Gothenborg by Popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:100 scale

thanks for the good word Frank.  I have a feeling that this string won't take stain.......I should try it though,  to be sure of it.  it would be a bit too late to do it now though......no matter,  I will keep it in mind though for future builds.  I have more than enough to experiment with ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice tidy bit of work there Popeye, I wonna see more.

Your rhetoric on this hobby is spot on and it shows through a superb build. Well done.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thanks Mobbsie........the only sad part of this hobby,  are the ones that are never finished.   I'll see what I can do about keeping you and Sjors in pictures ;)    such a wonderful   'place to be'   that we have become!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I think one of the key things about the Goth build which is also a concern for me with the SF as I prepare for it is the scale. The SF is 1:90 and the Goth is even worse at 1:100 scale. My whole life I've lived with better then 20/20 vision and I find the reduction in my vision makes me wary of the small stuff. I'm not too worried on the DSotM as its fairly basic in its rigging, thats one of the reasons I chose it before the more complex stuff. Plus its 1:50 scale. Actually rigging the wheel to the tiller is probably going to be one of the toughest parts.

I took a break this week and spent a few days making a silver ring out of a 1/2 dollar for Tam, she's been waiting a while for it so I figured it would be nice since we just celebrated 28 years. That's a fun project if you've never made one.

If pictures make Sjors happy he must have been ecstatic over the barrage of pic's you layed down. I think we all like pictures though, I know I do. :dancetl6:

I fell the same way Keith......it is too bad that the Gothenborg is 1:100 scale.   this is a good subject ship for a larger scale.   I'm beginning to lose the sight I used to have.......I use reading glasses now to do some of the tiny stuff.  I have magnifiers and and an optivisor {Tom sent it to me as a gift}......but it sits in the closet, still in the box.   I have to get used to having something on my head.  it has different magnifying glass attachments for it.

post-612-0-99566400-1379680188_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-67273700-1379680200_thumb.jpg

I also have a hand magnifier...I have used it a few times.  it has lights that show things up quite well, where ever you point it

post-612-0-08906200-1379680323_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-96454600-1379680335_thumb.jpg

I know it looks like one bulb is out......it's actually a second selection.   this bulb is a littlle higher in intensity, in the event you only need a singular beam of light.

post-612-0-85571900-1379680465_thumb.jpg

even with this though,  I'm not going to put the details in as much as I want to.......there are so many cool things I see in the pictures.   I hope that in the future,  I can do what I want to......what I found out recently....I think it is quite doable.  I'm not an expert at scaling up a build,  but I would like to take another go at this ship......but at a larger scale.

I have a CD with another set of plans.   I have a few parts for this model,  and I really hate to see them go to waste,  so I checked out the possibilities at a local Staples.   I was told that they can produce them as large as I want..........I'm thinking in the back of my mind  "oh, don't tell me that" :)     but this might be a possibility for you..........of course,  scaling up means that ALL parts are scaled up.

rigging is another factor with scaling up.   there are some lines that will be hard pressed to get in there........clew lines,  sheet lines,  bunt and leech lines.......not to mention the smaller blocks to rig them with.   the unknown reason why dead eyes were used instead of hearts in the stay rigging......but lots more thought is put in by the builder,  after research and study....it was good that I was able to make them.   that is one of the problems with a smaller scale kit.......coming into a site like this,  and seeing all the added detail that would normally be found on these ships........you look at the kit and say to yourself,   it not in here.   to do some of the added detail,  you find that the parts are so small,  that they are next to impossible to manipulate {I don't know how some of you folks do it}.   .........and I slowly wander off the subject of your comment ;)

yes,  it's hard........I'm sure that the S.F. kit will make into a very nice kit......just as this one would have,  if I did it out of the box.  the only advice I could give,  would be to make use of magnifiers,  and just take your time.  if in looking at some of the other builds here,  you want to do a little extra on it,  it will be icing on the cake.   I think you'll do well with the rigging......you won't know how well,  until you get into it.

you'll have more than enough folks {friends},  will to help along the way  ;)    <afterthought>  the problem you lament, doesn't show on the DSotM.......some of the carvings are really good ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

yep,  that's one of the reasons why I'm not that keen on it......looks nice though ;)  we have a discount store here that you can buy discontinued stuff and things stores no longer carry.......you can buy eye glasses out a huge bin.   I use 1.25 for my reading glasses,  but I have a couple of other pairs.....of different strengths.   the strongest I have is 2.00.......I can't wear them for too long though.....gives me a headache!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Wow, wait a few days to read and find yourself 3 pages back...

Your rigging looks great Popeye and I love the weird but cool idea of imagining you're the little guy pulling the rope and how would it need to be for 'real' use. Oddly, that opens of a thought process that helps. :)

I too have the vision of an eagle... well, I mean I did... now I use cheaters for small stuff like reading and modeling and I too don't like a 'helmet' on my head to magnify this tiny world I seem to find enjoyable. Instead I use a magnifying lamp on a long articulating arm. It lights up and makes everything a tad bigger but took a while to get used to working around. I might try the head thing again since it is nice not to have to move the lamp around so often. I'm sure I can get used to it.... eventually... :D

Popeye,

When you start to use that magnifier doing the rigging, watch out that you don't get too close and hit the model with it.  I'm serious!  Until you get used to it, it's very easy to forget that you've got that thing sticking out from the front of your face.

John

I use some clip on magnifiers that fit over my regular glasses. They fit low on the lens and act similar to bifocals, and I can look over the top of them to see with normal vision. They do not protrude more than 1/2" from my glasses and they flip up out of the way when not needed. They are called Magni Clips and come in 2x,3x,4x and 5x. For most rigging work I use the 3x with my glasses I use for computer work. For more detailed the 4x is great. The 5x puts the focal point too close to my eyes and only one eye is used causing a loss of depth perception. The 2x is pretty weak. I'm not affiliated with the manufacturer just a happy user!

