Gunboat Philadelphia 1776 by tmj

41 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

since the planks are cherry, I'd go with cheery trunnels and let the devil take the hindquarter

Hi Keith!

If it weren't for the really light-colored Basswood flooring timbers, inside the boat, I could live with that. The cherry trunnels are indeed noticeable on the Cherry bottom planking, but also not too awfully prominent. They are obvious and quite easy to see but not glaring and rude. My problem isn't so much with the Cherry bottom, but rather with the end grain of the trunnels that will be seen atop the light-colored Basswood flooring timbers... as well as the Basswood frames that will eventually be tree-nailed atop that Cherry bottom planking. the end-grain of both Basswood and Cherry are proving to be a bit too noticeable and "in your face" atop that really light-colored Basswood. I don't want that! 

I'm thinking about maybe 'faking' trunnels on the Basswood by grinding a steel roll-punch tip down to the required .042" diameter of a scale trunnel, then lightly 'punching' the surface of the Basswood to leave a shallow indention that I can fill with PVA glue and sand flush. That will be my next experiment. If 'that' works, my fingers will thank me. Drawing trunnels through a drawplate isn't exactly what I call having fun! 🤨      

"The journey of a thousand miles is only the beginning of a thousand journeys!"

Current Build;

1776 Gunboat Philadelphia, Navy-Board Style, Scratch Build 1:24 Scale

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

In dry dock;

Scratch Build of USS Constitution... on hold until further notice, if any.

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

Corel HMS Victory Cross Section kit "BASH"... being neglected!

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, tmj said:

The Basswood end-grain gets too dark when the Tung-Oil is applied.

Yes, end grain is super absorbent.  But because it is, would it be possible to seal the ends of the basswood clear before applying the Tung-Oil?   Excellent work on this model by the way!

Gary

Edited by FriedClams

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

1 hour ago, FriedClams said:

Yes, end grain is super absorbent.  But because it is, would it be possible to seal the ends of the basswood clear before applying the Tung-Oil?   Excellent work on this model by the way!

Thanks Gary!

I'm not sure if sealing the ends will also darken the end grain. More experiments are needed. I'm going to make a cheater-template for drilling all of the trunnel holes (got a flat bottom, might as well take advantage of that flatness) and will be thinking more about this while working on that template.  

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

In dry dock;

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

Keith,

What about those pastels you are using for 'grunge' on your pile driver? Would that stuff stick to the end of a flat tipped punch and be able to be pressed onto the basswood timbers? Would it stick to the wood well enough for me to fix it in place with a spray of clear coat?  

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

1 hour ago, tmj said:

What about those pastels you are using for 'grunge' on your pile driver? Would that stuff stick to the end of a flat tipped punch and be able to be pressed onto the basswood timbers? Would it stick to the wood well enough for me to fix it in place with a spray of clear coat?  

Tom, my next use of pastels will be my first so, I know nothing. But I do know this, in all the models where folks have cut corners by faking trunnels and plank joints, it's always turned out looking fake, IMHO. Bite the bullet, pick your trunnel wood of choice and get after it. You're trying to be exact with this project, please don't try taking the easy way and do something that might wind up looking cheesy. 

Current Builds: 1880s Floating Steam Donkey Pile Driver 

Wood Hull Screw Frigate USS Tennessee

Decorative Carrack Warship Restoration, the Amelia

Completed: Early Swift 1805 Model Restoration

6 hours ago, Keith Black said:

You're trying to be exact with this project, please don't try taking the easy way and do something that might wind up looking cheesy. 

Not to worry Keith. I'll be testing everything on scrap before I implement it into my actual build. 'Cheesy' will never be an option. If something looks improper, I'll try something different... and keep trying different things, one step at a time, until I finally come up with a proper solution. Thanks for that link to "Methods for Making Treenails". There are some good hints in that link.       

