MORDAUNT 1681 by NMBROOK - Euromodel - 1:60 - Beyond Bashed

Nigel,

Nice clamps  :D  :D  :D

I try to follow what you are doing but for me it's gonna be difficult !

My reading English is not that good so I will see what you are doing on the way.

Maybe when I aks something and you have told that before  sorry for that.

I understand that those deck beams has to be shorted ?

You replace them from the kit .

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

That's some very clever modifications there Nigel. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

Hi Sjors

I have changed the bulkheads to make it easier for me later to produce the feature I want.I have taken a picture of a Navy Board model to show you what I mean.If you look where my 'Arrow' is pointing you will see that the hull frames are left open between the upper wales.This is the feature I want to replicate.I would have had to chop pieces of the plywood away later using the full kit bulkhead but replacing them now is easier.If it wasn't for this 'detail' I could have kept the bulkheads as they were.This is also the reason I have changed to single planking,I had worked out how to do it with double planking but it was just making the job complicated.Please feel free to ask all the questions you like.

Kind Regards Nigel

P.s.I have a large supply of the clamps,I could do you a special deal ;)  :D  :D  :D

post-1641-0-60681100-1392063411_thumb.jpg

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Ingenious approach, Nigel.  As one who loves a good bash, I may be late to the party, but I'm pulling up a chair.post-76-0-07496500-1392103449.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ingenious approach, Nigel.  As one who loves a good bash, I may be late to the party, but I'm pulling up a chair.attachicon.gifm1242.gif

Thank you Mark :) Yes,you are more than welcome to follow along,Is that Sjors' popcorn? :D  :D

Kind Regards Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

Its about time some of you fellow modellers have a serious look at Euromodel kits. They are the best in the business. 

I always knew they were good Brian,if we hadn't have lost our UK dealer for so many years I would have built one along time ago.One thing though,that even shocked me,John Franklin,in his book,lists the timber and room as 2ft 2in according to the builders model,the bulkheads match this!!!This was another reason for swapping to the Pear inserts.

Kind Regards Nigel

Nigel,your approach to 'bashing' a kit is ingeneous, thoughtful and well researched. You mention the loss of a UK dealer that sold Euromodel kits and that is a pity. However, are people aware that these kits can be purchased direct from Euromodel in Como, Italy ? I purchased my first kit from them and was pleasantly surprised how little time it took to arrive in Australia.

Pete

Thanks for the explanation Nigel.

Now I know what you are doing and what you mean.

I place all over MSW a popcorn machine so maybe Mark was somewhere else and take a bag with him  :D  :D

He also have make a few sign with " RESERVE " on it.

So his chair will be his !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Nigel,your approach to 'bashing' a kit is ingeneous, thoughtful and well researched. You mention the loss of a UK dealer that sold Euromodel kits and that is a pity. However, are people aware that these kits can be purchased direct from Euromodel in Como, Italy ? I purchased my first kit from them and was pleasantly surprised how little time it took to arrive in Australia.

Pete

Thank you very much indeed Pete for your kind comments :) I can't speak for others,but I was aware that they could be bought direct.I was wary of doing this as in recent years Italy had been in economic turmoil.I Know Uk suppliers for the other Italian manufactures had experienced great unreliability in orders they had made.As I don't have credit cards I was concerned that any order would be fulfilled.I know this period in Italy's economic climate has now passed,but at one stage there was no government in place and riots on the street!I am elated that Euromodels has ridden out this rough time as I am sure that many companies in Italy have been forced to close throughout this period.I know the situation has changed now,but as we now have a UK dealer this is  of little matter.

Kind Regards Nigel

A sad reflection on that beautiful country Nigel, I was there only a few months ago and can highly recommend it for a visit!, I understand that many 'eBayers' are reluctant to deal with sellers there too! but my understanding was that the reason given being the Postal System is VERY unreliable (and that's being nice) A problem that goes back a long time before the financial crisis too.

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Yes, I have heard comments like that as well about Italy but Euromodel works through a private carrier system (FedEx) and not the usual postal system. That is a TOTALLY RELIABLE way of sending/ receiving goods and that is why I have received a kit from them so quickly. eBay is one thing but commercial trade is another  !