Tom

hello Tom.......welcome to the log.   I have heard of those......thankfully,  I don't need to wear glasses all the time.    I don't need them to drive yet......if I put them on,  everything's out of focus.   the glasses I speak of are really cheap........about $2.50 a pair.   they do come higher than 2.00......but I don't need stuff to be in my face........hee....hee   so, to me, it's just as cost effective to buy the glasses.   I label them so I can tell what strength they are.   all I can say is   "what a drag it is getting old"  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'm with Tom on this.  I have 2 pair of those 'flip ups' I got in the fly tying shop.  Wear the 2.0s mostly but the 4.0's do come in handy now and then.  Think they were about $10 each.  With pretty good shop lighting and an auxiliary free-standing high intensity light I'm in fairly good shape.

Of course there's always the old 'hold the mini-Maglite in your teeth' routine  :D  :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I have more updating to do here........I was dying to try out my idea of attaching the yards to the masts.

post-612-0-78101900-1380294054_thumb.jpg

I decided to assemble the spanker gaff { I hope that's what it's called} before I did the shrouds on the mizzen.   there is a lower yard that is to be attached here as well.......I'll get to that later.   the gaff was rigged with the blocks needed for the task.   there is another thread coming out of it......I had drilled holes through the gaff.   this thread will be strung with perrils and then threaded through the gaff,  fastening it to the mast.   I did have one problem though......the block under the top,  is threaded through a hole I drilled and cemented in place.   while I was threading the block,  it pulled out.......thus creating a repair :(

post-612-0-89093900-1380294530_thumb.jpg

but.....soon the repair was done and the gaf was raised into position.

post-612-0-34101200-1380294697_thumb.jpg

the pulley assemblies on the fore end of the gaff was done......

post-612-0-14378600-1380295177_thumb.jpg

then the perrils were added, and the thread was run through the hole I had drilled.

post-612-0-50953300-1380295227_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-78380100-1380295237_thumb.jpg

more adjustments were made to the height of the gaff.........I have to leave room for the lower yard.  the lift assembly was also added.

post-612-0-77240800-1380295390_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-10868400-1380295490_thumb.jpg

the vangs were added at this point.....more adjustments were done to counter the bowing of the gaff.

post-612-0-20828300-1380295595_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-07085600-1380295650_thumb.jpg

now the thread that was run through the hole in the gaff,  had cement on it.  it should be dry by now,  so I can start wrapping it around the gaff and hide that entry point.   all points here were tied off and cemented.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

with this completed,  it is time to do the shrouds.   those pesky stray lines bugged me all through the gaff assembly..........time to put them in their places.

post-612-0-52662200-1380295998_thumb.jpg

after the dead eyes were tied and painted,  the first pair of lanyards were done.   both sides.

post-612-0-58371600-1380296109_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-81418700-1380296123_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-08901900-1380296175_thumb.jpg

the second pair was done,  making sure that they didn't cross the first pair.

post-612-0-62241200-1380296709_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-14138300-1380296722_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-51207300-1380296839_thumb.jpg

I like these shots...........:)

post-612-0-31072400-1380296875_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking good, Popeye.

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Wow ...... you're moving along at warp speed, Popeye.  Looks great !!!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

It'll be nice to see this one finished up, it's such a great looking ship and you're doing a real nice job on her....... I hear you on those dangling ropes, that's what I'm looking at too !! I forgot where half of them go :huh:

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Popeye,

Nice job on the lateen yard – Gothenburg was of an age when ships still had them, and which of course was eventually to develop into the gaff.

She's certainly looking good, and can't wait to see more yards! ;)

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

sorry about that Kester.......I keep call it a spanker.   I was looking through Colin Riches  "ship modeling from kits"  book,  and I stumbled across that very term......OK.....I'm a little smarter now..... :D     thanks for the good word!  ;)

I don't have too many hanging vines Frank......don't need to be confused,  any more than I already am :D    the only ones I have are the crosstree futtocks and the lower yard lifts.   is that how you did your yards?  thanks as well for the good word ;)

thanks Anja and Augie......everything has it's own time...it's nice to going in the forward motion though :D   thanks for the good words.

one more pair Sjors.........I swear!   while I'm doing the lower ratlines,  I can be shrouding the upper part :)  thanks for the good word!

thanks Capt. Andy.........has a nice ring to it.....don't it  ;)    it's nothing compared to the work your doing....fantastic!

thanks Bob...........appreciate the good word!

thanks to those who hit the like button as well.   I did leave the main shrouds for a reason.......there are a few cosmedic aspects that need to be done.   these are things I wanted to do.....tabling her didn't help the matter.   I will add them in for the next update.  again,  thanks to all for your kind comments......I feel like I accomplished something  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

oh John..........you kidder you!   tee-hee-hee :D    I wish someone had told me that earlier.   I was looking for the name of the lines that hold the shrouds together at the futtocks,  when I saw it.   I learned my word for the day ! thanks for the good word  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye,   Wow really great progress my friend. She's looking absolutely great, rightly it's what we have come to expect from all your builds. B)  B)

I think I prefer your termination mate " Latreen Spanker " sounds like a fetish to me. :D  :D :D  ( this is to go no further )

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

( this is to go no further )

mobbsie

Bl**** He** I hope so.... :wacko::P:D

But then again, I think Popeye's the only one whose's log has not yet been...um.... shall we say "flushed" down the..... uh.... hrm........ :huh:

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

But wait.....I thought those were up in the head on a ship of this rate?

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Coming from our resident expert (real) sailor, I shall heed this advice.

Look out below :D  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976