San Francisco 2 by lamarvalley - FINISHED - Artesania Latina

Hahahaha...... a CANOE!!!!!!

OK, I'll admit it.  I built the Midwest Peterboro canoe a few years back.  It was a fun little project.  I needed it to strap onto my 25% scale Piper Cub that I fly off floats.  It is a fun project ---- but it takes more than a weekend!!!!  Great planking/finishing practice.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I highly recommend the midest canoe kit. It was my first wooden kit and it hooked me. I think any builder would love it as an escape. I've personally thought, since I now have the formers and blueprints, about building another with some fancier wood. I'd have the canoe in your list regardless, just for kicks.

I also love midwest kits, The wood milling and instructions blow AL out of the water.

Yeah, I thought the canoe would get a reaction... :D ... but it was serious since all those others are long term projects and I like that about them but there is also something about doing a simpler task and doing it very well...

A couple months ago someone on here showed a peterboro canoe that he made for a wedding present and his was beautiful... it got me thinking... so yes, one of midwest's canoes is a definite.... it's the others that I'm hemming and hawing about.... :unsure:

Difficult choice for you Randy.

You named a few ships that are great.

But a big difference….Canoe or Santisima Trinidad…...

That's a world of difference.

One you are finished in one month and the other one 5 years  :P

What ever choice you make, do it with your heart !

Then you have the most satisfaction from it !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Randy, I don't know about you but I'm a woodchuck and making sawdust is what keeps me going. I have my next model already laid out (rattlesnake) and the its onto the constitution. After looking at the plans for my constitution I question my skills to attack that model. I may tackle something like the Syren before taking on the monsterous constitution. Obviously "go big or go home" mentality. And in the end it's only money, right ? What's $500 or so dollars? Probably not too much help but am eager to see you continue your build.

Edited by sport29652

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/862-san-francisco-2-by-eric-al-190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/868-rattlesnake-by-eric-model-shipways-164-sport29652/page-2

Sitting on the shelf : MS Constitution, MS Sultana,

Wish List : MS Essex, Confederacy, and Syren, and a Victory kit by someone ?

"80% of the time it works every time."

Randy, there is nothing wrong with doing one of the larger ships and at the same time doing the canoe? some of the same skill sets, yet differences which allow for some diversion from a boring task.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

I know exactly what you mean..I had to open the Syren box today...hubby wanted to see pics of what the next build will be. A part of me soooo very much wants to get her started. But the other part of me knows I really don't have the time to devote to her like she deserves. It seems in my memory that the beginning processes are much more involved and time consuming. In the later stages you can tie a couple knots and walk away.

Gotta finish the SF first, and the end is actually in sight, now that I have made progress on the upper shrouds.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Hi Randy,

I just catched up after coming back home from a vacation...

I undestand you about your doubts to start a new model...

Like you, I lose my concentration on an old thing if I begin to be interested in a new one.

All of us are improving on the way, considering skill, knowledge, knowing how, results, experiences etc...

This improvement makes me fall in difficulty to feel satisfied whenever I return to my old interest from the new one...

The mistakes that I had done are in front of my eyes and now I have the possibility of not repeating the same ones... Then why do I struggle with the inaccurate thing if I have a chance with an untouched new one?!...

Then I lose my enthusiasm that I feel for the older... I will left it somewhere behind the corner...

The all pain I had experienced will remain fruitless. There will be no result, no satisfaction... This is a treachery to the time, to the feelings, to the pain, to the memories...

Too dramatic was there... m0161.gif

But this is my thought...

For this reason I stay far away from a new model before finishing my current build.

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Agree absolutely.  I spent a whole career juggling 100 balls at a time.  Model building doesn't fit into that scenario for me.  After a year or two of work, mistakes and lessons learned, to turn attention to the new kid in town and forsake the old friend is not proper.

She deserves a spot on the shelf......maybe not on the top shelf.  But each project will show improvement, the next better than the last.  I believe that's part of the 'point'.  Perhaps those who build the absolutely perfect model, time after time, will disagree.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I somewhat agree. If one considers each build a progression of the art of ship building, overlapping builds gives less of a picture of how you have progressed as an artisan. As I mentioned in Robbyns thread, IIRC, It would be interesting to go back after several models and rebuild a favorite just to see how much better it turns out. The second time is always better it seems.

