Passing ropes through blocks.

Nice little tool - did you make it? I sometimes use the needle threaders you can buy in any sewing shop. I find that dipping the end of the line in a bit of CA works just as well and can be easier in those hard to reach places

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

Hi.

Like Craig I also use needle threaders but I bend the ends over then nip the holder onto the wire then I CA the wires.

Used to pull the wires out of the threaders so come up with the above methed.

But I do like the idea of the nice handle :)

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Jud,

What do is make the block and tackle and then paint the rope with a 50-50 mix of white glue and water. Matt varnish or lacquer will work also.  Suspend or stretch the assembly while drying.   The glue/water mix can also be used on lines that need to droop, etc.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

interesting link - what are we looking for?

:huh:  Sorry, I was trying to give a link to a threader like in the first post. Seems like the site only jumps to front page. Please ignore. :(

(It's under "Fly Tying Tools", page 7, Stonefly Bobbin threader)

Edited by puckotred

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Nuestra Senora del Pilar - Occre

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Santissima Trinidad cross section - Occre

I was wondering as well Craig. Think it may be this:http://www.taimen.com/en/se/product/stonefly-bobbin-threader_99931416/103887

Got it now - I was figuring out why I needed waders to thread a line :D

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

I'll stick to my little dab of low viscosity SG so quick and not fiddly at all sorry guys - this is gizmos for the sake of it to me.

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

The problem with this kind of approach is that the hole has to be big enough for two lines to go through.

Some of the blocks I am using just don't have enough space to drill the holes that big.

I simply smear a drop of CA glue to the end of the line (about 3/8 inch is enough) and trim the tip to a sharp point.
My threaders from Joann's are in a drawer somewhere.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

You can buy these things for pennies at any department store Walmart, Target, etc) These are used by people with dental braces to pass dental floss through them. Long flexible stem, really wide eye and super resistant. I bought a bunch of these about 6-7 years ago and still have plenty.

post-975-0-42454800-1392245111_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-47737000-1392245125_thumb.jpg

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

You can buy these things for pennies at any department store Walmart, Target, etc) These are used by people with dental braces to pass dental floss through them. Long flexible stem, really wide eye and super resistant. I bought a bunch of these about 6-7 years ago and still have plenty.

Good, but when you pull the string, dental floss or whatever you want to use this way, you still have to pull two parts of the line through the round hole.

The threaders used by seamstresses are fine for them because the hole in the needle is elongated and not round like in our blocks, sheaves, etc.

post-246-0-81931700-1392266095_thumb.jpg

I like the idea, though, of using various dental gear. This is another one. I have been trying to get hold of a few small rubber bands like used in braces, but could only find them in batches of 100 for too much money. Of course, we all use tooth picks. ^_^

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

That's exactly what I was referring too, also.   It's not just the thickness of one line.  Your trying to draw four items through, the line doubled and two sides of whatever your using to draw.  The hole in the block now has to be three or four times larger than it should be.

Seems to me like your better off hardening the line with a drop of CA

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

That's exactly what I was referring too, also.   It's not just the thickness of one line.  Your trying to draw four items through, the line doubled and two sides of whatever your using to draw.  The hole in the block now has to be three or four times larger than it should be.

Seems to me like your better off hardening the line with a drop of CA

Kind of like I showed above, Henry! The hole in the spar is not too visible, but it is there.

Jay

My dental thingies have worked for me 98 times out of 100. Of course, no tool can do everything!  B)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I only have these size blocks to try but it works fine. The wire pictured is the Stonfo Bobbin threader (nice little tool by the way) and is 0.29mm. The Clover threaders arrived and they are much finer wires at 0.19! The "rope" is about 0.4.

IMGP2245_zps5df331d0.jpg

Aside from working well and not needing to do anything to the rope the threader also holds onto the block for you while the rope is threaded.

Not sure I'll use these particular blocks but I'll start another thread about that...