Halifax 1768 by MEDDO - FINISHED - Lauck Street Shipyard - 1/4" scale

Windlass is going to take a while.  These parts are very small for my giant and clumsy hands. 

post-12080-0-65108500-1403504380_thumb.jpg

post-12080-0-57247800-1403504381_thumb.jpg

Here is the main hatch grating before final finish sanding.

post-12080-0-73303600-1403504379_thumb.jpg

Heck Michael! And I was complaining about my little QD skylight. That is amazingly small work. Will troll back through your log now - if you can pull that off you can do anything!

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

I am in agreement with all of the above, the grating looks fantastic

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks Alistair, I just hope I don't sneeze when I have these all laid out like that.

Bob, hands aren't so bad (I can deal) but I am rapidly finding out that the presbyopia is catching up with me :)

Grant after seeing the scale of your pinnace, these parts are gigantic by comparison.

Thank you Pete, I am going to curve and then edge the grating today.

Thanks Jax.  I think the design is really nice.  I cant think about how hard it would be to carve 8 sides then taper the ends from a single piece of stock.  

Jax, When I was getting back into modeling a few weeks ago I was intrigued by this build.  I have a variety of ships on the shelf but the instructions here were so good.  I agree with the satisfying level of difficulty but "not too much" for a beginner like me.  

Jax, I am surprised this didn't sell so well. It has been great so far. I really wish I had picked up a Kingfisher when I had the chance.

Edited by MEDDO

More on the windlass

post-12080-0-13746900-1403842329_thumb.jpg

more pieces

post-12080-0-25801100-1403842334_thumb.jpg

post-12080-0-71663200-1403842330_thumb.jpg

Before and after for the "legs"

post-12080-0-41870400-1403842335_thumb.jpg

"Legs" fitted

post-12080-0-46967300-1403842336_thumb.jpg

And here is a dry fit of the main deck.

post-12080-0-96669600-1403842332_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Lovely work, Michael.  Impressive looking windlass.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Meddo

I just wanted to let you know there is another owner of the Halifax kit out there living your log.  My kit sits in is beautiful box waiting for me to have the nerve.   I am enjoying reading each step and I love H Hahn's books.

I am, currently focused on Maine schooners but plan to do Halifax in the Kit followed by Hannah scratch.

best regards

Sure looks good from where I'm sitting. Hope to some day have a Halifax on my bench that looks half that nice

Thank you very much Carl. It has been a great journey so far.

Cheers

Meddo

I just wanted to let you know there is another owner of the Halifax kit out there living your log.  My kit sits in is beautiful box waiting for me to have the nerve.   I am enjoying reading each step and I love H Hahn's books.

I am, currently focused on Maine schooners but plan to do Halifax in the Kit followed by Hannah scratch.

best regards

Thank you Jond.  I certainly want to see another one of these in a build log :)   Hahn's book has been a great supplemental to this build for me.  (I also like the Hannah)

Gun carriages.  Seemed to come out ok.  As I am going to only plank up one side I only need three but will probably make all six just to have spares for when I try to rig them haha.

post-12080-0-41212700-1404019118_thumb.jpgpost-12080-0-37898400-1404019119_thumb.jpg

post-12080-0-21010200-1404019116_thumb.jpg

Hi Michael, the gun Carriages look great , I would make all 6 and choose the best 3 . Beautifully done nice work

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Just a few small steps today.  Still have to recut the gun ports, sand and smooth the deck and bulwarks.

post-12080-0-73754300-1404450913_thumb.jpg