Armed Virginia Sloop by BareHook - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:48 - First Wood Ship Build

Well i've done just about all I can do until I get the sails fabricated.

The spars are ready and lots of rigging line everywhere to confuse the issue.

I finished the spars with minwax waterbase woodsheen in oak color, this is a rub-on stain/finish that I am happy with.

So far I've used waterbase finishes everywhere except some metal parts that are touched up with oil base paint. I like the low odor of the water base finishes used.

I decided to add cannon balls, bucket and tools to the battle stations (swab/worm & ram/loader).

I can't imagine how the full square rigged ships get done! I'm doing so much rigging prep on everything but it will be a lot easier than once the mast and spars are installed.

My main focus now is getting my sailmaker going on the sails, I need them complete before I install the standing rigging, as I plan to thread the fore sails hanks onto the stays to save me having to sew them on while on the ship.

Ken

post-876-0-07299200-1380025028_thumb.jpg

post-876-0-60257400-1380025330_thumb.jpg

post-876-0-32390400-1380025334_thumb.jpg

post-876-0-86006200-1380025336_thumb.jpg

post-876-0-18765500-1380025340_thumb.jpg

Edited by BareHook

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

You've picked a great kit to build and it looks like you are progressing nicely. were the mast hoops part of the kit or did you construct them from scratch?

Guy

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

• 2 weeks later...

I've installed the Horse, Backstays, and Shrouds, but they are not tied off, but awaiting the forestays installation for final adjustments. She has a lot of lines all over the place, so watch your step!

I'm waiting on the forestays to complete the sails, so I can slide the foresail hanks onto the stays rather than trying to install them after.

My sailmaker has begun the sewing of the sails and completed the internal sewing, next is attaching the bolt ropes. I'm going to see if I can tack them in place with the fraycheck adhesive before sewing the zigzag, otherwise seems extremely difficult.

After the boltropes, its cutting, hemming, reef lines, hanks, shaping/stiffening and rigging.

Ken

post-876-0-30274100-1381233348_thumb.jpg

post-876-0-78076600-1381233349_thumb.jpg

post-876-0-09259000-1381233351_thumb.jpg

post-876-0-29027300-1381233352_thumb.jpg

post-876-0-73258600-1381233353_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

RATS!

Starting the ratlines, first discovery is I cannot make the cowhitch at the ends hold tight with the .012 line so I'm going with the clove hitch at the ends as well and live with small tag ends protruding.

The alignment card guides work well, I'm doing every 5th ratline to hold the spacing then will fill in the rest.

question regarding the ratlines near the top, the spacing gets really close, should I just knot them close and call it good, or leave them off?

The main mast standing rigging is complete and I'll add the topmast after after the ratlines and getting the mainsail lashed to the mast rings.

Sail making going slow, I tried threatening keelhauling if the sailmaking doesn't start producing soon, but with her being the Admiral, my threat carries no weight.

Ken

post-876-0-40947900-1382103464_thumb.jpg

post-876-0-43045800-1382103470_thumb.jpg

Edited by BareHook

The port ratlines are now completed. I'm happy with how they turned out. I used the clove hitch at all 4 points and just trimmed the ends off close.

Once I got the method down, I found it pretty easy. I started with every 5th to hold the spacing and then filled in from the bottom up. The template clipped in place behind really helps as well for keeping your spacing, and providing a contrasting background for grabbing and knotting the ratlines.

Following this method, I found it easier to tie by clipping one end of the string and working with the other end for the first knot:

1. Clip one end to the edge of the template card, near the height of the ratline, remove after first knot.
  2. Tie the center two knots, adjust height with small tweezers.
  3. Tie the outer two knots, adjust height with small tweezers.
  4. Repeat until the section filled between every fifth that were first installed.
  5. Double check alignment and tightness of all ratlines tied in group.
  6. Lock all knots with dilluted white glue.
  7. After glue has dried, trim off ends and start next group.

I was able to complete a set of 4 ratlines in 10-15 minutes.

