San Francisco 2 by lamarvalley - FINISHED - Artesania Latina

Your build is coming along nicely.  It looks fantastic.  Now will you stop it will all the spectacular modifications?  Every time I see one of your mods I think to myself "yeah I need to do that too..." - and right there another month to completion is added :)

Wolf

Current build : San Francisco II (AL)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the nice Birthday wishes it is always nice. :D

Ok Randy....where are the pics and the updates???? Inquiring minds and all :D

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Hum after all the rope discussion I decided to see what AL was putting in the SF1 kit for roping. Hum, looks semi-decent, but those crows nest are SO bad and that boat is even worse. But the old style cannons are one of the reason I decided yes on the SF1.

Edited by themadchemist

that boat looks like the same one in my endeavour kit . atleast the idea there is to plank it completly lol

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

are the gunport doors 2 piece on the SF2? Frame and door?

I wonder how many kits they used that one in Adrieke. I've actually been rather impressed with the AL parts, but both the swift and SF1 were older versions. How much has AL changed over time on parts quality/design I wonder. I nearly bought an AL Endeavor for $50 off ebay, it was local enough to drive to pickup. What stopped me was the bulkheads had been glued and looked twisted, I didn't want the headache of fixing that. Isnt the AL Endeavor discontinued now?

At least those crow's nests are made of wood...easy enough for you (Keith) to modify to no look so clunky. Rope looks much better than the crap I got. The boat sucks, get the $2 one, or make your own, you know you can.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Isnt the AL Endeavor discontinued now?

i know it wasnt available for awhile. thats why when i saw they had it in stock again at the hobbystore i bought it (without informing the admiral :huh:)

wow what a difference . hmm Randy not fair now i am thinking of having to buy better thread for the "endy" :piratetongueor4:

ill decide this weekend get a good close up look of the thread provided to determine how good or bad it is

Trust me Adriaan, it is worth it...sooo much nicer rope than what Al gives you!!!

Shrouds look very nice Randy, good and even too. Great start!!!!

Got my second order from Morope today...I ordered .80mm and 1.5 mm, this stuff now is closer in size to what the kit provided. I think its nice tight twist will make all the standing and running rigging look much more neat and clean. I will have to wax and stretch it all tomorrow, so it will be ready to go when I am ready next week.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

She still looks clean and neat, even though the deadeyes are twisting on you. I used a couple drops of CA on the lower deadeyes to stop that, trade off...close ups show the glue

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Looks good randy. I noticed some line tags on the shrouds. I used a good sharp pair of fingernail clippers to get mine close

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/862-san-francisco-2-by-eric-al-190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/868-rattlesnake-by-eric-model-shipways-164-sport29652/page-2

Sitting on the shelf : MS Constitution, MS Sultana,

Wish List : MS Essex, Confederacy, and Syren, and a Victory kit by someone ?

"80% of the time it works every time."

Looks good with the shouds all tied down. Excellent work my friend.

It's sometimes aggravating to always be upgrading a kit. I'm looking into boxwood or holly for the MS Pinnace and the wood will be more then the kit....but thats my problem due to my exacting standards and the look I want. I don't even want to know what that cheapo $32 Swift kit from ebay has cost me due to extra parts, because by golly I love it and it loves me back. sorta like a dog.

Somethings you just can't price....

Building a great ship isn't easy, especially as one soon learns all the upgrades available, its hard not to want better. Money is only dirty green paper anyway and a ship build is a family heirloom of pride for years to come or maybe just an outlet of artistic out-pourings, either way, no one but you forces excellence upon yourself in a hobby and I find it better to forgive myself for indulgences. Guilt ruins the hobby aspect/effect.

Besides, you used the OEM planking at least :) and it's still beautiful (page #5, post 62... I view it often, just magnificent)

I flashed back to #62 to check the post number and I agree. She's darked a bit, guess that tung oils settling in the wood. I love that stuff.

Being a good steward over money is a given, but life is short and hobbies/fun is an important budget concern. I'd never suggest taking food from the mouth of your children (don't even know if you have kids), but I'd rather spend it on Ship stuff then cable TV, which we disconnected in 2005. Its all a matter of priorities and everyones different.

