Vasa by Karleop - FINISHED – Billing Boats – reviving a poorly built model

Hi friends:

Special mention to all the likes I received, there are very encouraging, Thanks to all of you.

Saludos, Karl

Hola Matti:

Indeed Matti, I am in the final steps and have an ambivalent feeling:  it gives happiness but at the same time sadness for finishing it.  

About weather, now it is really nice, sunny and temperatures between 20 and 30 °C and our coldest temperatures during winter are usually no less than 10°. (But in summer is really hot: 30 to 45°)

Saludos, Karl

Karl,

Yes nice idea (:-)

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi everyone:

After countless rigging I finished to place the sails on the foremast.

post-797-0-40094200-1416590391_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-49421800-1416590469_thumb.jpg

As you can see the lines are still not fixed because I expect to give them one last adjustment, and mainly because I changed some of the rigging following the pictures of the 1:10 model in Vasa´s museum.   Doing this, it was necessary to change the order of the position of the lines to avoid crossing lines to the belaying pins, and this operation was easier made on progress.

post-797-0-18390600-1416590440_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-93955000-1416590488_thumb.jpg

Thanks for watching,

Saludos, Karl

Hola!

Now I finished the main course sail.  In this case I select to have it partially folded for a more interesting view.  At first, I didn t know how to do it because the material in BB for sails is a little stiff and even with water it is not very maneuverable but finally it seems OK.  I also change some of the rigging of BB plans to the more logical 1:10 model in Vasa museum.

In behalf of the interested people I send some detailed pictures:

post-797-0-31192900-1417114977_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-04780600-1417115008_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-65373600-1417115045_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for the likes.

Saludos, Karl

Looking great, Karl. This is something I would never attempt to do: restore a badly started ship.

I have to take my hat off for what you've accomplished.

Saludos, amigo.

PS. I saw your daughter the other day. Very fine young lady. :)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Karl,

Again Beautiful build. Thanks for posting large format jpg.s helps so much in appreciating your excellent level of detail. I have made a folder of your rigging and sail photos, as I plan to use your work as an excellent guide. I hope that you don't mind (:-)  Looking forward to following your next build from Model Shipways.

su construcción es superlativo. Bien hecho!!

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Matti, Ulises, Frank and Michael:

Thanks to all for your kind words!!

Saludos, Karl

A sunday update:

One of the main differences I saw between the BB plans and the Clayton´s and museum Vasa pictures are the top mizzen stay and the lines that hold the spars of the main mast topsail to the mizzen mast (braces).  Unfortunately in the pictures is impossible to distinguish how are they fixed some of them.  So, I figured out how to install them thinking in a logical form.  Here you can see my solutions:

post-797-0-82880600-1417377450_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-20655600-1417377466_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-17943500-1417377480_thumb.jpg

Saludos, Karl

Hola:

I just finished installing the sails of the main mast.  As I mention before I made some changes in the rigging, adjusting more to the Vasa pictures than to the BB plans.

post-797-0-01783400-1417983935_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-76997500-1417983963_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-59705400-1417984012_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-32019300-1417984106_thumb.jpg

I haven´t fix the rigging threads yet, and I am waiting to finish all the sails to do that, because:

1) to facilitate the maneuver in putting the new lines,

2) due to the changes in the rigging some of the lines intersect each other, so it is necessary to change the place on the pinracks and this is more easy if you haven't fix the lines already and finally,

3) to make final adjustments to the tension of the yarns

post-797-0-87796600-1417984046_thumb.jpg

Next challenge: the mizzen sails. I will probably make a combination between the rigging shown in BB plans and Vasa pictures to have a more "logic" rigging.

Saludos, Karl

Dear WASA builders

After nærly 11 month "hard" work my ship hull becomes more and more complete.

I still follow yours and all other Wasa experts progress of this fantasic ship.

Without your help I never couldn't make it because the manual and drawing of Billing Boat is uncomplete and include many mistakes.

Thank you very much for your detailed photoraphs and descriptions

Now my question : How did you fasten fasten the gun ports, only by glue or how ??

I'm living in Denmark and I did seen the Wasa only 6 months after it was elevated from the ground of the Stockholm fjord and before there were build a museum.

Next year it is my plan to visit the museum.

Regards

Werner

post-9428-0-70213900-1418400590_thumb.jpg

post-9428-0-46063600-1418400641_thumb.jpg

Hola Werner:

Thanks for your comments!  About your question, I fixed the cannon ports only with glue (the "universal" type, that's serves to glue metal, wood, plastic, and so on) As an addition you can see my post  #87

Saludos, Karl

Hi friends:

Now I finished the Lateen sail of the mizzen mast, as usual I must to combine the information on the BB plans with the Vasa model pictures.  

post-797-0-84920900-1418669156_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-88451100-1418669170_thumb.jpg

There were several differences but the most relevant was the way to fix the front of the yard.  According to the BB plan the threads lay exactly on the sides of the upper part of the main stairs (the first behind the main mast), blocking them.  In the Vasa model pictures it can be seen that this lines are fixed to the main mast shroud, as I did.

post-797-0-07601500-1418669186_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-86910800-1418669127_thumb.jpg

Additionally I also had to add new belaying pins to fix the lines of this sail.

Thanks for all your likes,

Saludos, Karl

Hi friends:

Unlike the lateen sail where I used the rigging show in the Vasa model pictures, for the topsail of the mizzen I followed the BB plan, especially for the braces, because it seems to me a more logical arrangement. According to the pictures in Vasa´s museum,  the topsail braces are fixed on the lateen yard and in BB plan there are fixed on the main mast shrouds.

post-797-0-10173000-1419103735_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-17245600-1419105511_thumb.jpg

Also I have changed the main mast topgallant yard braces a little, due that they were interfering with the mizzen topsail (compare the next pictures, noting the mentioned braces with an arrow):

Before                                                                       After

post-797-0-33137400-1419104927_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-88206000-1419104737_thumb.jpg

It’s important to remark that is a good idea not to fix the lines of the sails and yards (braces, topping lifts, halyards, downhauls, buntlines, etc.) on the pin racks or belaying pins, because the order they are placed can be modified (as in my case) and it is important to avoid crossing lines.

post-797-0-15916000-1419103813_thumb.jpg

Saludos and Happy Holydays, Karl

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mates:

After almost two weeks of having all my family reunited for the Holidays and not having enough time to work on my ship I finally finished to place the sails on the bowsprit.  As with the other sails I have not fixed them permanently until I double check the correct tensions and locations of the rigging yarns.  Here some pictures:

post-797-0-77957000-1420847399_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-38697600-1420847411_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-30003200-1420847427_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-89483600-1420847438_thumb.jpg

Saludos and best wishes for this new year, Karl

Good God, Karl! Your Vasa is looking so very nice. I'm glad you live very far from me so there is no chance we enter the same contests!  :D  :D  :D

Feliz año a tí y los tuyos!!! :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Karl,

Your Vasa is as good as they get. Beautiful work !!! Your sails are some of the best scaled that I have seen. Hoping to create some that look close to yours when I "get there", I don't think that will be possible (:-(   -   (:-) But thanks so much for posting such great photos, you are helping many of us, as has been mentioned before.

Muchas Gracias

Michael

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Thank you Werner and Michael for your kind words.  Its nice to know that my pictures can be on some help to you.

Saludos, Karl

Good God, Karl! Your Vasa is looking so very nice. I'm glad you live very far from me so there is no chance we enter the same contests!  :D  :D  :D

Feliz año a tí y los tuyos!!! :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

Que tal Ulises,

yo make me laugh with your comments. It is really hard to compete with your wonderful work.

Saludos, Karl

Hola Friends:

Yesterday I begun knotting the threads to the belaying pins and after putting some of them I finished with my eyes red and crying.  This due that the difficulty to discern where is the thread you are looking for in between all the web of lines and at the same time not disturbing the lines that were already done!!!  But well, thats part of the hobby.

Frank, thank you for your words and I am waiting to see your work on the sails. :cheers:

Saludos, Karl

PD:  I really appreciated all the likes you give me.  Thank you all.    . :dancetl6:

Your billowing sails look great! How did you do that?

Hola Rich:

The fabric that comes with the kit was already a little stiff, maybe you can achieve the same stiffness using very diluted white glue or starch. Also the billowing can be achieved by the tension of the rigging lines.

Saludos, Karl