Ken

post-876-0-23547800-1382442273_thumb.jpg

post-876-0-49314700-1382442280_thumb.jpg

post-876-0-20487800-1382442283_thumb.jpg

post-876-0-77109300-1382442411_thumb.jpg

Edited by BareHook

I'm enjoying watching your rigging procedures.  Just a couple of questions:

1.  What is a crow hitch?  (vs. a cow hitch or a half hitch)

2.  Is your sail maker open for business?  (How much would she charge per sail?)

Thanks.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

I figured sail making rates might be kind of high.  My daughter-in-law is talking rates that are high even with my "family discount".

Since I only plan on having reefed sails, I think I will do my own; I shouldn't require too much sewing.

Thanks.

Edited by KenW

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Excellent ratlines Ken. I used a similar method but did simple overhand knots rather than clove hitches - I'm not sure if you'd ever notice the difference. One thought is to add a few more lines at the base of the shrouds below the cleats? I did this by thinking that the first line at or above the cleats is too high for a sailor to mount (you can see these extra lines on my log).

You are brave doing sails but it is going to look really good I'm sure. I just had a look at my AVS. Seeing your deck I was reminded that mine was as white as yours when I finished but now it is a yellow tone (which I like) must be a slow reaction between the lacquer (Testors Dullcote) and UV light. I wonder if you'll see that change too.

A great AVS model you have there mate.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thanks Alistair! I'll look at those lower ratlines, maybe tie them and see how they look. I must say, the ratlines over the deadeye lashings is more difficult as you must get it aligned on the first clinch since you cannot slide it or adjust it after its tight.

I haven't noticed much in color change on the decks, I used minwax waterbase satin finish for all the wood. It will be interesting to see what it does over time. I like it because there is no intense odor or fumes, it smells a bit like armourall tire treatment.

Ken

The ratlines are complete and I'm very happy with the results B)

I also added one additional row on each side below the cleats per Alistair's suggestion.

I found the clove hitches worked very well and retained their tightness until locked with dilluted white glue, and I was able to trim the tag ends very close.

I also used .012 black line instead of the .021 per the instructions for better size contrast and more accurate sizing.

Confession: I decided not to serve the standing rigging on this build, but will try it in future builds :o I plan to invest in the serving machine in the near future.

I'll install the Topmast fore and aft stays and then I need to set up and install the main sail.

I'll probably have her rigged on (at my best laymans guess) a port tack? Where the main and fore sails are rigged to the port side and the top sail angled with the starboard side forward.

I'm probably going to stiffen/shape the sails a bit with hairspray while a fan is blowing on them.

Please provide info if my terminology is wrong, thanks! :piratetongueor4:

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Your ship is amazing.  I love the little cannons.  Most of the comments on here are way above my head.  Hopefully, one day I will know what you guys are talking about.

People sew sails for model ships?  Heck, I know how to sew.  That may be one of the things I would be good at. ;)   How can I get a sample of a sewn sail?

Kimberly,

There is a thread in the rigging forum that talks about sewing your own sails. I hope to have my mainsail complete in the next week or so.

Thanks,

Ken

Ken,

Great job. I've got this kit on order so your build log has been a great motivator. Your tips and advice will come in handy. I do have a question. Did you use the deck plank material that was supplied or did you replace it?

Thanks,

Rob

Current build : Triton cross section 1:48

Rob,

Thanks for the feedback! I have lots of build ref docs I can email you, just let me know. I replaced the deck planking with Holly from Hobbymill. The planks were a pleasure to work with, very precise and no edge cleanup required. I did the caulking by painting the edges after cut n initial fit with black hull paint from Model Expo.

Ken

I thought it looked like holly. I really like the way it looks. The edges are so much sharper than basswood and the color is great too. I sent a PM with my email address for the build reference docs. I'll take any help I can get!

Edited by rjones726

Current build : Triton cross section 1:48

• 3 weeks later...

The Mainsail is hung, but I still have a bit of rigging to complete on it. The sails a lot more work than I expected, but the look is rewarding, though a far cry from perfection, those other sail fabrication posts make it look too easy! The bolt rope are just about impossible and not very visible, so they will be left off the remaining sails, and the zigzag stitch will form the edges. I attached the reef lines with a single half-hitch sewn through the sail, then had to stiffen/straiten them by isolating/holding them strait with masking tape and applying dilluted PVA. I'm undecided whether to attempt putting some wind shape into the sails or just leave them as-is, will see how they look when more are added.

