HMS Victory by Jeff-E - FINISHED - Panart - 1:78 Scale - Bow Section

Hi J.Pett, Jimmy and Wackowolf,

Thankyou all for looking in at my log

J.Pett, As I'm going to paint the hull the brass woulld be covered anyway and I think the edges would tend to look out of place

Jimmy, Welcome and are you going to post a log of your build? I look forward to seeing it :) 

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

Hi all,

Just a small update , below are some pics of one of the gunports lined with timber, this still has to be trimmed and it will be painted red

post-1806-0-26406800-1384261252_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-01685600-1384261262_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-30384600-1384261273_thumb.jpg

Any comments most welcome ;) 

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

Hi Matt,

Thank you, I think I will go with the timber lining even though it is a bit fiddley because of the hull thickness. :huh: 

Yes I am going to build a full model of Victory, I actually have her sitting on my shelf, it is the Panhart 1:72 scale deluxe  kit, the full size version of this one but it will be a while before I tackle it as I am doing some reseach and planning on some modifcations I want to make to the kit and also I want to improve my skills some more before I attempt such a large project. So I intend to build a few more smaller models first. At least I should know how to plank the bow section of it :o

post-1806-0-01065900-1384348076_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jeff-E

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

Hi All,

Another small update of the planking, I think it is progressing well and I have only about 8 planks left to close up the starboard side. I have also fitted the garboard planks.

post-1806-0-65038200-1384348521_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-70718200-1384348530_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-92790000-1384348542_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-57547500-1384348561_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-34897600-1384348575_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-65838500-1384349067_thumb.jpg

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

Jeff,

Your first gunport lining looks great, and a great improvement on the metal one, I think you'll agree! Very nice work too on the continuation of your planking.

I can see this is going to be an impressive build! :)

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Hi RIchard and Kester,

Thankyou both for looking in and for your kind comments

Kester, yes I think they will look alot better than the metal ones :) 

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Another small update. I managed to get some more planking done over the last few days and the second layer is almost finished, there is only one plank left to make on the starbord side and five planks, includinng the two planks that fit into the drop plank, on the porrt side. :D 

post-1806-0-72252300-1385798584_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-43310700-1385798598_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-19379900-1385798609_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-60495000-1385798619_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-52412200-1385798631_thumb.jpg

The light at the end of the tunnel is becoming brighter :) I hope to finnish the second planking tomorrow. I will post some more pictures when it is finnished

Edited by Jeff-E

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

Hello Jeff.

Excellent work on the Bow section and the planking looks spot on :)

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Beautiful work, Jeff!  I also have a model ready to start, but a bit of cold feet, I think, seeing your and others work on this forum!

Question..... Why do they recommend contact glue for the second planking? I use this stuff for gluing sandpaper onto planed wood, but it would be awful if you make a mistake and dont position the plank absolutely exactly....Wouldn't water based glue like Titebond or PVA be better 'cos you have time to fix position errors.

What do you use???

jimmyh155, Brissie, Oz

Hi Jeff,

Your planking looks very tight indeed, nice.

I am a fan of painting hulls like the original but this would look good left varnished!

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Hi Jimmy,

Thank you for looking in and your kind words and :722972270:  Which model do you have? Please don't have cold feet about starting your model and posting  a build log you will recieve plenty of encourgement and answers to any questions you have on  this forum

In answer to your question I think  they recomend contact cement because you are able to lay a greater number of planks at one time, making the process a lot quicker, but as you rightly point out if they are not positioned correctly or they are not tapered right to fit snug then it could turn out to be very hard to fix. 

Personally I use PVA wood glue for both layers of planking as it gives you time to adjust the plank into the right position it is then clamped down with pins or planking screws and left to dry. I will sometimes use a small spot of superglue, at certain points along a planks length to hold it at akward points where I can't get a clamp to hold it down but this is rare. The clamps can be seen in use on page 6 of this log

This makes the planking process take a little longer but I think it is worth it

I hope this helps to answer your question and I am looking forward to see you start a build log of your model on this forum

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

Hi Slog,

Thanks for looking in and your kind words

I had thought of leaving her varnished but I think I will still paint the upper works and copper the lower hull

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

Thanks for that answer, Jeff! I agree, I will use Titebond.  One other question, The kits I have got, some have tiny brass nails (well, actually Magnetic brass ?!*) None of the kits seem to use nails though. The model I made 20 years ago (Le Husard), seems to have nail marks on the deck planking, but none on hull planking. I cant remember a thing about how I ever did it???!!  I would have thought a nice line of "brass" nail heads would look quite good..... Don't they use nails these days? Or is it just some special kits?

The kit I have got is a Panart Art 746 HMS Victory section, and, yes, the nails are genuine non magnetic brass!!  Not plated. Even the canons appear to be real brass too!

jimmy from Brizzie in Ozzie

Hi Jimmy,

My understanding is that most model kits supply brass nails to temporarily pin the first planking  and the false decks to the bulkheads while the glue dries. Most of the instructions Iv'e read have said to leave the nails protruding  by a couple of millimeters so that they can be removed after the glue has dried.

I did make the mistake on my first wood model, the HM Bark Endeavour by Artenesia Lantina, to nail the first planking down with the supplied nails which happened to be brass coated steel nails which over time resulted in a rust stained mess.

I think what you are refering to for the deck planks is treenailing and this effect can be achieved in many ways. The method I used on my last build was to use bamboo tree nails made from skewers cut down and drawn through a home made draw plate and glued into holes drilled into the deck and then cut level and sanded off 

post-1806-0-97034600-1385898513_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-45730900-1385898551_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-22446100-1385898709_thumb.jpg

I agree that brass nails would look good as long as they are brass and not coated steel but most of the supplied nails are out of scale.

As for tree nailing the hull there are a quite a few builds on this forum that have done this a very good example is 'Dan Vads Build of the Norfolk'

I hope this helps answer your questions and i look forward to seeing your Victory when you start her

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

wow jeff  great work so far   the planking in the bow looks great cant wait to see it all done keep up the great work

Hi All,

Well the second layer of planking is finished :D . I think it turned out fairly well and I am quite happy with it.

My next task is to fill a few small gaps and some dings in the planks which were caused by spring clamps used to hold them in place while they were wet :( , until I came up with the idea to place a piece of scrap between the plank and the clamp, a bit late for some of them but better late than never :).

After this is done then I'll sand it down and finish lining the gunports and then mark the waterline and the position of the wales.

The first lot photos shows how I shaped the final plank, I find this method fairly easy and accurate. 

post-1806-0-88531500-1386144527_thumb.jpg

I take astrip of masking tape and lay it over the position where the plank is going to go and then outline it with a pencil.

post-1806-0-63485600-1386144537_thumb.jpg

It is then cutout and laid onto the plank

post-1806-0-44239700-1386144546_thumb.jpg

The plank is then cut and sanded to shape, saves a lot of measuring ;) 

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

The next lot of photos shows the completed second planking

post-1806-0-20398000-1386145069_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-79439600-1386145141_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-83024500-1386145153_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-60169600-1386145169_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-26204000-1386145180_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-13124300-1386145195_thumb.jpg

The spot on the bow in photo 10 and 12 is filler :) 

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

wow what outstanding work u have got going there this going to help me alot when i get to my victory the planking great i dont see a ding at all keep up the outstanding work

Well the second layer of planking is finished :D . I think it turned out fairly well and I am quite happy with it.

The plank is then cut and sanded to shape, saves a lot of measuring ;) 

Hi Jeff, thats a bit of an understatement! I would say that it turned out excellent!

Must remember to try the tape technique when I next do the dreaded planking.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)