The only place where I'd disagree is if a certain build loses its fun factor, but one should always give time as in this hobby one can easily mistake overwhelmed for a lack of fun. For some I think rigging may be a stopping issue as it is very technical and very overwhelming. This may be why some gravitate toward smaller working craft.

@ Augie, was the Admiralty design (ie no rigging) a deciding factor in choosing the Confed as a build? I can completely see that being the case as it is less work and easier to display. Especially if one leans towards the wood working aspect of building.  I often became so mindboggled watching the Syren build I couldn't even comment. With my eyes, its like "Where's Waldo", seeing what lines are new, especially once the running rigging gets started.

Don't want to hijack Randy's log Keith.  But in nutshell, yes.  The admiralty design gives me a chance to work on something substantial that is in a scale I can handle without the massive size of another fully rigged ship.  I truly enjoyed the rigging process and, if I have another left in me after Confed, might do another if I can find some room around here.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

No damage to the house Randy.  But, like everyone else, travel was (and still is) severely limited.  Ran low on lots of supplies as trucks couldn't get anywhere.  Kind of like living on a island ---- without a boat. 

Lots of folks lost almost everything or had to be evacuated by air.  With all the road damage it could be weeks before they get back home.  One of my wife's friends from 'up the hill' came over yesterday.  She was airlifted out in the basket of a Blackhawk heli Saturday.  She's 82 years old !!!!!

The response from our military was tremendous..... God bless 'em.  Now we could use the entire Army Corps of Engineers here to build some roads and bridges!  We have some pretty independent folks out here so this too will pass.

Thanks for asking!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Rigging actually is fun, although sometimes very repititious.  It really is when things start to look like a ship though.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

looks good to me Randy :)

an give each visitor a bottle of rum and they l be seeing 4 deadeyes instead of 2 :huh:

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Lookin' good from here.  Get through those upper rats and you'll be on to the fun part of rigging.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Yep Randy, those little bitty things are a fragile pain in the a**, I am glad they are done as well! Yours looks good, and in seeing them I am assured that mine are fine as well, it was only my own sense that saw them as anemic undersized things...I like your creative fix of only using 2 deadeyes instead of 3...that fix will suffice for this your "learning ship"

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

My condolences on the loss of an old friend.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I'm with Augie on this one……..

I have a Mac, so she/he is 1 1/2 years old now so i have 71/2 years to go before it goes to the dump…...

And I know what you mean with what are you doing with your time before there where any computers….

Same as the mobil phone…..

We used to do it with drums or pigeons??????

And now saving money for an other Mac ?????

Hi Randy, sorry to hear about your loss. Computer crashes can be devastating. I had mine stolen in Costa Rica when I lived down there and lost all my pictures from many years. I had them backed up to an external hard drive, but they got that too. Congrats on the promotion, welcome to the table.....we'll add another chair to the "gas bag bunch"...

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Good grief!!!!!!!

I had so many tears in my eyes about you losing your computer that I almost missed your promotion.  Congratulations CAPTAIN!!!!!!

Now my eyes are tear-filled again ----- picturing Sjors beating a drum and sending smoke signals.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

congrats captain Randy :)

best is to write down on a piece of paper what you need your computer for . that will give you a baseline on what the minimum is that you need and then depending on your budget yuo can go from there

my old computer (P4 with 2GB) run win 7 put sometimes the fan speeds up so much i think it is going to take off. funny thing i am the it guy at home and i have the worst computer lol. hoping to get it replaced somewhere end of this year maybe for my b day ;)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Hi Randy,

Shame about the loss of your computer mate, hope you didn't loss any anything important.

Smoke signals shouldn't be a problem for Sjors, makes them every time he lights up, but you are right, what the heck did we do before these things came along and enslaved us.graphics-indians-155679.gif

Congrats on the promotion.zeeman59.gif

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Randy,

Do just the same as Anja when she want the I Mac….

She goes to the Appel store and tell the guy…I want that I Mac !!!!!

2 seconds later she was poor  :(  :(  :( and walk away with a huge box ( I can carrie it for her ) 

Congrats on the upper ratlines.

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/862-san-francisco-2-by-eric-al-190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/868-rattlesnake-by-eric-model-shipways-164-sport29652/page-2

Sitting on the shelf : MS Constitution, MS Sultana,

Wish List : MS Essex, Confederacy, and Syren, and a Victory kit by someone ?

"80% of the time it works every time."