I never considered roping and use to think who'd need a rope walk, its funny how 6 months changes you. :)

Florencia is a she also :D

WOW, 3 college educations. Thats more then the GNP of some poorer nations these days.

Neuroscience is some really cool stuff. My analytical chem bordered on bio-chem/pharma type stuff. There's alot to still learn about how it all works. Its funny to think that when I started my education they were just starting the Human Genome project and it finished before I did. I started school in 94 at the age of 30, I was a slow starter.

It's tough to keep up, I was just pricing a Lehninger Biochem text just the other day as we've learned a lot in the decade since my Text edition was published a decade ago. After the Victoza thing I've been restudying the metabolic pathways. Sadly most research scientists are 15 years ahead of health care and MD's. MD's forget they are scientists and must keep up. I tried to get a PubMed access from many MD's and none pay for it. So who reads all the journal literature I can't access and was paid for by tax money, sheesh!

Seriously, I'm twice published in Analytical Chemistry journal and I can NOT access my own papers, and they were funded by NSF and NIH grants. I had to change diagrams in my thesis or ask the journal permission to use my own diagrams. ARGH!

Thats why hobbys are necessary, life sometimes can get heavy and one needs to know when to work and when to play.

Loving this build, the color is so good. Nice and rich!!

And am learning too... learning that I need to learn about ropes I guess.  The AL vs morope comparison should be used as marketing for whatever the heck morope is.

Off to try to get some learning on ropes.   I think I may have to see about upgrading my strings ;)

Thanks a lot!!  :angry:

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Just came across your log Randy, some excellent work and a fine looking model.

I also live around Cincinnati, near Lebanon, and wondered if you knew if there was a modeling club nearby? All I have seen is the RC clubs.

Ben

Yeh, that sounds about right! The model shop at Dayton mall is about the same, a big selection of plastic models but about 1/2 dozen wooden ones which never seem to change.

We should ask around MSW and see if there are any more people around that we maybe able to start our own little club???

I know there is a club in Columbus but I dont want to travel that far.

Ben

Pm me if you wish to discuss.

Poor Randy...I just don't know what to say...honestly, tying the clove hitches using a needle really is very easy. I had no difficulties at all with the ratlines, unlike the stupid shrouds lol. Maybe whe should ship each other our SF's, you do the shrouds and I do the rats :P

As for psychiatric hospitals, I believe ANYONE involved in this hobby should probably be committed to one, after all, I think we are gluttons for punishment aren't we. Besides, isn't the very definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again, and each time expecting a different result? I'd say that pretty much covers you, me, Keith, Sjors, and I don't know how many others who do it, tear it out, re-do it, and then maybe tear it out again lol :huh:

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

I apologize.

you see I may have inadvertantly caused that - One snip, and down the hole we fall, It seems to take no time at all, 4 momentary lapses of reason.....

I kinda was hoping you'd pull the shrouds and my thoughts could have influenced your scissors. Not that it was poorly done, its just Florencia deserves the best. She's headed for greatness.

As far as the insane asylum, I thought that was MSW's role in all this. So who plays the role of MSW's nurse Ratched? We're all One Flew Over The Crow's Nest around here, Ship building drive one mad, luckily I was already infected, typhoid tmc.

Let the madness ensue :dancetl6:

WOW 2 hits. -  2 for 2.

I hated those twisted wire chains also.

I think we must think alot alike. IIRC I've remember you complaining about them before. I question if that one snip wasn't accidently on purpose. Insane people sometime need to have a justifiable reason and a cut shoud, well what better reason to NEED all new roping. :D

All this is going to make Florencia an amazing first build. Stepping backwards isn't always the wrong thing and the AL rope wasn't wasted, just think of it as practice roping, another great justification.

Never underestimate the human ability to justify :dancetl6:

Doing a bit of research, here's a nice looking chain setup, of course its about 100 years newer also as the San Felipe is late 1600's vs. Florencias later 1500's. Don't know if its historically correct either, but then does anyone?

http://sanfelipe1690.blogspot.com/2012/12/gun-port-lids-and-chain-plates.html

and another on a 1:1 replica

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?163691-Spainish-galleon-replica-visits-St-Augustine-FL