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

I have an 'OciCat'. She's a hoot, but she also likes to pilfer things and hide them in strange places. I just caught her running out of my shop with a baggie in her mouth, heading under the bed in the bedroom. That baggie contains my drawn, experimental trunnel materials. Ribbit caught her in the act, but it was too late to stop her before she made her fast 'get-away'. I was able to recover the goods and Ribbit is now ready should she try another daring act of such thievery! 

11August2024RibbitGun.thumb.jpg.15c4e2768b5ddb5dc530c6ac59baa748.jpg  

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

Stupid cats! We had one when I was restoring old cars that thought it was great sport stealing daddy's small car parts. We love cats, we've had a constant feline presence in our homes for almost fifty years. 

11 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

We love cats, we've had a constant feline presence in our homes for almost fifty years

I enjoy cats. They are low maintenance and can be quite entertaining. I have three right now. They are all rescues. One is the pilfering Ocicat, there's also a Bengal, and last but not least a very curious cat that we aren't sure about, nor can get any info about. She's much larger than the other two rescues. We think she might have some Bobcat or Lynx in her. She drew a LOT of blood from me and the Mrs. during the first three years but has since come to trust us and has become a big, gentle lady. It just took time, patience and our being chewed on, without retaliation for a while before she finally mellowed out. She was bad, really bad at first. When she bit, she'd bite incredibly hard, send her fangs deep, and then start to shake her head violently like she was trying to rip flesh off. Nowadays, we'll get a gentle nip now and then, kinda like a love bite. It's not intentional but rather seems to be something from instinct. Sometimes her love bites draw a little bit of blood but most times not. We knew what we were getting into when we adopted her. Had we not given her a chance she would have likely been euthanized 7 years ago. She's now a really sweet girl and a big part of my family. We don't worry about visitors. She will hide when anyone comes over and not come back out until after they have left, and the coast is clear.              

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

Here's my current layout for the butt-splice planking plates (nailed, not tree-nailed) and the bottom planking trunnels (tree-nailed). I'm going to need to dig a bit deeper into the Smithsonian drawings to see if there are more details on 'other pages' that are not shown on page #4 of 16 pages. The details on page #4 show trunnel details for only one flooring timber that is located close to the bow. Long story short... It just looks as though there should be more trunnels in certain areas, especially in the wider planks. I know that these gunboats were not designed to last very long, so this could very well be the actual layout, however. I need to dig a bit deeper just to ensure that this is actually correct before I continue.   

11August2024initialtrunnels.thumb.jpg.b8f1c442e2c02ef4cd402fedb9896896.jpg    

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

Posted (edited)

Still experimenting with the trunnels. I was going to simply print out a paper drilling template but noticed that my drill-bit would wander off target, just a bit, every time the point of the drill bit touched the wood. That probably wouldn't happen if I used an awl to poke a 'pilot' indentation into the wood prior to drilling, but there was also another problem that I ran in to. That problem being close tolerances to prevent me from accidentally drifting too far off target, for my holes, and accidentally blowing out of the sides of the flooring timbers via me just missing the target, or the drill bit drifting upon initial contact with the wood. With a paper template I could not see if I was properly aligned with all of the flooring timbers before drilling. I also noticed that after leaving my paper template taped to a practice dummy, overnight, the paper had expanded due to a sudden change in humidity and the template was no longer fitting proper for drilling accurate holes. "Hmm?" That's not good. It's going to take me a few days to drill all of those trunnel holes, and I can't have my template changing every day. To solve this problem, I'm getting rid of the paper template and going with a hard template that won't be affected by the weather. 

I've divided the bottom of this build into four sections. Each section will have its own separate template with viewing slots to ensure that everything lines up properly. These templates will be made from .035" thick stainless steel. There's no reason why such templates cannot be made from cardboard, thin plywood, etc. The only reason that I chose thin stainless steel is because I have a ton of that stuff at work and also a laser to cut it with. It saves me a lot of time, which is something that I currently just don't have enough of. I need to cheat if I'm going to keep this build from bogging down and going stagnant right after getting going! 