Pete

• 1 month later...

I have decided to give myself a short break from the small fiddly stuff on my Caroline build and take up where I left off with this.I am continuing on with infilling the hull with limewood.The sections are cut from 20mm sheet.Not much to show,but work shall be continuing on over the next week or two.As I mentioned earlier the bulkheads have been altered to use 1.5mm single planking.The wales will be 3mm ebony,but I am considering splicing the planks at the waterline,ebony above and box below.I do not want to use holly or maple for the 'whitestuff' because I will already have pear,box and ebony and I personally feel that is enough colour variation,any more and it will be too much.

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-51962100-1396209638_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-20302000-1396209656_thumb.jpg

Her shape is just about starting to come through now mate ( BTW what is 'Splicing the Planking at the Waterline' ? :huh: Just when I thought I had a handle on this planking lark you spring 'Plank Splicing' on me !! :(  :(  :(  ^_^  )

All The Best Nigel

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Cheers mate :) Now to try and explain what I mean :D  :D  :D To my knowledge,Bill Short's Sovereign is the only model on this forum to use this technique so far.On Mordaunt the wales were black but so was the hull down to the waterline.Basically the black area is planked like normal in ebony,the waterline marked and the planking cut off to this line.Boxwood is then used below,however the individual plank runs must line up with each other.This gets more complicated on this build as a small section of the lower wale dips below the waterline.So there is also a section of wale to replace with boxwood.This is the extreme end of 'painting with wood'Hope this helps explain,just have a look a Bill's log if you aren't sure..

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks Nigel.. I think I have you now, especially when you mentioned the Ebony & Boxwood, I can picture the Wale dipping below the waterline but that its colouring is using Ebony to the W/L.

Looking forward to seeing this done !

Sail 'er Easy

Eamonn

First Plank Splicing & we're Painting With Wood Now.. think I'll pack it in and do something simple like Amateur Neurosurgery !! ^_^  

Thanks buddy :) Really looking forward to doing it as it is a new challenge for me ;) I have a very,very cunning plan up my sleeve(sorry for sounding like Blackadder :D  :D )to machine the ebony planking in situ to the waterline ;)  ;) All will be revealed when I get to that stage,but needless to say,she won't fit in the miller :D  :D  :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

Ahhhh I have a cunning plan milord.. Classic Baldrick, we won't mention the 'Dream Turnip'  ..

Looking Forward to Your Solutions Nigel.

Take It Easy

Eamonn

Hi Nigel, I'm still not quite sure where you are going with this, but it all looks very impressive!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Looking forward to seeing your cunning plan Nigel (or should I say, Blackadder?)- I'll bet its so cunning, we could pin a tail on it and call it a fox.

As work is moving well on the construction of my Caroline build,preliminary work is now starting on my next'bill paying' project.This is based on the Euromodel kit,but it is my intention to push the boundaries of what can be achieved with a kit.I shall be using construction techniques for the hull that have been developed by myself,specifically for this build.The completed model shall include the following details;

1/hull planking in boxwood and ebony

2/hull planking omitted between the upper wales with false boxwood frames,this is a feature on quite a few Navy board models which I am quite fond of and an alternative from a fully framed build.

3/Full hull interior,lower gun deck upwards,with planking sections omitted on the upper decks for viewing the interior.

4/Remodelling of the stern to replicate the drawing by Van de Velde the Elder.

This project will be a 'slow burn' until Caroline is finished,but I am starting this log now to avoid missing anything as work progresses.I am trying to avoid starting another log with a planked hull :D  :D

Some photos to wet your appetite

attachicon.gifphoto_4.JPG

The box,rather heavy,given it's size

attachicon.gifHMSMordaunt.jpg

Mordaunt by Van de Velde the elder

Kind Regards Nigel

Nigel,

nice to see that you are challenging a beautiful 17 th century build, and all in scale 1/60. !

Together with your Initial introduction lines, giving the own set obligations, this is going to be a very ambitious Project but a wonderful repesentant of early shipbuilding art. I looked at your log to date up to page 5 and find it of highest interest for Close following...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50