Halifax 1768 by MEDDO - FINISHED - Lauck Street Shipyard - 1/4" scale

Thank you Dave.  And thanks for all the likes everyone.

I'm now in the process of building all of these items off the ship as I do as soon as I attatch something to the hull it's probably going to break off when I move it around.  Once everything is completely built and painted up that I will have an "attachment party". 

A couple days ago I cut up some black paper and taped it to the wales  to see how it looked. I kind of liked it however I am a little bit concerned about painting it black as the wood has already seen some wipe on poly.  After seeing Bob's Halifax post  where he painted it i've decided I really like it.  I will test out there small piece of the leftover wood this weekend. Will use the wipe on poly let it dry and then I will lightly sand it and then paint it to see how it comes out. 

Here are a few pictures with and without. 

IMG_4033.thumb.JPG.3d294bf1063c43bf73b5229520209246.JPGIMG_4035.thumb.JPG.35647e8c367aeb6fca32c17797edc3a0.JPG

p.s. I'm going to have to give up my super awesome model stand blocks that I've been using for the last few years and figure something more permanent for the final mounting.

Wales painted tonight.  

IMG_4039.jpg.b4a37a2c9a3702cd6ea2d2523af4ce34.jpg

I also had to shorten the deadeye chains as the first set was way too long.  They ended up on the wales.  Was pretty simple to cut out a few mm and then re-solder the pieces back together.  Some of these new skills are pretty handy.

Thanks Steve, Bob, Rossi and B.E. and for all the likes. 

The additional contrast looks really nice in person. All of the wood tones were very close in color.  Although next time I think I'll do it properly and paint/stain it prior to adding the wood.  

So here is the beginning of the end.  When connecting the metal to the wood I used a drop of CA and unfortunately a bit leaked out but overall to the naked eye it looks pretty good.

IMG_4041.jpg.b399bd55263fcc0160f883c27c28ea21.jpg

overall should of made the straps much longer but this was all of the brass strip included in the kit. Next time....

IMG_4042.thumb.jpg.0adc86de64d46f0719576b4920f90ab5.jpg

Thanks Dave.  

I think I have only an hour or two until I can call it complete.  

My super awesome foam stand has to be replaced with something more suitable.  And I need to order up some rope (to rig anchors) as the stuff supplied is total garbage.  The kit has overall been great but when I pulled out the rope I found it is pretty much post office packing twine....yuk.

Plans/instructions want me to put pin rails up on the railing but it seems flimsy/wrong.  seems like the lower position would be better.  Will have to look at Hahn's model and see if I can tell what he did.

IMG_4061.thumb.jpg.524f0f2032c347ec448f7889180c42db.jpg

IMG_4060.thumb.jpg.dd2a7af9ac537d4554e2e75c16933ac3.jpg

The only image I could find was from The Colonial Schooner 1763-1775 by Harold Hahn (Naval Institute Press) page 136.  Looks like they go right through the rail here.

IMG_4064.thumb.jpg.204beeade0d26c662aa29fd418930433.jpg

Pretty much done now.  Still have to replace the packing twine to rig the anchors and get the baseboard set up.

IMG_4067.thumb.jpg.2b53831d18691e0a1ad0daf68a16cff5.jpg

4 hours ago, rafine said:

Looks great Michael. You have every reason to be proud of this work. 

Bob

Thanks Bob.   It's been a great learning experience.