I've also purchased some Bamboo toothpicks to draw down into .042" diameter trunnels. I want to see how the 'end-grain' of those drawn bamboo trunnels take to a clear-coat finish. Fingers are crossed!

The night shift is supposed to cut out my templates. Hopefully they'll be ready tomorrow. 

TrunnelTemplate.thumb.jpg.ac5bd50c94ae6b47552431e940cee121.jpg         

Edited by tmj

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

Tom, are using an electric./battery drill or a pin drill? IMHO a pin drill would be the ticket. 

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

Tom, are using an electric./battery drill or a pin drill? IMHO a pin drill would be the ticket. 

I'm actually using a Dremel and a Dremel drill press. The problem is that the only proper sized drill bits I could find for a 1:24 scale hole are a bit long. I can't seat them far enough into the Dremel's chuck to only have a short part sticking out. That's where the wobble and bit wandering comes from. I could probably cut the bits shorter, but with a SS drilling boss, why bother. My templates will guide the bit without allowing any drift.

DremelDrillPress.thumb.jpg.610d0686cdfc59210ed2c3744251a7cb.jpg

Edited by tmj

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

I called the laser operator yesterday evening and told him to burn only 'one' of the four templates. First part inspection required. When dealing with so many holes, flooring timbers of various widths, and human error... I needed to ensure that all of my measurements were actually correct and that all of my holes were truly in their proper places. So far so good. The forward template with 128 holes is spot on. No holes will be out of place nor blow through the sides of any of my flooring timbers, at least not on 'this' drilling template. The slots cut in the middle of the template are simply sight gauges allowing me to locate the center line and also see the edges of the flooring timbers to verify that the trunnels will not break through the sides of those timbers. 'This' template passes QC inspection, so I'm going to have the other three templates cut without inspection. 

DrillBoss1.thumb.jpg.40f2e31a9ed2a7364fe09945802ed38e.jpg 

DrillBoss2.thumb.jpg.868fef8d74f61f774ffe274e41023087.jpg

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

Posted (edited)

Please don't feel intimidated or 'left out' by what I am doing here. As per my 'aforementioned' post... there is no reason for anyone to approach this trunnel drilling thing in the same manner that I am doing it. Traditional methods of 'trunneling' any wooden ship model will work just fine on this model too!  I'm simply being impatient, lazy and cheating by taking advantage of technology that I happen to have on hand. 

Edited by tmj

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

Posted (edited)

Trunnel material problem has been solved. As per the photo below... the end grain of my basswood trunnel material is shown on the left. It's quite dark after being treated with Tung Oil. What you see on the 'right' is a Bamboo toothpick that I clipped and treated with the same Tung Oil. The end grain of the Bamboo does not darken to the extent that the basswood does. I'll be drilling my trunnel holes all the way through the components to be tree nailed, however. My trunnels will only be 1/2 of that length. Trunnels inserted from the bottom planking side will be made from Basswood. Trunnels inserted from the top of the flooring timbers and frames will be Bamboo. This will provide a nice, subtle contrast in colors no matter what part of the boat is being viewed by one's eye. Nothing glaring, nothing rude... just noticeable.

BamboovsBasswood.thumb.jpg.24cca0ef02b6c28bd92a8959306a913e.jpg

Edited by tmj

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

All four drilling bosses are ready. Time to start making the trunnels...

DrillBoss3.thumb.jpg.2c449cf9c781697f165cb3dd16839e72.jpg

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

Drill baby drill. :)

Ribbit doesn't like making trunnels. Last night he begged me to let him clean windows, scrub toilets, do "ANYTHING" but spend the day making trunnels! I couldn't oblige him. It must be done!

This is how I found Ribbit early this morning when it was time to get started. I guess I'd better get a large pot of strong, black coffee going!

DrunkRibbit.thumb.jpg.bc82e73685873a07bfe4e7b768c70102.jpg

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

1 hour ago, tmj said:

This is how I found Ribbit early this morning when it was time to get started

That is absolutely hilarious.  

