Gothenborg by Popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:100 scale

Darned if I didn't completely miss the muffins  !  Any photos :D  :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

thanks Mobbsie and Bob......I think I'll stay on this build a while ;)

oh Frank......I can only work on one build at a time....although the Goth and the Half Moon are the only builds on the tables.  I quickly took a picture to my space {that's one dead soldier} to give you all an idea of how I work them.  this will answer your question as well,  Tom.

post-612-0-81375700-1376781548_thumb.jpg

the drafting table is the main table....the goth is not leaving this table unlesit is finished.  I have some mast dowels in the Half Moon......I did it for my grand sons.  I let them pick up things with the tweezers.   I think it's about time I introduce them to snap together stuff [it'll drive their father {my son} crazy} ....hee..hee

I try not to involve too many builds,  unless something needs extended drying time {that's another dead soldier}.  I have had a hankering to pull out the United States gun deck and start planking,  but if I do that,  I'm going to want to do more.......and I don't want to muddy the water for the Gothenborg.  so,  I'll just play with these two builds for the moment.  I have also been in serious conversation with the admiral.  I told her of my thought not to put sails on the Gothenborg.....she thinks otherwise ;)  I don't need to be my own worse critic.......I have her :)

you are correct though.......so much to do,  sometimes I get confused,  but it is obvious that I need to get the masts in place before I can go any further.  more progress soon ;)

the muffins was a bit of a interlude.  I went out with Gibbs and brought back a fairly decent amount of black rasberries.  I came in and asked the admiral where the recipe was.  she looked at them and told me I didn't have enough........so, she went to the local store and bought some.  they were larger than the ones that I picked.   it was quite funny working together....I can see why she prefers to do this by herself.  I poured the flour in the measuring cup........of course she doesn't do that.....and she looked to make sure I poured the right amount.  when I poured it into the mixer.......I found the scoup that she uses....didn't even notice it in there!   Hee.....Hee   {another dead soldier}.   the mix made twelve of them......I tried to remove them from the muffin pan,  but the big berries had settled to the bottom and stuck there.......there were voids in the bottoms of some of the muffins.........and there I am with a fork, eating the berries and muffin that had stuck to the bottom.   there are only three of them left now,  I will probably take them to work tomorrow.    they came out very well.......and they tasted great!  my grandsons liked them as well.   no,  I didn't take any pictures of them.  perhaps I should have  ;)

this post took longer than I expected......it was interupted by a disturbing phone call from my friend in Canada.......it prompted me to call the provincial police......I don't know what is going on....he wouldn't tell me.  I hope everything's OK.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye,

Hope everything's ok with your friend.   Muffins?  And shipbuilding?  You are multi-talented.  The best it seems the rest of us can come up with is popcorn.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yeah. ditto Mark on your friend, hope everything is well with him, So much crap is going on these days, it's unbelievable...........

the muffins sounded  real good, you made me get the munchies :P  :P Ahhh..... I see your secret on your multi builds.... two tables!! :D

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Popeye,

Do you raspberries growing wild?  Pretty cool!  We only have blackberries growing wild here, and you have to be very careful as they're a noxious weed and the bush might have been poisoned!!

Hope everything is OK with your mate in Canada!

John

No doubt Popeye, your a master of multitasking in modelbuilding :)

Hope all is ok with your friend

Børge

Current build(restore, bashing)
BB582 "Dragen" Scale 1:12

On hold: BB534 Bolougne Etaples Scale 1:20

Not started: Model Shipways MS2040 USS Constitution 1:76

:piratebo5: 

thanks everyone.......I still haven't heard anything.  perhaps I'll find out more tomight.

I remember the old days......when large patches of these berries could be found......blackberries,  black rasberries,  rasberries....and even blueberries.  as kids we used to pick them and bring them to mother.......and wait for the reviews.   another nut we had around our area,  was hazel nuts......we used to pick them,  and put them in the hay loft in paper bags and wait fore them to turn brown.  then peel the dried covering crack and eat......    there was so much to be found in the wild.....the only thing one had to worry about when venturing in these areas .......was bears  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Nothing eats blueberries like a bear!  Let them have all they want, don't get between Mom and the kids and they won't bother you.  Except for your recipe :D .

