MORDAUNT 1681 by NMBROOK - Euromodel - 1:60 - Beyond Bashed

Thank you very much indeed Ferret,Matti and Vivian for your very kind words :) I am actually quite happy I have some definitive gunport sizes to work to Matti :D It is nice not to have to make an educated guess based on a 350 year old piece of art :D .I think if I were to build Vasa mate,some standardization would have to be adopted for each deck ;)

A small high today in that the first of my timber orders has arrived,downside is I hadn't ordered any for a few months and had forgotten how expensive this stuff is :o  :o

I think it will be a while mate before you see her planked as the 'itch' to get stuck back in on Caroline is starting to appear.I did need a little break from her though as my drive was going a little stale.I would have just spent four times longer doing jobs than I would normally.Not only that I have Chucks lovely rope and blocks staring at me wanting a home :D  :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Still waiting for Timber, I wonder wot that feels like ?  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

At least it is beginning to arrive eh ! :rolleyes:

Am looking forward to your next post of you using the shiny new timber !

All The Best Nigel

E

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Nigel,

Your work just keeps getting more and more beautiful as you go along. 

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thank you everyone for your very kind comments and thank you for all the 'likes' :blush:  :)  :) .'News Flash' re timber order,it is at the sorting office awaiting collection as I was out at the time :rolleyes: Postie must be avoiding me Eamonn :D  :D

My timber order reflects the small revision I have made to my plans.Originally I was going for all boxwood with ebony and a little pear detailing.After staring at Frolich's book for hours in the research department,i.e. bath :D  :D I have come to the conclusion he got it pretty much right.I am retaining boxwood for the decks and below the waterline but using pear instead for above the Ebony 'waist'.This entails another small revision,but it is work I would have to do in part anyway.All the infill will need capping off between the frames on the exposed section.I propose to do this with black marquetry veneer.To use ebony would mean machining right down in thickness and to be honest would probably want to disintegrate at the 0-6mm thickness that I can buy veneer in.I have another cunning plan to ensure this all lines through perfectly ;) That will follow in time,got the ports to finish off and the other side to build to match first :huh:

Kind Regards

Nigel

I`m curious for the next sequences Nigel,

from keellaying to date , an exciting build..., Setting standards

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you very much indeed Nils :) Once the ports are complete,I will be building the otherside to match.My thought process is at the deck beam stage.I am thinking of using a technique of Russian master Dimitry Shevelev,in that the deck beams actually run through the hull and would finish flush with the hull surface as it is now.This gives accurate positive positioning and is stronger,but in no way would anything look any different when complete.Obviously the beam ends are covered once the outer planking is fitted.My thoughts are towards building a jig that goes on the miller to possibly machine the radius cuts top and bottom on the deck beams.This would be far more consistent than using the scrollsaw.

Kind Regards

Nigel

sounds very interesting Nigel,

would like to see how it works out..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you very much indeed Janos for your kind words :) I think you have hit the nail on the head.I totally agree,prior to the hull taking shape,all the pics I have seen of this model make her look a little 'slab sided'.Even the photos of the NMM model aren't taken from angles that show the shape of the hull.I am certain it will bring some fun and games when it comes to plank spiling below the waterline,particularly at the bow.Also there is a good chance the front section of the lower main wale will need to be carved out of a solid piece of Ebony.These work out at 3mm thick and as there is a twist in this section,due to the pronounced 'turn under' of the hull,I don't think a will be able to bend it that far.

Kind Regards

Nigel

I have now fitted all the upper gunport cills.These have been faired off flush inside and out.The counter side timber has also been fitted,but the lower hull is still to shape at a later date.There is quite a bit of difference between kit and builders model in this area.Franklin states in his book that the stern balcony actually has a grated deck.The carvings below the balcony act as knees to support this deck and to a lesser extent the stern structure.This is not easily visible in pictures but after enlarging the NMM pics as much as possible it became clear how this construction worked.

This is a far as I am taking this side for now,work will commence on the port side.There a still some small round gunports to create for the poopdeck,but I am not confident to the actual finished level of this deck at the moment so they will be added a little later.

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-35807000-1399048800_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-14886500-1399048819_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-93473900-1399048843_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-79445400-1399048871_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-92776900-1399048902_thumb.jpg

Looks great Nigel - the first photo really shows the lines, much more interesting (and I'm assuming challenging) than the later ships.  Intrigued to see how the stern comes together.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Looks great Nigel - the first photo really shows the lines, much more interesting (and I'm assuming challenging) than the later ships.  Intrigued to see how the stern comes together.

Thank you very much indeed Jason :) Yes there are some quite complex compound shapes in this build.They are challenging but do add to the enjoyment as I am a gluton for punishment :D I am looking forward to the stern,this will be good fun,as both this and the beak have to be frank,'wacky' design details that are pretty much unique to this vessel.It will also be nice to loose the 'container ship' look I have at the moment.Sadly can't do anything with that until the other side is finished to the same level as the deck transom beam dictates the shape of the round tuck start point.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Fabulous work mate, really looking forward to see the round gunports, they are a big part of her look!

/Matti

Thank you very much indeed mate!There are only six round gunports,the ports I have just installed will have carved boxwood wreaths around them which give the rounded look.I am in a bit of a quandry in that whilst the builders model does not show lids on these ports,the rebates are there to take them.I feel though for this period and the location on the vessel,they would be two side hinged 'doors' rather than one top hinged lid.Decisions,decisions :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thank you very much indeed buddy :) I love that phrase,much more PC than the one I use :D  :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

It is indeed smashing stuff Nigel. Here's another phrase for you: it looks as flash as a rat with a gold tooth! :)

Nigel,

It's also the cat's whiskers – let alone his pyjamas! :)

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

The gunports are looking great. Truly precise work with great corners!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

The gunports are looking great. Truly precise work with great corners!

Thank you very much indeed Patrick :) I think the joint design and assembly procedure for the lower ports is something I shall carry forward and use on all my builds.Consistency to 5/100 mm is something I cannot achieve using traditional techniques.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thank you very much indeed Brian :) In total agreement with your there mate,these kits are a 'kit bashers' dream B)  B) I have probably got more enjoyment out of this build than any other!!.Already thinking of which one to do next :D  :D  :D but that maybe a while yet :huh: Royal William is definitely on the cards,but a serious think about whether to sell my plans and buy the complete kit or just get the castings from Italy is in order.I don't wish to embark on another mass carving project with that build,the only thing I would do is machine the windows out and fit boxwood frames ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Just a small but nevertheless important update.I am currently working on the other side but doing a little multitasking :huh:  :huh: In my last timber delivery,I had ordered some 6x4mm pear strip to see how successful it would be to bend the deck beams as apposed to cutting them.As a mentioned before these will penetrate the sides of the inner hull 'shell' and in effect be solidly anchored at the ends.I made a simple jig up to clamp the thoroughly soaked Pear strip in(tip here,soak until the pear no longer wants to float).I deliberately made the jig for double the camber to allow for some springback.Not only this but it is better to overbend and straighten rather than underbend.The radius was calculated using the formula shown in the pic.I thought i would include this as to my knowledge it hasn't been posted before.I clamped two strips in the jig at the same time on top of one another,Any more and it would start to make too big a difference to the radius.The question of whether these beams would be scarphed in the middle is in abeyance and I have posted another thread regarding this.Even if these will be scarphed,I thought it necessary to put the radius in before tapering as the bending properties would not be consistent with a tampered section. 

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-14046800-1399299075_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-94613500-1399299095_thumb.jpg

Nigel, are you planning on allowing the deck beams to be seen unpainted?

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne