Passing ropes through blocks.

Jud,

What do is make the block and tackle and then paint the rope with a 50-50 mix of white glue and water. Matt varnish or lacquer will work also.  Suspend or stretch the assembly while drying.   The glue/water mix can also be used on lines that need to droop, etc.

The problem with this kind of approach is that the hole has to be big enough for two lines to go through.

Some of the blocks I am using just don't have enough space to drill the holes that big.

I simply smear a drop of CA glue to the end of the line (about 3/8 inch is enough) and trim the tip to a sharp point.
My threaders from Joann's are in a drawer somewhere.

You can buy these things for pennies at any department store Walmart, Target, etc) These are used by people with dental braces to pass dental floss through them. Long flexible stem, really wide eye and super resistant. I bought a bunch of these about 6-7 years ago and still have plenty.

Good, but when you pull the string, dental floss or whatever you want to use this way, you still have to pull two parts of the line through the round hole.

The threaders used by seamstresses are fine for them because the hole in the needle is elongated and not round like in our blocks, sheaves, etc.

post-246-0-81931700-1392266095_thumb.jpg

I like the idea, though, of using various dental gear. This is another one. I have been trying to get hold of a few small rubber bands like used in braces, but could only find them in batches of 100 for too much money. Of course, we all use tooth picks. ^_^

Edited by Modeler12

That's exactly what I was referring too, also.   It's not just the thickness of one line.  Your trying to draw four items through, the line doubled and two sides of whatever your using to draw.  The hole in the block now has to be three or four times larger than it should be.

Seems to me like your better off hardening the line with a drop of CA

That's exactly what I was referring too, also.   It's not just the thickness of one line.  Your trying to draw four items through, the line doubled and two sides of whatever your using to draw.  The hole in the block now has to be three or four times larger than it should be.

Seems to me like your better off hardening the line with a drop of CA

Kind of like I showed above, Henry! The hole in the spar is not too visible, but it is there.

I only have these size blocks to try but it works fine. The wire pictured is the Stonfo Bobbin threader (nice little tool by the way) and is 0.29mm. The Clover threaders arrived and they are much finer wires at 0.19! The "rope" is about 0.4.

IMGP2245_zps5df331d0.jpg

Aside from working well and not needing to do anything to the rope the threader also holds onto the block for you while the rope is threaded.

Not sure I'll use these particular blocks but I'll start another thread about that...