I trust things work out for you up North.  I sense your deep concern.  Good luck, Popeye.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

thanks everyone......I still don't know anything yet.   I will wait til tomorrow evening to call....I was kind of hoping that he would call me,  or the O.P.P.  {Ontario provincial police} might call.   it was quite unnerving.......writing about muffins one moment....the next fielding a call like that!  all I can say,  is he definitely was NOT himself,  and very agitated.

I miss so much of the old days.....when I was young ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye,

We'll hope that you get a call from him not the OPP.  For now, let's hope that the old saying arout no news being good news is true.  I think we can all say we wish we were younger. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks Shawn!  hope to make more progress it it this week  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye,

Beautiful work on the masts, bowsprit and rigging, my friend  :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

thanks Aldo........I was a lazy putz yesterday.........but today,  I play catch up!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hi all.......just putzing around,  doing some little stuff.....all aimed at getting the main mast cemented in place.   needed to make up more blocks to tie....and I also made some for the deck around the main mast.

post-612-0-17630400-1377257601_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-37366800-1377257612_thumb.jpg

then I got the idea wo begin work on the skylight.  it's made of plastic....made the same way as the AmericA's skylight.......first thing was to cut out the panes of plastic {glass}

post-612-0-11657800-1377257796_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-62516400-1377257805_thumb.jpg

after this brief interlude.....it was back to tying blocks.   there are the brace rigging and the deck.

post-612-0-11397400-1377257902_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-31296300-1377257914_thumb.jpg

with all the blocks in place,  the main mast is cemented in place......I can add the others later, should there be any more.  the blocks for the mizzen  {spanker?} yard were also cemented in place.

post-612-0-23416900-1377258247_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-48697300-1377258259_thumb.jpg

I hope to do a bit more today........enjoy  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking good Popeye.  I love the skylight.

And look whose back  :)  :)  :) :)  :)  

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Ah, The rigging is started.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Looking good Popeye.  I love the skylight.

And look whose back  :)  :)  :) :)  :)  

Wayne,

I was always with you guy's...

Not on the forum because of the error on the internet , but I watch a lot of times at my I phone.

I only hate it to send a message from there.

And you where always on my mind ( I know that song )

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

You are such a romantic Sjors. :o

Love the skylight Popeye and the rigging is coming along nicely, I love to see them starting to get dressed. :)  :)

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thanks very much everyone!  now that the main mast is in place.....I can start doing more in the rigging dept.   with the skylight,  you can see what I have to work with.....the same as the AmericA.   I should have removed the excess from the underside....but no matter,  I can still do it.   then I'll have to make a frame around the outer edge.   the only thing I got around to doing,  was the lower main stay.  with that,  I made a small miscalculation with the length of the boom.....it's a bit too long.   it can be shortened,  so it's not that bad.   thanks for all the good comments....and to those who 'liked' it as well  :)

yes, I am glad I have extra blocks John......I believe I'm dipping into them already  :)

that's Willie Nelson Sjors.   if you think that song is a hoot.....Willie  Nelson and Johnny Cash do a real good live set of the song 'Ghost riders in the sky'.......it's worth it to look it up,  Believe me!  ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

yes I did..........it's a good thing i called the police for him.......he ended up in the hospital.  he has an incurable cancer,  but he was having a bout with another medical problem he has.  his prognosis isn't good,  but he is doing better for the moment.  thanks for asking Anja.

....and yes,  the ship is coming along.   I mentioned a small miscalculation with the boom........figured I'd give you a good chuckle

post-612-0-17972900-1377397379_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-36412600-1377397397_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-71278800-1377397413_thumb.jpg

I can shorten it....I have enough to work with.   I think I'd better get the mizzen in place,  so I can complete the standing rigging.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks John and Mark.........no.....I think I'll fix it.....the laws of probability isn't on my side on this one......LOL!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'm sorry your friend is facing what he is Popeye.  He is fortunate to have you on his side.

Now......about that removable mainstay  :)  :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976