Ken

post-876-0-33739000-1386076357_thumb.jpg

post-876-0-56255400-1386076359_thumb.jpg

post-876-0-46439800-1386076361_thumb.jpg

post-876-0-79793700-1386250564_thumb.jpg

Edited by BareHook

Beautiful little boat. If I were you, I would stiffen the sails and put some wind in them. Another advantage of stiffened sails is that it holds your running rigging tight and with less slack.

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Hmmm, with regards to keeping running rigging tight, how do I keep the traveler tight to the portside and the boom taught against that?

As far as stiffening, I tend to agree. The sail looks good, but the wrinkles stand out in photos. I just need to figure out the best method, I'm thinking either spray starch or brush on dilluted PVA and shape it with a blow drier.

Any suggestions? I know I should have done it before it was hung, but I got on a roll last nite.

Thanks

Ken

Hi Ken, this post here is a link to my Viking ship which shows how I stiffened my sails. I soaked it with a dilute solution of 40% white glue then hung it to dry:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4311-viking-ship-drakkar-by-amfibius-amati-scale-150/?p=130603

This links to my HMS Bounty, completed 6 years ago. The sails were stiffened with the same method:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/image/5688-241c8923-ps/

I don't mind the wrinkles, I like the way it looks. In fact, I crushed the sails with the Bounty to add more wrinkles.

How to keep the rigging taut - after you lay out all the running rigging, tie it loosely around the belaying pins. Once all the rigging is done for that sail, tighten them one by one to take up the slack.

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Ken:

The sail looks good. The wrinkles are not that noticeable. I think they add some character to your sail. Nice work.

Russ

• 3 weeks later...

Jim,

Yes they are magnets. I got the idea from the "Ship modeling for dummies" site. They are very usefull for keeping the planks aligned until the glue dries. Once you are down to the last couple planks, you can no longer use them as there is a mating magnet on the inside that must be removed. I found they were a lot easier to use than pins or clamps. I did all my planking with "Weldbond" and didn't have to use any CA ahdesive, which I preferred as it allowed me to do small adjustments before a fixture cure of the adhesive.

All,

Please feel free to ask about any previous steps or images and I can expand on how I did the process.

Ken

Sorry - dumb Q alert!

Do you just use the magnets to hold each plank to the adjacent plank?  I.E. the magnet is not holding the plank to the bulkhead/frame directly?

Thank,

Brett

For anyone planning to build the AVS, I have planking spreadsheets and a lot of building documentation I can email to you. They were originally provided to me from Peter Jaquith, whose build of the AVS provided much inspiration to me.

Ken

Hi,

Can I get a copy of these if they are still available, please?

Cheers,

Brett

Edited by ortho85

Brett:

Like it or not, you just gave the entire world your email address. I would suggest you go back and edit your post to take out your email information and then send it through a PM which the entire world cannot see. :)

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my sailmaker to complate the topsail. I must say, anyone who has done sails for a full square rigged ship, my hats off to you!

I'm overall happy with the results, but it was certainly challenging.

I shaped the sail, then stiched it to the topsail yard and then loosly rigged it to the spreader yard.

I then hung this assembly with the topsail yard halyard and attached the yard parrels.

Next the spreader yard jeers.

Then I did the sheets, clewlines, and lifts.

I then added two buntlines which I cleated at the spare shroud cleats #3.

Finally I did the Braces for both yards.

I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel, just 3 foresails, rope coils, swivels and final clean/touchup.

Ken

post-876-0-56989900-1389274508_thumb.jpg

post-876-0-20762200-1389274511_thumb.jpg

post-876-0-45857400-1389274512_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I think I may be approaching the "home stretch". All the sails are hung and filled with wind to the best of my abilities and the colors are aloft.

Now is time for coils and more coils, what a messy crew leaving all the lines everywhere! :10_1_10:

I stiffened and shaped all the sails with dilluted white glue. I attached the flags to the halyards with a tiny bead of CA.

I think all thats left to do are the coils, installing the swivel guns and any final clean-up and touch-ups. :cheers:

Ken

post-876-0-12655600-1392036461_thumb.jpg

post-876-0-74120200-1392036561_thumb.jpg

post-876-0-09455300-1392036564_thumb.jpg

post-876-0-37082400-1392036565_thumb.jpg

post-876-0-57508200-1392036567_thumb.jpg