago, druxey said:

But, if the second set is the correct thickness....

. . . then you still have to wait for it to arrive from Poland. 😉 I already have the new parts cut out.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

This came up in my Facebook memories today. It's a Yak-3 built from an Orlik kit. It's one of the very first kits I built with laser-cut formers. A friend of mine back in California has this model.

image.jpeg.105ed45ade524e1f29036d5fce3141b6.jpeg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

So, while I'm sitting here killing some time, allow me to share one of the Great Criminal Enterprises in the world of card modeling. Shown below is a screen capture of my shopping cart from an actual publisher/vendor in Poland, who shall go nameless.

image.png.eede38fb895f4e3a2b8bc43ab617bb88.png

Pay special attention to the shipping charge. How many models do you think are in my shopping cart?

Two.

Yes, that is the shipping cost to get two kits (plus frames, wheels, and canopies) shipped from Poland. Which is a shame, because I'm really quite interested in these two particular models (a Swedish J-20, i.e. Reggiane 2000, and a North American Harvard IIB). But I'm not $72.24 interested. Sadly, these two kits are not available at the sites I usually buy from.

Card models -- it pays to shop.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

That's not the same kit, Keith. Thanks for looking, though!

EDIT: I'm not terribly enamored of the Italian Eastern Front camo scheme depicted on the Orel kit. I think it looks kinda garish. Moreover, the graphics and level of detail don't look that great, either. I've never built one of Orel's aircraft kits, but I've never been impressed by any of the finished examples I've seen.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Chris, is WAK the kit manufacture for both the J-2000 and Harvard IIB

6 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Chris, is WAK the kit manufacture for both the J-2000 and Harvard IIB?

No. If they were, I probably would have already bought them, cuz WAK has the best shipping rates in the business. No, sadly, they are both published by MSModel.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Posted (edited)

Pardon me askin, just WHAT is a J-2000 anyway? It certainly doesn't show up as any aircraft known to man in my internet searches....

AH, you mean the Swedish J-20 ie. the Italian Reggiane 2000 Falco I... Duh... My eyes must be getting bad.... {chuckle}

the MSModels website doesn't show either aircraft just two, not the ones your looking for, they make and sell mostly eastern european Railroad and Truck stuff and seem to be switching to resin aftermarket parts on the way to making resin models... 

Unless I'm looking at the wrong place...

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Posted (edited)

You mean this one...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303785714104

Of course that is the Orel Kit # 291

Out of the Ukraine... Looks fairly reasonable to me there should be some Swedish 1/33rd scale decals around to build the J-20....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

1 hour ago, Egilman said:

Unless I'm looking at the wrong place...

https://www.answer.pl/en/planes/4637-j-20-re2000.html

https://www.answer.pl/en/planes/4701-harvard-iib.html

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Here's a bit of progress on the wings. First I'll give you an idea of the lower wingspan. The Salmson is about half again as wide and half again as long as the diminutive Nieuport 11.

image.thumb.jpeg.c32327faa70575626b056c82d878ca1b.jpeg

The design of each wing structure is not ideal. There are few clues on where to place the internal frames, and though there is a joiner tab in the area of the aileron cutout, no joiner strip is provided for the rest of the wing.

image.thumb.jpeg.d44155a926a0ca1e28ce068c7c1ad732.jpeg

Well, that just doesn't cut it for me, so of course I had to add some additional structure from scratch, including a joiner strip and some internal cladding for the frames. Fitting the joiner strip required trimming the ends of the ribs.

image.thumb.jpeg.dfe69a81330c8a5242515b265dc4affd.jpeg

And here's everything glued together, except for the wingtip.

image.thumb.jpeg.21b0955ffc20bdd3849b3a01aa0f1a55.jpeg

Only three more wings to go!

Fitting the lower wings to the fuselage might be tricky. There's a single rib to be added at the inboard end of the wing, but the kit provides precious little guidance on where exactly to glue it. Its location will determine the placement of the wing-to-fuselage joint, and there are no locator marks printed on the fuselage. Hmmmmm.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Playing around with the wing-to-fuselage fit. As I said, there is virtually no guidance in the instructions or diagrams about how this structure should go together. To begin with, I stiffened the bulkhead extensions and then doubled them. Then I added the ribs, both the original 0.5 mm original and its 1.0 mm replacement. The structure is now quite rigid and guides the wing right to where it (hopefully) is supposed to go.

image.jpeg.38a4e9b9ed4bdbfa8bd2664e8b2b2eca.jpeg

And then there's this part:

image.jpeg.8bd34baa43c70b27578820103464546d.jpeg

Once again I have no clue about how the upper and lower edges are supposed to be brought together, and wing roots do not seem to have been the focus of any photos found online. So, this structure will be treated as one of those "no one will notice it, so I'm going to guess at it" structures. My plan is to add a fillet to the gap and paint it to match the kit colors. Tune in later to see the result!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Just now, Canute said:

WAK doesn't seem to be a kit company for the noobies.

This is more of an example of shopping by designer rather than by publisher. As loyal readers may recall, some publishers print the work of multiple designers, so the name of the publisher is not always a reliable indicator of kit quality. There are exceptions, of course -- Pawel over at Kartonowa Kolekcja only publishes his own work, at least for aircraft (I'm not familiar with any of KK's ship or armor designs), and his designs are always top-shelf. But WAK is a mixed bag. Interestingly, this kit is advertised as "suitable for beginners," but it's another 'beginner's kit' that would've stumped me as a beginner.

This kit also illustrates the fact that one designer's work can show up under multiple publishers. The same designer of this kit also designed the Hawker Nimrod kit from Answer that is in my stash. Needless to say, I'm not as enthusiastic about that kit as I once was. 😑 On the other hand, at least one of the other WAK kits I have in my stash is designed by Lukas Fuczek, whose kits have not always been easy to build, but they are definitely detailed and have nice graphics; the two of Lukas' kits that I have finished were published by Orlik.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco