HMS Victory by robipod - Caldercraft - 1805 version - first build

It will look great Rob. Are they the right thickness? If not I have a thickness sander you could use.

Are any of you getting emails that someone has posted comments? I'm not getting any notification by email of any topics that I'm following. I used to get them all the time.

I do get the notifications on email. Are you sure you got the settings accordingly, because you can opt to receive them by mail or not.

Superb use of modern technologies.... Just one for you, there are some brilliant strip led units that can now be purchased for marine fish tanks, I use them myself to bring the correct light spectrums for my corals. They also do led strips that create lightning strikes which would work brilliantly when making guns look like they are firing. I use to add interiors to my model aircraft where you would get a real cabin look when looking through the windows, great model set up for sure.

Current build: Caldercraft 1:64 HM Brig Supply

Finished builds: HMS Endeavours longboat

I'm off to the fish store to look. Great idea Telp. Wait, where does one find live fish? Your idea also made me think of a case for the ship. Maybe a fish tank might work. With no water and fish :) Have to look up a place here in Calgary. hmmm

Rob in Calgary

Port racing stripe installed on quarterdeck. The wood colour changed when I sanded it down. You can see the difference with the starboard pieces not yet installed. Hmmm... Wonder why it changed. Oops it changed because I sanded it down. Wonder how I can get that starboard colour back.

post-1276-0-47849500-1455838954_thumb.jpg

post-1276-0-16347400-1455839670_thumb.jpg

Edited by robipod

Rob in Calgary

I tried to put in a new email so I could start receiving notices again . It failed. After intervention by Jim he got my original credentials working a few hours later. Lost a couple posts in the process.. :( Will post some stuff later this weekend to catch up. My thanks to him for getting me going again. BTW I could not get a verification email to a Microsoft account I've had for years. I should have left the email alone lol.

Edited by robipod

Rob in Calgary

Here are the final embedded pieces, plus Certificate ( :)). The quarterdeck has been weathered with ferrous sulphate in water. Will seal the deck with clear satin water based varathane tomorrow. Want to let the deck completely dry before sealing.

Not sure that I can ever do anything with the piece from 1815 refit that I've placed on deck. It will just have to sit with the other piece in the final case.

post-1276-0-25912400-1456013761_thumb.jpg

post-1276-0-54136300-1456013776_thumb.jpg

post-1276-0-58944400-1456024179_thumb.jpg

Edited by robipod

Rob in Calgary

Quarterdeck brushed with three coats of "varathane diamond wood finish satin water based crystal clear"

The colour seems to change depending on how the outside light from the window bounces off the deck. Check the colour change from the yellow reflection of the foremast on the deck.

post-1276-0-03394000-1456189686_thumb.jpg

post-1276-0-64669000-1456189698_thumb.jpg

Edited by robipod

Rob in Calgary

Thanks Lawrence. Have been trying to catch up!  Was really busy all last year and couldn't muster the enthusiasm to get past the upper gun deck.  Will keep on going!  I find it very relaxing this year.  Probably be a useful of last year's non shipyard activity. :)

Rob in Calgary

Rob it would seem to make life so much easier. I assume there's not much of a bend that you'll have to worry about with such a short piece of bulwarks.

Best, Ian

Very little Ian. The clamps appear to deal with it okay. I am going to put some type of waterway on the deck so will fix any gap. But I don't see anything at this point. Maybe the longer ones will pose a problem. Not there yet. Maybe later this weekend will find out. Was thinking about the lower decks and wondering if it could be done too with their longer length. It might be worth looking at by someone who is at the earlier stage.

Rob in Calgary

• 2 weeks later...

Was not planning on led under poop deck. So much for planning. Made a start at planking the poop deck 'off ship'. It's flat now but it sure wasn't when I looked at it next morning. Painted the underside white to give it some moisture and clamped it down on the table top. Can't imagine the shape if I hadn't caught it next morning. Have left it to sit for a few weeks clamped to the desk while I complete a task away from the shipyard. Lol

I stopped planking where i am because i relized that i will have some difficulty nailing it to the crossbar if i plank the whole width. Will mount as is later and finish planking when deck is fixed.

I am not planning on lighting the three lanterns at the stern :)

Just placed items on deck to see how it will be and have to admit am pleased.

On another point i am not so sure I would put three coats on the deck of satin finish. It almost looks like a sheet of ice. Hmm maybe I will sand this deck a bit. Hope it doesn't wreck it.

post-1276-0-87554500-1457932758_thumb.jpg

Edited by robipod

Rob in Calgary

• 1 month later...

Was not planning on led under poop deck. So much for planning. Made a start at planking the poop deck 'off ship'. It's flat now but it sure wasn't when I looked at it next morning. Painted the underside white to give it some moisture and clamped it down on the table top. Can't imagine the shape if I hadn't caught it next morning. Have left it to sit for a few weeks clamped to the desk while I complete a task away from the shipyard. Lol

I stopped planking where i am because i relized that i will have some difficulty nailing it to the crossbar if i plank the whole width. Will mount as is later and finish planking when deck is fixed.

I am not planning on lighting the three lanterns at the stern :)

Just placed items on deck to see how it will be and have to admit am pleased.

On another point i am not so sure I would put three coats on the deck of satin finish. It almost looks like a sheet of ice. Hmm maybe I will sand this deck a bit. Hope it doesn't wreck it.

I would definitely go for a matt finish. Even then there is still some shininess.

Regards, Paul

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

That is one nice completed model Fortres! I have not been able to do anything on the model for quite some time. Am on a project to save the province. LOL... Can't really say too much other than I am really busy, six to seven days a week. What's with this retirement thing. Hope to put some time in on Victory soon. Do apologize to all for not even catching up. But I did have coffee with Ian when he got from Van. :)

I should have another coffee with him!

All of you keep going. I will try to post something. 12 more weeks till snowboarding too! Yikes, it's going to be a really busy winter.

Rob in Calgary

• 4 months later...

My goodness. It's Christmas day. Merry Christmas to everyone. I've been way to busy on my other project. Half way there. Have been able to squeeze a few sessions in the shipyard. Actually, it's really good way of relaxing from the project I'm on these days. Been working on the beakhead and in particular the beakhead deck. Got the deck done with pieces from the real Victory. Still some work to do around the bowsprit opening.

Lots to do still. Will I ever get this done?

Been working on the rest of the upper deck as well. Plugging away when I can. On top of my project, snowboarding season opened early this year. We have had awesome conditions since the first of November so any time I can get to the mountains, the shipyard stays dormant. And I've been taking days in the mountains. :)

post-1276-0-19716100-1482728234_thumb.png

post-1276-0-70325000-1482728245.png

Rob in Calgary

A paint job.I put a white base coat on the beakhead figuring it would make the blue a little punchier. Did anyone else do anything similar? 24 hours between coats. :( Best have coffee with Seventynet :)) Oh, darn, I have to drill those holes -- meant to do before painting. Better do that before the next coat of blue.

post-1276-0-25307500-1482814888.png

Rob in Calgary

• 4 weeks later...

Lawrence re picture on ocean - have a green cloth on wall. Took picture of the model, deleted the green background and superimposed my model on an ocean picture. Have too much on the go -- getting there ever so slowly. Thanks for comments and likes. Going to post some new pics this weekend I hope. Was able to get a few hours in the shipyard. Boarding is great this year too! Four and a half foot settled base already.

Hope you are keeping well these days there in Ontari ari ari o. :D

Rob in Calgary

Got a bit done this weekend. Not much. But every bit moves me along. For anyone who is just starting. Just plodding along, no matter how little, eventually gets complete. Even if it takes years. Hmmm... that's like life. :)

Cleaned up the deck and area for the picture. I won't be able to find anything now. LOL

Just working on the main deck. Lots of paint touch-up required. Sanded a few spots on the deck that will clean up with another coat.

post-1276-0-02054600-1485151367.jpg

Rob in Calgary

Nick: Patchy is a great word! Thanks for the comment re "the real Victory". The beakhead did work out okay. I took your suggestion and have been working on placing the brass rails to the hull. I can't imagine doing it later on in the build. One thing I found is that brass along with super glue on bare wood is very hard to move after it sits for even a few minutes. Pulls a layer of wood off with it. LOL... It was a shock. Thank goodness I only had a mm or so to move it. (messed up the angle between gun ports on one piece.

My daytime and most evenings other project is going strong for another six weeks but we just got hit with some timelines that may mean the second phase will start right away versus a few months. Ian will understand.. :) Yep, patchy!

Must admit, I'm a bit frustrated by my pace, but my other activities are just too much at this time. And to add to it, we've had 12.5 feet of snow (cumulative this season so far) at the mountains I ride so you can imagine it's pull... I don't need a :pirate41: to wake me up to drive there.

But, this week has been pretty good and took three evenings. A whole three evenings to plug away. For me "an evening" is time after 9:00 or 10:00 p.m. LOL (I just realized, it's like when the kid was growing up... Yikes!!)

Took the tarps off. And did some painting and fix-up. (A diversion more than anything) Was working in the galleries and sorting out the painting and alignment of the quarter gallery 2nd and 4th skin false baluster patterns.

Decided to scan the brass sheet 1:1. After making a pdf (in this case) I printed the sheet. And I cut the pieces out that I want to align and there you go! Lined up using the paper parts. Might prove to be useful elsewhere.

In review:
1. Scanned sheet with the scanner 1:1 - created a pdf (the brass is still inside the plastic bag)

post-1276-0-44799800-1485655962_thumb.jpg

2. Printed the sheet and cut out the "parts"

post-1276-0-26188400-1485655996_thumb.jpg

3.taped in place so I could figure out the colour patterns

post-1276-0-74770700-1485656046.jpg

4. Took this picture before the new tarps went up. (please excuse the green background - didn't pull across all the way -)

post-1276-0-20666800-1485656083_thumb.jpg

Rob in Calgary