I thought I'd try using a rotary tool with my drawplate. It actually works on both round toothpicks as well as 1/16" square stock. The round toothpicks are Bamboo, and the square stock is Basswood. I can't go more than 4" long on the square stock otherwise it starts to wobble wildly at my Dremel's lowest setting. So far this is working great!

DremelDrawplate.thumb.jpg.1400491a1fd3fbc3b424b7b123d542ef.jpg

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

Posted (edited)

I made good progress on both Basswood 'and' Bamboo trunnels today. I've made maybe enough trunnels to do 1/3d of the boats bottom and flooring timbers. I'm trunneled out for the day. Time for a break! Before getting too carried away, I want to do another test to ensure that the colors of the trunnels 'and' my drilling crispness is truly where I want them both to be. There's still a lot that could go wrong, as you can see by the sloppy holes from my first test. It took me 8 tries to get the speed and feed of my drill-bit correct via that first attempt. I'm now just letting glue dry to get ready for the next test. Fingers are crossed! 

18August2024NextTrunnelTest.thumb.jpg.434be561a7d07af959ac1ced8948f76b.jpg

Edited by tmj

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

Posted (edited)

I caught the shop supervisor dumping some personal debris into the company dumpster today. Seasoned branches and twigs from his back yard. He claims it is willow, but I'm not so sure, nor do I care. It has a nice off-white, cream color to it and a very tight grain. I warned him about using the company dumpster for personal use, then asked him to put the rest of the branches in the back of 'my' truck! 😐 What can I say? "One man's garbage, another man's treasure!" He surely thought I was nuts until I told him what I was up to. Anyway. I cut a couple of branches that look about right for the size and shape of my Philadelphia's stem and stern posts. I haven't officially verified their correctness, yet, but I will. If these two cuttings don't work, I'm sure that there are other specimens that will. I simply grabbed two branches off of the top of the pile that looked somewhat promising.

19Augustpotentialstemandstern.thumb.jpg.ce2e8cc002956752e54e765858cc73ff.jpg     

Edited by tmj

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

Posted (edited)

Holes look crisp and the color of the trunnels is good, however. Bamboo won't work for my trunnels at 1:24 scale. The internal porosity is much too pronounced in a treenail this size. I'll try Birchwood toothpicks and see how 'that' works.

20Aug2024BambooBad.thumb.jpg.ff7d92538125d9d7ef4c0c2d4745bebd.jpg 

Edited by tmj

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

Birchwood looks pretty good... "Hmm?" I'll draw out some trunnels and test 'this' material... 

20Aug2024Birchwood.thumb.jpg.a869d9638a9a6d8caadee0184b8ccb06.jpg

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

Posted (edited)

I'm 'miffed' now! I ordered a good supply of Birchwood toothpicks, from Amazon, because I'm almost out of the ones I've been picking my teeth with. I went to the trouble of drawing out some trunnels, gluing them in place, clipping them off and sanding them down only to discover that those new toothpicks are 'NOT' Birchwood at all. They are Bamboo!!! 100% false advertising on Amazon!!! Who would ever know that the toothpicks they were buying were not really Birch unless they were making 1:24 scale trunnels out of them? I actually like the look of the end grain of Bamboo, but not for 'this' model. The Philadelphia did not have 'wedges' in its trunnels. Maybe a 1:24 build with wedged trunnels would look good with bamboo, as the bamboo 'does' add character... but not this build. Totally out of place!

I put in for a refund and ordered a different brand of 'Birchwood' toothpicks. I wonder if those will prove to be bamboo too! "!@#$" "Buyer Beware!" 

22AugAmazonRipOff.thumb.jpg.52cd972dc96bf6fde5aa0dd22df72aae.jpg

Here's another picture, showing the scale with a U.S. dime. The trunnels are .042" in diameter. The end grain is noticeable. Bamboo just doesn't look proper for 'this' build...

22AugAmazonRipOffScale.thumb.jpg.66864008ca48501417a15cc5d0b5f1b5.jpg

Edited by tmj

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

They look like 0.042 inch deadeyes.