Halifax 1768 by MEDDO - FINISHED - Lauck Street Shipyard - 1/4" scale

Got fed up with the packing twine so ordered some Syren rope from Chuck.  It is VERY nice.  Should be able to rig the anchors today.

Here is a pic of the thrash twine vs Chuckrope!

IMG_4076.jpg.47b700c2b66bae9f20811f08db62199c.jpg

Thanks Dave! It would be great to see another LSS Halifax being built.  I still have a LSS Fair America and eventually plan on getting to that one.  However I'm going to go back to a few regular kits for to hone some skills.  After getting my hands on some of the Syren rope I don't believe that I'll be using any kit supplied anymore. 

• 3 months later...

Still alive.  Finally got some time in the shop.  I really didn't like the kit supplied stand.  It was a "barrel" about 1 cm in diameter that had a small slot cut in it which you are instructed to use epoxy to glue them to the base.  Seemed way too unstable so I used some scrap wood and traced the outline of 2 frames from the plans onto it and made something a bit more stable.  

IMG_4263.jpg.fd9f6badc9e15a0d9d74815c2b23284d.jpg

Will seal and finish them and decide if I like this board or need to get another one.

IMG_4264.jpg.42a816f210a784feec3616419a2b4b72.jpg

One thing, I am not sure if the feet on the base should be so wide....

edit:  Forgot to show the old stand picture.

IMG_4265.jpg.43125f192e5e72acc5117c1927c09fa6.jpg

Edited by MEDDO

Very good looking model Michael !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks Bob Nils and Dave for the comments and others for the likes.   The new stand is so much more stable and I feel so much better about it. 

Once it stops raining I will try to get some better pictures outside for better lighting.  The iPhone is ok for general pictures but not so great in lower lighting.

IMG_4266.thumb.jpg.318b869a7ab29bed64c88533bd394148.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to pick up the case I had made by Speciality Plastics in Hamilton Ohio.  It was nice to be able to save on the shipping costs.  I opted for the mdf base instead of the black or white acrylic base.  Now I have to decide on the finish for the mdf. Due to the porous nature of the end cuts its recommended to seal it before final finishing.  Then I need to decide to leave it natural, stain or paint it.

The case is really nice and they had a fast 2 day turnaround.

IMG_4296.thumb.jpg.70e4752e62fa4c2c4e00e5fb61f8a294.jpg

IMG_4297.thumb.jpg.fa093558a3deee377cb2fb73be894612.jpg

Congrats Michael. She is a beautiful piece of work and looks great in her new home. BTW, is that Constitution in the background now ready to come off "on hold"?

Bob

21 minutes ago, rafine said:

Congrats Michael. She is a beautiful piece of work and looks great in her new home. BTW, is that Constitution in the background now ready to come off "on hold"?

Bob

Thanks Bob.  I have been contemplating a smaller build next maybe Pinnace or Longboat.  Definitely a Chuck Barge when available.  The Constitution is probably going to be on a part-time basis for now.  I had a build log on MSW1 and maybe if I repost the photos then I may be inspired to get back into it.

27 minutes ago, Tigersteve said:

Looks great and nice case. What are the dimensions and price if you don't mind me asking?

Steve

Thanks Steve.  Its 20x8x8 and was $80.  So not too bad.  Their website has a calculator for any size you can think of.  I think the larger sizes get pretty expensive but not sure how they compare to others.  For example I put in 62x24x36inch case (seems pretty big to me) came out as $496....

• 2 months later...

Somehow I missed much of this log. Went back to play catch up.   Looks wonderful, especially in her case. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Somehow I missed much of this log. Went back to play catch up.   Looks wonderful, especially in her case. 

Thanks Mark.  It was a pretty nice kit.  

Thank you for sharing this build.  I am starting to move into these 18th century schooners . I have read some of the history and have a few kits to play with.  I can't wait to get going and shall start right after the holidays, and you log is a great help

Thanks for sharing

Happy holidays

Jon

Thanks Jon.  There are a bunch of great logs here.  Lots of learning going on.  I also like the smaller ships as well and would like to see your work when you start it.  

9 hours ago, Jond said:

Thank you for sharing this build.  I am starting to move into these 18th century schooners . I have read some of the history and have a few kits to play with.  I can't wait to get going and shall start right after the holidays, and you log is a great help

Thanks for sharing

Happy holidays

Jon

A bit earlier time frame but the book The Sloop of War by Ian McLaughlin has lots of great info.

Congrats Michael,

very nice looking build...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I’m partial to colonial schooners also.  I am working on “Independence “ now, and I have the LSS Halifax in the queue.  I’m planning a scratch built  “Hannah”in 1:24 scale also.  All schooners all the time!  Nice job on this build, Michael!

5 hours ago, DocBlake said:

I’m partial to colonial schooners also.  I am working on “Independence “ now, and I have the LSS Halifax in the queue.  I’m planning a scratch built  “Hannah”in 1:24 scale also.  All schooners all the time!  Nice job on this build, Michael!

1:24 scale I love it!  Bigger is better I think.  I definitely prefer the smaller ships.  Anything larger than the big frigates while interesting are just not for me.